User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,170
Building a 690Exc : The ultimate dirt tourer

Now that i've taken the call and decided to quit my job by March 2016 to spend 6-8months riding around the world - mainly dirt roads and into remote areas, i need a capable bike for this job.

I currently ride a 2010 530Exc built up with the full Mecasystems kit which i bought used from a Rally racer, who bought it from another.

The bike is well equipped, with around 30ltrs of fuel carrying capacity, good suspension and all the other good bits of the Exc bikes, except for a few things that don't cut it for a ride like the one i want to do - high maintenance engine, bad fuel efficiency, low output alternator and the wimpy subframe. I love the handling of this bike, the mecasystem kit with the CPW oil cooler, rally pegs, nav tower with Hella lighting.

I had a problem with smoke bellowing from the exhaust recently and installed new rings + valve guide seals, which solved the problem somewhat. It still smokes a little bit but not as bad as it used to at the height of the problem. In any case, its a race engine which has been raced by the 2 POs and even though the engine has been rebuilt around 90hrs ago, i just don't have the confidence to ride it around like i would on this ride.

More over, if i have to ride the 530Exc, the engine would have to be fully stripped and re-built costing a couple of thousand $, with no advantage in return when it comes to the attributes i require for the ride. For almost the same money (ok, maybe a little more) i think i could shoe-horn a 690 engine into the Exc frame, apart from the fact that it will be an interesting project to keep me busy through the summer here and prep for the ride.

What i have in my current ride :
- Good fuel carrying capability : 30ltrs
- Good suspension
- Good wheels : have a set of Haan wheels with cush drive rear
- Fairing/Nav tower
- Low weight

What i need/want :
- Long service interval engine : 7,500kms oil change is necessary while 10,000kms would be great. Shouldn't have to worry about top end, crank rebuilds before 700hrs/40,000kms
- Good fuel efficiency from the motor (around 5L/100km), for a range of 500-600kms from 30ltrs fuel.
- Subframe with luggage racks to mount the soft bags
- Comfortable seat
- Higher electrical output to run better lighting, GPS and charging some electronics.
- Low wattage, high output lighting (LED lighting)
- Fuel Injection : i know this is a touchy subject when it comes to off-road riding but i'm of the opinion that the technology has become vastly more reliable in the last few years and KTM especially has improved their FI technology in their bike to an extent where you can ride it without worrying about the FI failing on you in the middle of nowhere.

What i plan to do :
- Stuff a 2012/2013 690Duke engine (the most refined, vibe-free, fuel efficient of the LC4 series) into an Exc rolling chassis, frame mods as necessary : may involve major cutting, grinding and welding.
- Fabricate a new steel subframe and rear luggage racks
- Use a 690Duke wiring harness, modified to suit the new bike
- 690Duke airbox with necessary sensors etc, retrofitted to the new steel subframe which will be built to accept it.
- ECU, FI throttle body from non-E throttle 690Duke engine (2008-11 ?)
- Seat rebuild : wider pan and new foam
- External FI pump, pressure regulator assembly from one of the Quad/ATVs alongwith high capacity inline filter from an Automobile.
Edited to add:
- Instrumentation from the 690Duke (for the idiot lights)
- New subframe built to hold a larger 12Ah battery
- New steel side stand OR one of the PMB or similar sturdier units

Ok so, What did i forget ?

and we have the first hurdle/question already :
Will a 2013 Duke690 engine run on a 2011 Duke690 ECU ? I guess not, because the '13 is a twin spark head and the '11 is single spark. Is the '13 onwards Duke motor so much better (vibes and fuel efficiency) than the '08-'11 to warrant its use ?

cheers

Vicks screwed with this post 05-21-2015 at 08:11 PM
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
bajadog
Running around knees bent

Oddometer: 89
Sounds like a great project. Just wondering, you don't like the 690E frame/forks etc? I've seen some nice rally builds on that platform too.
bajadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadog View Post
Sounds like a great project. Just wondering, you don't like the 690E frame/forks etc? I've seen some nice rally builds on that platform too.
i do like the 690E, its just that i have this bike with a lot of goodies already (Haan wheels with cush drive, Fuel tanks, Fairing, nav tower, Remote switches from the Trip repeaters etc, too many to list) on it as well as a lot of spares (bearings, seals, lights, braking components etc) and its only lacking a long service, fuel efficient motor. I'd love to be able to sell the 530Exc-Rally and pick up a 690E and then build it up but i know i'd be losing a hell lot of money in the sale of the 530.

Did i convince you there ? Let me know if i didnt, so i can work on it for when the Mrs. asks me where all the money is going ??
Old 05-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
i do like the 690E, its just that i have this bike with a lot of goodies already (Haan wheels with cush drive, Fuel tanks, Fairing, nav tower, Remote switches from the Trip repeaters etc, too many to list) on it as well as a lot of spares (bearings, seals, lights, braking components etc) and its only lacking a long service, fuel efficient motor. I'd love to be able to sell the 530Exc-Rally and pick up a 690E and then build it up but i know i'd be losing a hell lot of money in the sale of the 530.

Did i convince you there ? Let me know if i didnt, so i can work on it for when the Mrs. asks me where all the money is going ??
Sounds like a great build. I would love my 690 motor in my 500 chassis.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
big_sur
Tarded

Oddometer: 754
Let me know if you need any 690 Duke parts. I've got an '10 in pieces that I keep procrastinating on the part out.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Looking forward to this.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 497
I will be following along for sure. I love a good build especially when it's on someone else's dime.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Let me know if you need any 690 Duke parts. I've got an '10 in pieces that I keep procrastinating on the part out.
You've got PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:26 AM   #9
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 2,359
Subscribed

Will be interesting to see how the engine fits in the EXC coming from a space frame plus the radiator on a 690 is bigger and has a fan; cant see it being a straight forward project but that only makes it more interesting. Good luck Vicks

My KTM690 Adventure

2008 250 Beta Rev3 - Trials with lots of errors
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:53 AM   #10
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 1,085
Not to burst your bubble here, but I'm laying bets against the project, and hey if I'm wrong, many beers your way when you and the bike make it to my coordinates.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #11
bajadog
Running around knees bent

Oddometer: 89
Quote:

No that makes perfect sense. I know about the $$ issue. Good luck
and please post progress.
bajadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #12
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Will be interesting to see how the engine fits in the EXC coming from a space frame plus the radiator on a 690 is bigger and has a fan; cant see it being a straight forward project but that only makes it more interesting. Good luck Vicks
Thanks for the wishes. I don't plan on using the 690 radiator, It won't fit the Exc frame. The Exc motors run on 1.2ltr of coolant (with KTM rad fan kits available - mine has one) while the LC4s run on 1.5ltrs. This is a non-issue IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Not to burst your bubble here, but I'm laying bets against the project, and hey if I'm wrong, many beers your way when you and the bike make it to my coordinates.
No worries but, do let me know if there are any technical reasons why you think it can't be done ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadog View Post
No that makes perfect sense. I know about the $$ issue. Good luck
and please post progress.
Thanks, Will surely be posting a lot of pics and updates on the progress.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #13
Dudsamoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
I agree with your thoughts on a "Dirt Tourer" I also felt there was a niche for a very capable off road bike that could be used for long distance multi week adventures. TE's, EXC's RS's ect. have "race" motors.
I wanted a Dirt Bike that held more than a quart of oil and 3 gallons of gas.
KLR?......Too Heavy, not "dirty" enough.
XL,DR? Mmm maybe, but lots of $$ to make "dirty" and some pretty old technology.
XR650? No Button.....deal breaker for me. ( plus having to make it street legal)
KTM 640 Adventure...Heavy, vibey ( no 6th gear) priced like a collectors item.
I ended up with a Husqvarna TE610. Very happy so far. Still tweaking it to get it just the way I want it.

I keep waiting for KTM (or Husky) to bring back a 640 Adventure style bike but it needs to be lighter than the old one.

Perhaps your project will inspire them! Good luck. It won't be easy, but the result should be really cool.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #14
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Have you taken measurements of the 690 engine and mocked up if it will work? The counter sprocket location is the main part, you need to get it exactly where it is on the EXC. Other vice the chain/swingarm geometry will not work. I'm afraid the 690 engine is quite a lot longer and you will need to make lot of cutting on the frame. airbox is another difficult part to fit, you may end up having to make your own airbox.

The 690 engine is not much more reliable than the EXC's IMO. Still some major mechanical issues, rocker arm bearing problems for example.

Have you thought about Yamaha WR250R engine? It would prolly fit in way easyer and is bullet proof.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Thanks for the wishes. I don't plan on using the 690 radiator, It won't fit the Exc frame. The Exc motors run on 1.2ltr of coolant (with KTM rad fan kits available - mine has one) while the LC4s run on 1.5ltrs. This is a non-issue IMO.

No worries but, do let me know if there are any technical reasons why you think it can't be done ?

Thanks, Will surely be posting a lot of pics and updates on the progress.
I build custom modified bikes. Ive had both engines on the bench at the same time. Although the configuration is similar, you will have serious difficulty with swing arm pivot, counter sprocket alignment and mounts, as well as airbox design/intake. By the time you get it close, you might as well reconfigure a 690 frame instead. Rebuild the backbone of the 690 and eliminate the trellis frame geometry instead of shoe-horning a much heavier engine into the lightweight frame that will no no doubt crack quickly.