ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-20-2004, 10:54 PM   #121
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
Nope, and I'm not gonna touch those freaking wires unless someone shows me what the hell to do with all the pretty colors! I don't know diddley squat about electrical stuff. Now, I managed to wire my auxilary lights in myself but the GPS cable has -8- skinny little itty bitty wires coming from it that just scream "fry me". No sir, I know when to walk away and get some help. I'll swing by the dealership tomorrow and see if they can show me the cable that comes with the Navigator, I guess it's one you can wire simple-like to the back of the accessories outlet? If that's unsuccessful, I'll just have to run the GPS off battery and maybe use the car charger to plug it in for a re-charge once I get to Ouray. Hopefully I'll get the mount tomorrow, or else it'll ride in the tankbag for this trip.
Wimp

The negative/positive power (black/red) wires are pretty straight forward and you might want to put an audio plug on the 2 audio (orange/brown) wires for later use. Otherwise just cut the rest of the bare wires off the 276C cable.

A few people are running a GPS off the park/position light circuit as the GPS draws less than 1/2 an amp. You can wire it direct or put one of those BM socket/plugs in somewhere around the instruments. It is useful having it on a switched circuit so the GPS powers up/down with the ignition (you can override it and let it run off its internal battery as well).

Sorry the Navigator and Navigator II use a different plug to the GPSmap 276C.

BurnieM screwed with this post 07-21-2004 at 01:20 AM
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:36 PM   #122
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,097
Call me wimp all you want-I don't have the stuff to mess around with wires that skinny anyhow. Besides, if you weren't too chicken to scoot yourself onto a plane and across to the good old US of A you could wire the thing for me in Ouray

Thanks for the tips on the wiring, might come in handy real quick
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:22 AM   #123
BurnieM
Nipple boy

No probs

MC, Visa or Amex ?
Old 07-21-2004, 07:00 AM   #124
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM
No probs

MC, Visa or Amex ?
Check is in the mail.
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 03:58 PM   #125
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,985
Another satisfied 276C user But, I wish Garmin would offer a "remote" button pad that could be connected into the Data/Power Plug. I really do prefer to use my left hand while riding or when I stop (sometimes right hand is on the brake). This can't be to hard. Expect I could even make one if Garmin would provide Data-In specs.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 04:16 PM   #126
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
Another satisfied 276C user But, I wish Garmin would offer a "remote" button pad that could be connected into the Data/Power Plug. I really do prefer to use my left hand while riding or when I stop (sometimes right hand is on the brake). This can't be to hard. Expect I could even make one if Garmin would provide Data-In specs.
I believe that everything should be in a single unit for robustness.

However, I agree that it would be much better, for motorcycle use, for all the buttons to be in their mirror position to the left of the unit.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:02 PM   #127
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Can someone post some pictures?

Just about every GPS I've seen has one big problem: the screens wash out on a nice and sunny day. Is this the case for 276c?
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 06:04 PM   #128
BurnieM
Nipple boy

It is not perfect but it is pretty good
http://www.gpsriders.net/gpsmap276c_info.html
Old 07-23-2004, 06:05 PM   #129
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
It's a TFT screen- so it actually uses the sunlight to intensify the image. It's a damned sight better than the old LCD style- and works great.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #130
K2R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
TFT is a type of LCD I believe. But you are right, the screens are much better.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:35 PM   #131
Fastman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold
Just about every GPS I've seen has one big problem: the screens wash out on a nice and sunny day. Is this the case for 276c?
I just bought a 276C at the BMW MOA national rally and put over 2,500 miles on it returning to St. Louis. The picture was absolutely incredible in the full sunlight of Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, etc. With the sun over your shoulder, it was fully readable. The night lighting scheme is equally awesome.

The only weak point is the power plug. Mine came apart leaving half the guts still stuck in the receptacle. When I called Garmin about it, they acknowledged they were having problems with the design. Shipment of a replacement (hopefully a better version) is probably 3 weeks to a month away.

Signed, Anonymous
Fastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #132
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastman
The only weak point is the power plug. Mine came apart leaving half the guts still stuck in the receptacle. When I called Garmin about it, they acknowledged they were having problems with the design. Shipment of a replacement (hopefully a better version) is probably 3 weeks to a month away.
Yes, I have noticed that this plug is very tight. One also must make sure the plug is aligned correctly or you could easily bend one of the small pins. Hope they do fix this but don't make it to sloppy.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:43 PM   #133
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastman
Happened to me early on. They sent a replacement in just days and included a little freebie for my troubles. Typical Garmin service! Anyway, just wiggle it out instead of pulling straight and it seems to be a non-issue.

Old 07-24-2004, 05:34 PM   #134
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
Yes, I have noticed that this plug is very tight. One also must make sure the plug is aligned correctly or you could easily bend one of the small pins. Hope they do fix this but don't make it to sloppy.
I do not think that bending the pins is an issue but the plug is certainly very tight. It is also difficult to get a good grip on it with the aerial and cradle immediately next to it.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:10 PM   #135
Karl in NY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
freebie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Happened to me early on. They sent a replacement in just days and included a little freebie for my troubles. Typical Garmin service! Anyway, just wiggle it out instead of pulling straight and it seems to be a non-issue.
I got the replacement, it took much longer than a few days, and there was no "freebie"...

Did they send a girl to your house, or was the "freebie" something else?
Explanation, please...

I feel really slighted...
Karl in NY is offline   Reply With Quote