ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #91
UtahDirt
What happened to the Sun?

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by He-Lob
Well,

I think you could have emailed Garmin and told them what had happened. They would have given you an Unlock code, I'm guessing. I mean, why wouldn't they have?

When you actually talk to a person at Garmin, they're quite willing to help. Their copy protection policies on software suck, though. And you have the perfect example of that.
Gee why didn't I think of that
I did, they don't on any locked product, you must buy new software. In fact if the previous owner registered oniline with Garmin then gives you the unlock code there is no way to change it into your name. You will need his online password to do anything. No information change at all. Its better now, not that long ago City Select was not available for purchase, it is now.
I don't think it sucks because If I sold a product that was being copied over and over I would want to stop it. Somehow stealing has become kinda ok.
UtahDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #92
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDirt
Gee why didn't I think of that
I did, they don't on any locked product, you must buy new software. In fact if the previous owner registered oniline with Garmin then gives you the unlock code there is no way to change it into your name. You will need his online password to do anything. No information change at all. Its better now, not that long ago City Select was not available for purchase, it is now.
I don't think it sucks because If I sold a product that was being copied over and over I would want to stop it. Somehow stealing has become kinda ok.
Well, let me tell you what happened with me. I had a GPS V and purchased a 276C. No problem, right? Since Garmin allows you an unlock code for 2 GPS's, everything should go ok, huh?

I was going to sell the GPS V. Then I found out the problem you mentioned earlier. The City Select software was registered to me. If I included it in my sale (and, duh, I'd have to), the purchaser would not be able to register the software, since it was already registered to me. The purchaser could use the software, but could only enter the unlock code and not the registration key.

(I was informed about this from some previous posts on this site, and from a Garmin customer service rep. Nice lady)

Well, I don't think this is that big a problem, but, jeez. Someone buys a used gadget from you, they should be able to register it, huh?

I got worried that this registration issue would cause problems, so instead of selling it, ended up giving it to my sister in law. (She had seen my wife use it for Garage Sailing, and wanted to do that also). I didn't want anyone from this site buying it, then having problems, ultimately being upset with me. But shouldn't I have the right to sell something I own?

I finally got the City Select software to work with the 276C, although had to call Garmin to make it happen.

So, 2 problems resulting from Garmin's copy protection scheme:
- "couldn't" sell my GPS V
- had hell getting the software to work with the 276.

These problems shouldn't have happened. But they happened because Garmin has this utterly stupid copy protection scheme. It cost me MONEY! It cost me TIME in setting up the 276. Neither of which I feel like giving away for nothing.

One might even be able to argue that Garmin is doing some Antitrust things with this copy protection scheme, if it affects resale of used equipment. So while I'm pleased with their hardware, Garmin can Kiss my Ass concerning copy protection.

And, yep, you all can forward this link to them.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:27 PM   #93
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,426
Garmin sounds pretty cruel. I'm not trying to copy their software, but I should be able to Sell a piece of software I purchase from them.

For instance, I purchased City Select Europe v6 for $300. In 6 months I'm not going to need it anymore. I was planning on selling it for whatever market value is when I return. But now I'm hearing that I can't even do that?

I'm fine with Garmin using strict copy protection, but almost every other software maker allows you to transfer a license.

And software companies make money by selling new versions, they don't loose much by older versions changing hands, that just makes happy customers, not frustrated ones.

-Sasha
A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:29 PM   #94
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
I would not worry about it

You can only get 2 unlock codes (for 2 units) with each coupon/customer code included with each locked mapping product.

Garmin says I cannot sell my mapping software but if I sell the unit without the software then Garmin has no mechanism for giving me my unlock code back (altho if you read their license it implys that this is what they do).

So I unlocked Metroguide Australia first for my GPS V and later for my GPSmap 176 (while I still owned both units) then I sold my GPS V with Metroguide and its unlock code.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:56 AM   #95
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashapave
Garmin sounds pretty cruel. I'm not trying to copy their software, but I should be able to Sell a piece of software I purchase from them.

For instance, I purchased City Select Europe v6 for $300. In 6 months I'm not going to need it anymore. I was planning on selling it for whatever market value is when I return. But now I'm hearing that I can't even do that?

I'm fine with Garmin using strict copy protection, but almost every other software maker allows you to transfer a license.

And software companies make money by selling new versions, they don't loose much by older versions changing hands, that just makes happy customers, not frustrated ones.

-Sasha
Sasha,

You ought to be able to sell it. But the person who buys it should know:
- that they won't be able to register it
- it only comes with one unlock code

Unless you could convince Garmin to "give you the code back" someway. Not sure whether they'd do it.

Heck, I might be interested in buying it from you, even with only 1 unlock code. Dunno.

Hey, have fun on your trip! Sounds like a blast!
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:02 PM   #96
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,118
Alright, back to square one. Now that my broadband is finally back up, here's one last set of questions (hopefully) before taking the plunge:

Garmin Streetpilot III for 500 bucks (or the BMW version with a few extra nicknacks for $700), fully unlocked-or the 276 C.

How much do I have to fork out and just what is it I would have to buy to get the same kind of software/mapping if I went with a 276 C instead of the SP III?

Is the difference in money worth it? And would I have to read a bunch of directions just to get the 276 C loaded up and running? Hey, what can I say, I'm a girl. I don't follow directions. Hell I don't even read them. I sort of want something intuitive

C'mon techies, steer me in the right direction here. TIA
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #97
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
Hey Wings,

I'm not going to cover the price thing, but will speak about why I think the 276c is sooooo much better than the SP-III.

