Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #16
Bagmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Both of those are nice looking Hondamatic's. I bought the 750 version quite a few years ago and moved to Texas on it. I ran a plexifairing 3 windshield on it and trunk and bags.

I saw a real nice dressed out 750 on Ebay 2 years ago that I would have bought in a heart beat if I hadn't already bought the 82 Goldwing I have now first.

That 400 would make a nice starter bike for my son. Anybody wanna sell one?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #17
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,823
I don't know a lot about the Honda automatics but...

You may be able to use a Moose atv hand shifter and take the foot out of the equation. I got one of these for my dad's atv when he lost some mobilty, he loves it. I dont' see any reason it wouldn't work on the Honda, if you get the right one.

http://www.portyamaha.com/eshopprod_...ISION174_H.htm
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #18
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,611
If your Dad's RIGHT foot is still working well you might look into a conversion for moving the shifter to the other side- this was done all the time for dirt-track machines, in addition to the older british machines (and some european ones) that came that way standard. I've seen a number of XS650s so equipped, and photos of transfer linkages run either behind or under the engine. There are also electric speed shifters for roadracing that could be rigged to just about any machine with a little tinkering to allow a pushbutton shift.

That's all should your Dad find the 400A to be lacking, naturally. There is also always the 750A if you can find one, or for big bucks you could set him up with a brand new Aprilia Mana automatic.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #19
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
The problem is that the clutch is almost always on the same side as the shifter. and having weight bouncing around on the shifter shaft is usually not a great idea for high mileage bikes.

A drag bike air shifter might be a more adaptable idea for the manual shift bike
No clutch on a Hondamatic. :-)
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #20
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,311
thanks for the replys guys, but don't think i will be needing em anymore. unfortunately...... dad passed a couple weeks ago.

fell and broke his hip in jan, while completing rehab in nursing home he got pneumonia... then went in hospital where it progressed to double pneumonia. didn't take long after that. he had a weak heart to start with.

i miss him so much.......

i will try and get lil honda runnin and i will tool around on it. just gotta figure out what he did with title, don't think he ever took it to bmv. when i get it going i will hit this thread again.

thanks again everyone.

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #21
Bagmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I've had to bury both of my in laws in the last 8 weeks in Texas, real hard on the wife. We just got back home Saturday night from burying her Mother.

Let us know how you come along on getting that 400A running again.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #22
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,959
Sorry to hear about your dad. :(
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #23
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

got a lil work done to the 400, dad said the carbs were a real bitch to remove, which is why he never got em off. took me all of 10 min and they were on the bench. i heard pine sol does a great job as a carb cleaner, so picked up a couple bottles and disassembled the carbe and gave em a good 2 day soak. removed em and hit em with power washer, blew em out with compressed air and re assembled em.

i gotta admit, the pine sol worked, they came out very clean.... and the barn even smells squeaky clean..

put the carbs back on, but there was no clamps on intake boots or air box boots... no idea where they went... or if they were even there from po. slapped in a new set of plugs, but had to remove a broken plug from plug wire boot thingy, which took more time than re assembling carbs!! damn plug was stuck in there but good. got a charge on old klr battery and slapped tank back on (with old gas), hit the button... and the damn thing fired right up!! no smoke, no weird noises, no leaks.

it's in need of a good cleaning, but will worry bout that later. gonna give er an oil change... and pick up a correct battery this weekend. it needs a good bit more work, but at least i know i got something to work with now.

i'll update again when i get it off the lift and take er for a spin. and still gotta find that damn title.

Cockroaches & KLRs.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #24
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,959
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #25
Bagmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds good but please don't run anymore of that old gas through it. Write down the VIN, take that and your Dad's death certificate to DMV and request a replacement title for the lost one.

Good luck on getting it back on the street.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #26
c1skout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Man, sorry about your Dad, mine passed about 3yrs ago & I still miss him. If I were you I'd get that 400 on the road, figure out somewhere he would have liked to gone and take that bike for a ride.
c1skout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #27
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Quote:
Sounds good but please don't run anymore of that old gas through it. Write down the VIN, take that and your Dad's death certificate to DMV and request a replacement title for the lost one.

Good luck on getting it back on the street.
i am goin tomorrow to pick up some fresh gas, gotta get some for mower anyway. problem with title is.... dad didn't put it in his name. we picked it up and the guy signed and gave us the title, but dad never went to license branch. the guy never dated it, so... if i can find it... i am straight.

Quote:
Man, sorry about your Dad, mine passed about 3yrs ago & I still miss him. If I were you I'd get that 400 on the road, figure out somewhere he would have liked to gone and take that bike for a ride.
thats easy, he wanted so badly for us to go on one more ride anywhere, destination didn't matter. just wanted to be able to ride again.

i will get it sorted and ride it. i put some clamps on carb boots and changed oil today. put air filter back in and also installed air box cover. fired it up and it runs smooth as silk, responds well with throttle. last time it was registered was in 94. can't believe it runs so well.

Cockroaches & KLRs.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

still got the 400 in barn and it runs well, found the title and bill of sale too. i know it's been a couple years, but still plan on getting this thing legal and got a trip planned. a trip we started many years ago thru st. louis in route to branson. we started it, but foul weather prevented us from finishing.

hopefully this summer.... i will finish it.

when i do... i will update.... stay tuned.

Cockroaches & KLRs.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #29
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

not forgot bout this thread just not got to work on the lil bugger in a while.. today though i did a proper cleaning on carbs..

they weren't really that bad but pumper was completely clogged, which explains why it was so laggy and un responsive now is all sparkly clean..

the front brake system was fubar. no pressure and leaked... also piston siezed. we totally tore it down and cleand from lever to pads. a rebuild kit got it working just like new!

hope to get it back together and running by next weekend. plan to put some miles on it this year..

Cockroaches & KLRs.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #30
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,370
Glad to hear that you still working on the bike. You Dad is looking down and hoping you will get it on the road.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote