Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #76
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,501
Also important info:

Life Cycle @ 10% DOD: [?]2000

This means that if the battery is cycled to 10% Depth of Discharge (where the battery still has 90% reserve capacity) then recharged, that it will perform near/at spec for 2000 cycles. Beyond this number of cycles the performance of the battery will begin to fall off both in max current and reserve capacity.

One of the key pieces to long battery life is charging it to full after discharging it within a reasonable time period, and/or maintaining with "smart" charger.

Batteries left unmaintained or in a state of discharge will fail sooner. Checkout all the battery maintenance and management on a electric vehicle for information about how important this is.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #77
Bill English
ICUUCME

Oddometer: 247
Thumb A measure of what makes a battery superior.

I am fairly certain all the "replacement" batteries listed have almost identical technology in the chemical storage. As Head2Wind points out the maintenance of a battery probably influences the performance a heck of a lot more than the incremental differences between each battery available for replacement in your KTM.
What appears obviously different between them is:
Weight, size, cell capacity, package material and quality.
The WPZ14S is 9.8 lbs compared to the 5.9 lbs of the PC310 from Odyssey.
Immediately, I would think the weight differences certainly suggest the ability of a manufacturer to contain more electrolyte and electrode material in a given package. So,... it makes sense that the PC310 does not offer as much capacity, reserve, or CCA compared to the others. But that doesn't make it a bad battery. It is what it is.

To me, taking everything into consideration, the nicest, most efficiently packaged battery appears to be the B106... but by a negligible margin. And for what is readily available in the product literature, the stock battery electrical specs are as good as any, especially discharge capacity. Obviously Braille provides many additional electrical specifications to persuade people to purchase the product, hopefully based on verifiable tests. Like I said, the Braille product looks, smells, and performs good.

If we were to have all of the PCA, or other electric spec data for the other manufacturers, the picture perfect battery may be as confusing as ever. As mentioned by other people, the only electrical rating standard that seems to be readily available for each battery is CCA at 0 deg F. And all of them are equitable at between 200 and 250 CCA except the PC310.

However, I think that most of us agree that the CCA rating is useful, but does not describe battery discharge efficiency for real world parameters.
Theoretically, a battery should provide the same amount of energy regardless of the discharge rate, but in reality... internal energy losses cause the efficiency of a battery to vary at different discharge rates and temperatures. Perhaps in this respect one could consider battery fatigue as an indicator of battery quality/ durability. Example: PCA at 30 seconds @ 0 deg F... While another person might only look at the 5 second data @ 80 deg F as a litmus. After all, who is starting the bike for 30 seconds.

Cheers.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #78
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,501
Significant differences in quality usually are associated with the purity and type of lead used for the plates, either AGM or some sort of "starved" electrolyte. There is some special magik to the alloy/creation of the lead that increases the porosity of the surface, in effect increasing the surface area available for the electrolyte. Some batteries are better than others in this aspect.

The connection of the plates within each cell and across each cell to make it into a "battery" are different between high and low quality batteries. Also the size and quality of the terminals on the exterior. All you have to do is compare a WalyWorld battery terminals to a Odyessy, Braille or even the Yuasa (they are typically "top shelf quality) to see the difference.

another way to compare batteries, provided that the case is made in a similar way and material and they are of similar dimension, is weight. Basically, more LEAD equals more capacity/ability to do work and therefore will weigh more. Of course this is not completely fair because of what I pointed out previously regarding all the other stuff....

Aint this fuN?
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #79
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,083
is this price close to being correct for an OEM Yuasa?

$202.xx. (includes tax etc) at a dealer discount.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #80
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty
is this price close to being correct for an OEM Yuasa?

$202.xx. (includes tax etc) at a dealer discount.
Check a little further. They're listed in many places for ~135 USD.
Here's one of the first places I checked:
http://www.theridestop.com/servlet/t...-YTZ14S/Detail

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 02-16-2009 at 11:04 AM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #81
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,083
Thanks CP. Retail through my dealer was almost 244!!

Both prices seems way high. I'll either haggle on them or buy the Braille online.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #82
Rootkiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Head2Wind has the Braile for sale on his site.
Rootkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #83
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,215
How about this one for the list

Koyo
azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #84
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Koyo Now in the HOW

Thanks for the low priced alternative, AZ.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #85
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Thumb Good Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi
How about this one for the list

Koyo
I've had on for about 7 months and I've not had an issue but the bike lives on a battery tender when at home.

I'm considering the dual battery setup though. Has anyone installed a 1 way switch with an override yet? (I think that's the correct terminology, I'm not an electrocution typ0e of guy.)
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
RXV_Poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #86
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 644
Also Louis.de, one of the largest motorcycle equipment suppliers in Germany and Europe, has its own brand called Delo Power. There is one type which fits to 990. More infor here. (in German). The price is ~116 Euros.

I picked up my bike from the dealer couple of days ago. They said the alternator was not working and they changed it within the warranty. According to them the battery is OK. I will wait and check by not using the bike for a week. If the bike doesn't start after a week then I will order this Delo or a Braille from UK.
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #87
DieselTwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Boyz which battery is better YUASA YTZ-14S or INTERSTATE FAYTZ-14S.
Yuasa is 20$ more Thanx
DieselTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #88
Critic
More or less!

Oddometer: 1,236
Radek, I am also looking ! The dealer orders the Interstate, Sears is a $100 deference. I am going to do a look around. I thought about putting getting two smaller batteries, but that would end up being a hassle. Going to get more paint today, H-Depo gave me credit for 2 gallons, the color was way off!
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #89
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
I am now looking for replacement

We have a Battries Plus strore they say they have a replacement for $80 (XTAX16-BS) I'll check it out.
ridewestKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #90
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Another source

This seems to cross to an Energizer 14BS our Checker (aka Kragen) sells this for $70
ridewestKTM is offline   Reply With Quote