First, there is no comparison to the 276c screen - it's the state of the art. The SP-III screen is pretty good, but in the sun, in the dark, etc. the 276c screen is what you want.

Second is the speed. The 276c has a much faster processor and can zoom in/out, redraw, etc. much faster than the SP-III.

Third, the 276c is fully configurable and lets you display what you want on the screens you choose.

Finally, the 276c has batteries that recharge when it's attached to an external power source (bike, wall, etc.). So, when you take it off the bike, you've got about ten or so hours of power without having to put new batteries in the unit. It's a Good Thing.

I say get the 276c. It's a sweet unit.

Marc
Old 07-15-2004, 03:53 AM   #98
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
How much do I have to fork out and just what is it I would have to buy to get the same kind of software/mapping if I went with a 276 C instead of the SP III?
Cost wise you need to add City Select North America mapping CD, a Garmin memory card (128MB should be fine) and a mount (recommend RAM).

It comes with a marine power cable with bare ends that you need to wire in or you can just use the built-in rechargeable battery and mains charger that is included.

Don't give us that girl bullshit. You can log on here so you can install Mapsource and load it to your GPSmap 276C via USB. No probs

BurnieM screwed with this post 07-15-2004 at 04:02 AM
Old 07-15-2004, 06:33 AM   #99
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
Alright, back to square one.
Hiya Wings

If your not in a hurry, there'll be about two dozen versions of each at Ouray so you'll be able to try them hands on.

The 276C is great but with software, mounts & cables etc it's going to run you closer to $800.

Good luck.
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:02 AM   #100
Wings
marmaduked

If 800 bucks covers everything I'll need, it's reasonable. I was afraid I'd end up having to fork out a lot more. Thanks for the quick replies, I was close to picking up an SPIII today. I think I will wait until Ouray and take a peek!
Old 07-15-2004, 03:47 PM   #101
BurnieM
Nipple boy

I would not even consider a SPIII (unless you can get one at a very good price)

The SP2610 and GPSmap 276C recalculate routes and redraw the screen MUCH faster than a SPIII.
Both units are a big step up from the SPIII

The GPSmap 276C has the best screen sharpness/readability of all the Garmins, make that all brands.

The only negative is the Garmin data cards.
If you need a huge amount of mapping then you should look at the SP2610 which uses CompacFlash cards.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:06 PM   #102
Wings
marmaduked

Time to quit procrastinating-I've been going at it for a year now. The 276 does look like it has everything I want it too, a year ago I just couldn't decide. I still like the 76C, it would be nice to have a hand held to use for hunting-but most of the time I'll be using it on the bike and sometimes in the cage so I'll stick to the 276C. I really like the mount Bighorn put on his brick too, so that has helped out with the selection as well. By the time I get the 276C, car kit, cable and mount I'll end up forking out more than I had hoped but if I'm gonna get the darn thing I might as well get what I want. Hopefully it'll last me several years before the bug bites again. Thanks again for your help guys!
So if I oder the set up now, I just hope I can figure out how to wire the thing myself. Otherwise I'll be bugging you guys in Ouray
Old 07-16-2004, 08:44 AM   #103
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn
As I promised, I'm posting how am I ended up with the 276C installation to my K1200RS.

After careful considerations of the options I decided to give a shot to Gadget Guy's solution.

http://gadgetguy.net/Catalog/Page03/BKIIIBPII176.html

The bracket delivered the other day, and I installed it. Pretty easy installation, except to cutting the aluminum bar, which was not a big deal too.

View after installation W/ no tank bag.

With tankbag...

Another view...

Rider's point of view.(*) It does not obstuct anything and still properly visible even with the full tankbag.

(*)It's me, 5'-10". Camera is on exact location of my eyes, when my hands on grips.

Bighorn,
I'm confused a little-you mention you used the "marine mount" for the 276 on the gadget guy bracket? I'm getting ready to order the thing, but the mount I had in mind was the one that comes with the car kit. Will it work on the gadget guy bracket or do I need to order the RAM/marine mount as well?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:19 AM   #104
GMB
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Oddometer: 73
Marine mount

Wings - I have the Gadget Guy mount on my GS crossbar. The GG mount is drilled to accept the "marine" mount that does come with the 276c, so you don't need to buy anything else. The GG mount is nicely machined and is a quality piece of kit, IMHO.

I'm finding the set-up works well, although a) the GG mount set-up on the cross-bar is a little low if you use a tank bag frequently, and b) the mount is quite solid and I'm wondering if the new TT 276c mounts available next month (which can lock, btw) would be better to avoid any future vibration issues. No probs so far, though.

Graham
GMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:36 AM   #105
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB
Wings - I have the Gadget Guy mount on my GS crossbar. The GG mount is drilled to accept the "marine" mount that does come with the 276c, so you don't need to buy anything else. The GG mount is nicely machined and is a quality piece of kit, IMHO.

I'm finding the set-up works well, although a) the GG mount set-up on the cross-bar is a little low if you use a tank bag frequently, and b) the mount is quite solid and I'm wondering if the new TT 276c mounts available next month (which can lock, btw) would be better to avoid any future vibration issues. No probs so far, though.

Graham
GMB-Thanks-that answers my question. Now I just have to see if I can get the mount here in time before Ouray, otherwise I'll have to wait until I get back.