ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,324
Another 276c Happy Camper

Got my 276C Garmin yesterday from GPSDiscount (Thanks for the tip Arch). I also got the Touratech 176 MvG mount from CycoActive. Took a while to get it all sorted out...

I cut a hole in the mount to allow the power plug to "float" in the GPS and not press on the mount. I also (not so gently) put a small bend in the plate to allow the gps to seat deeper in the mount, relieved the area arount the antenna to allow better clearance, and lenthened the verticle slot that the GPS lip fits into. Having used the MvG mount for the GPS V, this isn't quite as secure a mount

The hole on the right, the deeper antenna hole, the longer verticle slot, and the not so subtle bend in the back plate.

The RAM Mount

The other downside is I'm using a RAM mount to hold this on the handle bars. The unit is too big and heavy to use this set-up for serious off road. I'm looking into a shorter arm that is a straight shot either up or down rather than from the side like I have it now.

Took a short ride this morning and this thing ROCKS. The redraw when using the in/out buttons is instantaneous. Very easy to read. Lots of information, also easily readable. It seems to have a better reciever than the V as well. It will sync up in the garage where the V wouldn't.

So far my only bitch is the track function. It looks like you can't turn it off. I'm still looking to see if I can. It certainly isn't a problem, the unit has computing power to spare. As an example I input the MOA National site in as a waypoint and told it to route from Home to there. Took less than a minute. Can wait for the "off course" testing (one of my bitches about the V, too slow).

Now to wait for the 256Meg card

Gerg

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
First of all, Gerg!
As for turning off the track log, hit Menu twice, click down to Track on the left, then over to Record Mode to the right. Gotta be out of simulator mode, though.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
jcolombo
Lurking Moderator

Oddometer: 1,248
I have short arm

I have a shorty arm (2"?) I'm not using - PM me if you want it.

JC
jcolombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolombo
I have a shorty arm (2"?) I'm not using - PM me if you want it.

JC
JC, I've got an assortment due to fitting to three different bike. I've got the short arm too. Just need to tinker with it a bit.

Thanks for the offer.
Gerg

Old 05-08-2004, 05:44 AM   #5
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,030
looks good! which RAM clamp is that on the bars, the large one they make?
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 05:57 AM   #6
CroMag
Gelande Sauté It

Oddometer: 3,044
Gerg, I see a lot of guys using the RAM mounts, but doesn't that elevate the GPS too much (aka blocking the instruments from view)? What about vibration transmitted up the arm?

I have a Ricky bar setup, same as yours, as best I can tell. I'm currently running a GPS V, and got a bolt on cross bar from Touratech, which allowed me to use the Touratech mount which uses two clamps directly onto the crossbar. Keeps the unit below the instruments and centered on the bar.

Just curious cause thanks to you ffs, I'm now lusting for a 276.

Mondo Slabo to Alabamo
CroMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:38 AM   #7
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroMag
Gerg, I see a lot of guys using the RAM mounts, but doesn't that elevate the GPS too much (aka blocking the instruments from view)? What about vibration transmitted up the arm?

I have a Ricky bar setup, same as yours, as best I can tell. I'm currently running a GPS V, and got a bolt on cross bar from Touratech, which allowed me to use the Touratech mount which uses two clamps directly onto the crossbar. Keeps the unit below the instruments and centered on the bar.

Just curious cause thanks to you ffs, I'm now lusting for a 276.
CroMag

I use the RAM for portability. I did have my V mounted on the handlebar clamp before I got multiple motorcycles. With the RAM it's easy to move from bike to bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeterson
looks good! which RAM clamp is that on the bars, the large one they make?
Brian, It's the "P" mount that's listed Here

Gerg

Old 05-08-2004, 08:53 AM   #8
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
- An Alternative -

I bought MiGSel's GS GPS bracket and installed it on my GS. It looks exactly like this:

I disassembled the stock Garmin marine mounting bracket and attached a RAM Round-Flat Base to the bottom (item A) - then tie it all together with a short RAM arm (item I).

I position the GPS up and to the left a bit where it doesn't block any instruments at all. With the short arm at an angle, there is no vibration and the thing is solid.

I give it two thumbs up.

For the DRZ, I'm waiting for Touratech to modify their 176 MvG mount so that everything (including the cable) will fit perfectly. I'm told "they're working on it."

Marc

Old 05-08-2004, 10:29 AM   #9
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Yeah, I'll probably buy the correct mount when it becomes available
I put some more miles on it last night and found that it does obscure too much of the dash (idiot lights). I've move it further out on the bars and I'm using the shorter (shortest made) arm. Much better position.

I like the speedo mount idea but after the run to Crown King in 2002 I'm not sure that's the setup for REAL rough roads. I lost several bolts holding the front end on during that trip. The hole dash moves A LOT under big vibration.

Still tweaking And again, thanks Arch... got the tracking turned off... there is just SO MUCH this unit does I'm going to start carrying the manual with me

Gerg

Old 05-08-2004, 11:59 AM   #10
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Ok, first MAJOR Bitch... You can NOT leave the unit plugged into the power outlet on the bike. It won't turn totally off. If the until sees external power it wants to charge. BUT when it's charged it shows on screen as "Charging Completed" but is still drawing power to tell you that.

What's up with THAT
Time to rig up a switch on the power outlet!

Gerg

Old 05-08-2004, 01:55 PM   #11
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Gerg, the thing draws very little power even during use, so leaving it plugged in with that super dim charge complete logo displayed is no big deal. Might as well be worried about the clock on the R.I.D.

Arch
Old 05-09-2004, 10:23 AM   #12
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Gerg, the thing draws very little power even during use, so leaving it plugged in with that super dim charge complete logo displayed is no big deal. Might as well be worried about the clock on the R.I.D.

Arch
Ok, it draws .068 to .070 amps in the "Fully Charged" mode according to the Fluke 77. If I left it on for a week at a time, which isn't unusual, that's 11 amps. Probably not enough to kill the bike but enough to not want to leave it on all the time.

As for the clock, 1 AAA battery will keep an equilivent clock running for a year. So I'm not too worried about that

I've already flattened the New Oddesy by leaving the V1 on for a week. Don't want a repeat of that

Gerg

Old 05-09-2004, 11:20 AM   #13
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Well, instead of installing a switch in your power outlet's cirquit, you could just wire the 276 into a key-switched power source. Given that it self charges it's own battery, there'd be no downside to that as it'll always be ready to run on its own power off the bike anyway.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:24 PM   #14
Gerg OP
Cupcake

I've sent a request to Garmin to add this to the software... one more option. On/Charge/Off. That'd be the best solution. but you're right, key switched will work. If you want to leave it on it does give you 30 seconds to say so

The more I play with the 276C, the more I like it!!!

So when do the 256MB cards hit the streeets?

Gerg

Old 05-09-2004, 12:27 PM   #15
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg
...So when do the 256MB cards hit the streeets?

Gerg
I was told two (2) more weeks on Friday...

Marc