Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,546
anyone know about honda CM400A hondamatic?

a buddy of mine gave me a heads up on a 80 CM400A twin cylinder hondamatic.

my dad's health has prevented him from riding these past few years (very weak left leg/foot). he sold his bike a few years ago (honda valkyrie) and has been pittling with his 75 z1900, but it is not ready to ride. so he bought a tw200.

he likes it, but foot still gives him fits...(can't shift). so i bought tw from him, that way he can still ride it if he wants to. the hunt was on to find something he could ride... told my buddy about it one day while we were out riding. couple weeks later he sends me a link to a 80 honda CM400A hondamatic. i have heard of the 750 hondamatic, but never heard of the lil 400.

turns out it was only 25 miles from the house, so, we went today and looked at it. it looked really good for sitting in garage for 15 yrs. turns out, original owner bought it, rode it some, and let it sit, then died. it is totally original with less than 7,000 miles. it didn't have a battery in it, so we couldn't try everything to verify it worked. owner assured us it did and wrote up bill of sale saying he would refund if not satisfied.

so, after dad sat on it and could flat foot it with knees slightly bent...it was a done deal.

we got it home and stuck it in garage, i had heater going as i was installing a set of hand warmers on my klr. he could not help but wrench on it some, we did not have a battery that fit, but my old klr battery would work if i sat it next to bike and hooked it up. but nothing worked....nothing! i fiddled with fuses and found all of em just crumbled in my fingers. replaced em all...turned ignition on, and everything worked! had to replace one bulb, but other than that...everything worked. it cranked over great, but would not fire. we removed air box cover and filter....squirted some starter fluid in airbox....and it fired right off, for about 3 sec, then died.

tank looks nice and clean, but im sure carbs are gunked up and need cleaned. he got so excited when everything came on, that he started working on it some more. then when i got it to run, i thought he was gonna pee himself.

this is when we got it in garage.

turns out this thing is pretty easy to work on, took all of 5 min to get seat and tank off, and no surprises, the bike is complete and wiring un molested.

fuse panel looks like it has never been touched...and very clean.

the dash, no tach...just neutral, low and high range. and every light works!

dad stayed out there with me and worked on it for couple hours. it was about 25 degrees out, but heater kept garage pretty warm.

and one thing he thought was the cats ass...heel toe shift!!

we were trying to figure out heel toe shift for tw, but weather got to cold.

the little slushamatic is tight with no leaks, the engine sounded good and did not smoke.

so far so good, he is already looking forward to warm weather so we can go for a ride again, it's been a few years since we have done that.

he has already hit up ebay for a service manual...

so, u guys know anything about these little machines. if so....do tell.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Great find! When I worked at a Honda dealer, the older Honda tech had one that he would ride to work every once in a while. Very cool bike, not too slow either. I'm envious that you'll get to ride with your dad.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
Man thats cool as hell. I never would have guessed it was in that good of shape.

Tell your dad I'm looking forward to seeing it on the road this coming spring.

And there is my usual finders fee.....................One ice cold beer

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 690
Waiting for ride report. Good story. Working on that bike is great therapy. Don't ask how I know. Racer07
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Quote:
And there is my usual finders fee.....................One ice cold beer

no worries there, the fridge in garage is usually stocked.

that lil 400 is all he has been talkin about...all night.

not to bad for $450..
Old 12-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Quote:
I'm envious that you'll get to ride with your dad.

it's been a while, a long while. and i know it's bugged him. i take off nearly every weekend for a ride somewhere.

i believe his long trips are over, but i am lookin forward to some day long rides this summer.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
ScottS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
An idea I heard of from some one with an artificial left leg. The guy had a goldwing he rode. He rigged it up to shift with door lock solenoids. Buttons for up and down. I never saw it in action nor how it worked.

Scott
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 305
My friend Greg had one when we were in college. His was blue. It struck me as a competent little bike, if a bit poky.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,845
Ah, my very first motorcycle! Wish I still had it, too. It was a fun little bike, got great mileage, and needed very little in the way of maintenance. I'm going to try to find one next Spring for my 16-year-old daughter to ride.

Congrats on a great bike!!

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #10
Kismet
vagrant philosopher

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar1220
no worries there, the fridge in garage is usually stocked.

that lil 400 is all he has been talkin about...all night.

not to bad for $450..
For almost ANY money...be hard to find something that would make him that happy --- again.

You just told a "Christmas Story."

My best to him, from one geezer to another.

'75 R90/6
'78 R100/7, well really, R80/7
'87 Radian/fj600
'81 C70--IT'S ALIVE !!!!
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,993
Great bikes. I'm 200 pounds and it would do 75-80 easy (and with a windshield).

Sitting that long I'd strongly suggest you freshen the front brake hydraulics. Kits for the caliper and master cylinder will be on eBay for almost nothing. eBay member georgefix is who I normally procure that stuff from. He'll also have fork seals, which you will likely need.

Chuck those tires in the rubbish heap no matter how much tread is on them. That old, they'll be hard as marbles.

The carbs are easy - take 'em off and have someone ultrasound them. No muss, no fuss. They'll come back squeaky clean and ready to go.

Here's mine as it was when I sent it to a new home:

Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

sweet bike, i am gonna send him a pic of that bike. he has a windshield that came with it that looks just like it. also has a rear rack in basement that came off another bike. he has already mentioned installing it.

those cases are nice, he will get a kick out of it.
thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #13
RoadDad
n13ub

Oddometer: 413
Lucky Guy

You're one lucky guy to be able to work on the bike with your father. My dad was a biker also and I would give anything I have for that opportunity. Hope to meet him on the road next summer.
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

i tried all year to get him to come with just for the lunch meets, after that he could head back home and i continue with our planned ride. he wouldn't do it. apparently shifting was that much of a problem..

i believe this honda is gonna work out nicely.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
Know a girl that rides one

Very similar to original poster's bike, good condition, and ridden fairly often in warm weather. Trying to convince her to go on rides with me, but she is not too confident in the bikes reliability. I keep calling it a scooter.