User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 11:27 AM   #1
Koko OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Continually blowing fuse #3 (headlight/tailight) 2014 Husqvarna FE501

What's the best way to narrow down and solve this issue? I'm the second owner, and as far as I can tell the previous owner did not mess with the wiring. My bike runs great, but for some reason after 10 minutes of riding, my #3 fuse blows out and I loose my lights.

The bulbs are oem and they are not blown. The wiring behind my headlight looks good. No pinched or bare wires. I figure next will be stripping it down and following the whole harness. I just didn't know if there was a better way to narrow it down.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:30 PM   #2
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Use a shortfinder....

You can make one out of an old turnsignal by attaching longer wires to it that end in a spade terminal that fits in the fuse holder and take the place of the fuse.
You plug the two spades in on either side of where the fuse would be. Now the turnsignal bulb acts as a load for the side that's shorted to ground.
Start moving the harness around, or unplugging items that are on the same fuse, until the light goes out. Once that happens you know which part of the harness is shorted.
In your case it may not come on as soon as you plug it in but using the same method you may be able to cause to short, i.e come on, which will help you find your problem.

Any questions about how this works, let me know.
Old Today, 01:24 PM   #3
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Don't know how different the wiring is between the KTM-Husky is. I am familiar with the KTM so these comments are based on that. Fuse 3 is lighting and is a yellow wire from fuse to light switch - out of the switch is a white wire going to the headlight, parking light and tail light. I think the brake light is also on this circuit. If you don't see any bare wires around the steering head, then I would disconnect these lights and see if fuse still blows. If OK then reconnect one at a time until problem reoccurs. Good luck.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:25 PM   #4
Koko OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Thank you! This is exactly the tips I was looking for. Pretty sure the Husky is the same wiring as the KTM.

Kai Ju, I think I follow you. I just don't have a spare turn signal.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote