User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #2791
DirtandBlood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Due for new Chain and Sprockets

Hey guys, I've had my 95 XR600 for 2 years now. She has been great! I am about due for a new chain I think. Last ride I had to tighten it up 4 notches on the snails when half way through. Im guessing that is a bad sign?

I have been told that one should usually change the sprockets at the same time, other wise they will just stretch the chain to meet them? This is my third motorcycle but only the first to live long enough to need tires, much less chains haha. So this is new territory for me.

I am running stock 14/48 and my gut is telling me to try a smidge lower like 14/50. Slightly better pickup and hill descent control being the motivation. Also, when my bike hits 5th gear it feels like it has plenty of revs left. I have topped out at about 87 and I draw a lot of wind. I'd at least like to see if I could get a bit more pull in 5th. I rarely ever need it, but when I do its becuase the old girls dignity is at stake

I ride single track all the way to big flat graded desert roads.

What Brand of Chain do you guys like? What sprockets seem to work well? I prefer durability over max performance. O ring or regular? The Renthal Chains seem fancy but internets say the sprockets wear fast? I dont want something so hard that it eats the countershaft though.

Thanks!
DirtandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #2792
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,584
DirtandBlood...my 2c

Others may have more technical answers for you and may be more of a dial them in, make mods, stock isn't good enough, racing kind of a rider, but...

Changing out chain and sprokets at the same time is always the best bet. Including the scenario you mention with your bike.

OEM front sproket at least.

I always reccomend to riders who ask about gearing down a stock geared bike to drop one tooth in front and add 3 in back. I do that on my dirt bikes. Others have all agreed with the results. You're not street legal right? Then you don't need to go over 80mph. I have 600's, one geared stock for the road, one 14X51 for trail use. Ride the road gears on single track and you know it's high geared, you use first gear most on steep inclines and switchbacks. Jump on the ohv and notice how your able to do much better on the same trail. (in 2nd+3rd gear!)

Chains? My take is over tightening it and you'll stretch it due to all the travel. Buying an expensive chain is money wasted as they'll stretch just as fast. I use regular chain, not oring chain. I oil my chain even on mid trip. It's hard to get chain lube down past the orings to the pins where it is supposed to do it's job.

I've been using RK chain. I like that you can take the master link apart and put it back together with out the need for special tools.

On my 82 500 bought new, the oring chain was binding up big time at 200 miles! That unsold me on oring chains way back then.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #2793
DirtandBlood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thanks for the input, especially about the OEM front. Thats sound advice. And ill probably try out that 14/51 gearing. Even though the odd number is a bit grating. (im weird like that). It would be nice to be able to use second more on the tight stuff. First gear always feels like you are strapped to a bucking bull waiting for the gate to open...

I am presently not street legal but do get into the 70s on some of the desert roads out here. I raced my buddy on his jetted/piped DRZ400S. He is geared 13/48 I think (one smaller up front) and gets through the gears much quicker than me, and steadily pulls away while still topping at 99 he claims. He is tearing through 5th while I am still working on third. He doesn't run away from me, but it is a definite brisk walk. Obviously our bikes have different rev ranges, but I'm hoping to tighten up the tranny a bit and give him a run for his money at least. It doesn't help that his scrawny ass is 130+ lbs lighter than I am. He cuts the wind like a knife.
DirtandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #2794
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,123
roller chains

x2 on roller chains over oring...

I use did rollers for about 35-40bucks down here and change them every 3 months or so...a decent oring chain is 250 bucks here...makes no sense when you consider the binding they are prone to.

I clean and oil my chain every ride or every other ride.

I use kerosene or deisel to clean and I use(dont laugh) but it reall really works...

OIL SMOKE TREATMENT.

Its thick, sticky oil about 90weight Id guess...I brush it on then wipe clean, lasts quite a while...

my 2cents

P.S. Nobody on fork springs? really? input please!

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #2795
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
Others may have more technical answers for you and may be more of a dial them in, make mods, stock isn't good enough, racing kind of a rider, but...
I've found that too low of gearing wears me out on my 600. The stock 14/48 works well for trail riding with 14/42 good for ATV trails. I ride at 2,500-8,000ft.

I use an OEM 14 tooth stocker and a generic steel rear 48 tooth. I've used an aluminum rear in the past with no ill effects or performance improvements.

Also, I always use an O-ring chain. My last one lasted 10 years (1999-2009) before it finally rotted away. I rarely, if ever, lube or clean it.

-Owyhee
Owyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #2796
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016 View Post
Just order the OEM original bowl gaskets from your local shop or from Cheapcycleparts.com. I don't think there are any aftermarket options...
Aren't they just o-rings? It's probably possible to find an endless o-ring with the right length and section width. It won't drop into the groove easily like a formed o-ring, but it will seal and it's cheap.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #2797
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,297
Re: o-ring chains.

I'm sold on them. I bought a new XR600 in '96 and the factory o-ring chain lasted about 5 years. In that time period I had installed a 654cc big bore kit, performance cam, pipe and jetting. I didn't ride that bike easy. It saw everything from street use to muddy, sticky clay conditions. Lots of throttle and wheelies as well.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #2798
misterkridered
Red Rider

Oddometer: 236
1990 xr600r

Selling my old reliable 1990 that I've owned since new. See Flea Market. Niagara area.

misterkridered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #2799
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

ok really noboy has any input on spring rates?

I have searched and as we all know its a bit hard searching on here and yes I have tried the google method...

anybody?

what make, rate have you tried and liked?

for the forks...

thanks!

christian
Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #2800
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,584
^^^^

Christian, just so's you get some kind of reply...

Call me a nut, call me a whimpy rider but, I've never found a need to mess with the 600's forks since making an adjustment to dampning when they were new. (and I've riden the hell out of that thing)
At 57, I'm now less likely to run hard enough to need any mods.

Good luck in your quest it'll probaly have to be trial and error...
but sure it'd be great to get a starting point!

And to show just how old school I am with my old bikes, they do tend to bottom with stock springs. You take a 1" long peice of 3/4" pvc pipe, remove the top nut and preload the springs a bit more. Works like a champ on yamahas and bsa's.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #2801
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,942
^^ Same here, I must be what is considered average size/weight. I have never used any other than stock springs on any bike. On bikes that have had adjustments, I usually set them at, or near factory recommendation.

Or, maybe I just don't know when I have a crappy ride.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #2802
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
Christian, just so's you get some kind of reply...

Call me a nut, call me a whimpy rider but, I've never found a need to mess with the 600's forks since making an adjustment to dampning when they were new. (and I've riden the hell out of that thing)
At 57, I'm now less likely to run hard enough to need any mods.

Good luck in your quest it'll probaly have to be trial and error...
but sure it'd be great to get a starting point!

And to show just how old school I am with my old bikes, they do tend to bottom with stock springs. You take a 1" long peice of 3/4" pvc pipe, remove the top nut and preload the springs a bit more. Works like a champ on yamahas and bsa's.
thanks bud...

guess what? I have done that...on my cb750 and yamaha xt600...

but since this is more of a fine machine if you will, why not go the extra mile...

I was thinking to myself for the meantime...I have the 88 forks, they have a small spring in each leg t prevent bottoming...maybe I can add that to add a bit of preload...or cut some coils and add the spring or pvc..

Just didnt want to go that route again since I have done it before...

In any case...

thanks for the reply...

will see what happens
Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #2803
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
^^ Same here, I must be what is considered average size/weight. I have never used any other than stock springs on any bike. On bikes that have had adjustments, I usually set them at, or near factory recommendation.

Or, maybe I just don't know when I have a crappy ride.

jaja

well I like fiddling with bikes or anything for that matters just as much as riding...tweaking and improving is cool in my book...

Im short...maybe 5.7, but weigh more than the average japanese dude in the 80's so I figured since I do ride aggresively and actually feel the need to improve the forks that I would add slightly stiffer springs...

Most racers, pro tuners whatnot will say to respring first before doing any valving or dampening changes...

I have my clickers in the forks one click softer than stock...

other than that all stock.

just looking for tweaking advice...

the brace helped too.

thanks guys
Old 11-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #2804
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,353
Jud,

Things that come to mind.

Has the engine ever been apart?

Bad intake boot? Cracked?

Low compression, worn piston/cylinder?

Cam off time?

Worn out, bad carb?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #2805
AlpinaE24
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Maybe a worn needle or wrong needle position? Maybe an air leak in the boot or a spark issue. I also feel like the 60 pilot might be a bit fat, my L is also running a 160 main and I think its a little boggy right now. If you wanna come up to cave creek sometime I'd be happy to help you figure it out...
2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
2000 XR600R - Sold

AlpinaE24 screwed with this post 11-18-2011 at 07:03 PM
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote