Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #2941
JUDOKA
retired

Oddometer: 172
Oh, seriously, that popping before she dies out at idle is GONE right now! I has got to be something with that decompression apparatus! She still stalls out, but not with that pop, and the pop was there before even at a higher rpm, so I am thinking that was something with the decompression.
I should have been a mechanic! I always seem to have broken shit
Old 12-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #2942
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,143
well...I think your autodecomp crap ON the cam(little clutch and springs) is giving you the shits...they act up and cause what you are saying...

cant help you much on the other issues..

later!

p.s. the crank case air you feel is normal, its actually flows both ways but you "feel" it only going out...have you checked to see if they are both open on each end? not plugged?
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #2943
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
I think the auto decompresor was put there for liability reasons more than anything. My bike doesn't have one and, IMO, it's better that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDOKA View Post
I should have been a mechanic! I always seem to have broken shit
What kind of work are you comfortable doing yourself besides oil changes? Pulling the spark plug? Adjusting valves? Dismantling the carb? Pulling a cam?

BTW, big puffs of air are supposed to come out of the case breather because the interior volume of the case changes a lot when the piston goes up and down. Oil mist can migrate out of it as well. That tendency increases at elevated RPM(like highway speeds) and as blowby gets worse from wear. Lots of blowby sometimes reveals itself as oil that quickly darkens and takes on the smell of exhaust.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #2944
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

much better said than me...jajaja obviously!

I like to think my cam has less rotational mass and therefore is lighter than with the autodecomp crap, jajaja!

I too like the simpicity of it this way...

man Im a bit bored...

what else is there to talk about?

slow business today..jajaja
Old 12-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #2945
DirtandBlood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
[QUOTE=JUDOKA;17482230 So, anyone who feels like tinkering with this turd simply for the challenge(as I have no cash to give) and actually knows what they are doing, please feel free to let me know. but..[/QUOTE]

I PMd you my contact info. My bike and tools are in Chandler on Alma School and Warner. Probably free next mon tues or wed sometime.
DirtandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #2946
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
BTW, big puffs of air are supposed to come out of the case breather because the interior volume of the case changes a lot when the piston goes up and down. Oil mist can migrate out of it as well. That tendency increases at elevated RPM(like highway speeds) and as blowby gets worse from wear. Lots of blowby sometimes reveals itself as oil that quickly darkens and takes on the smell of exhaust.
If I can chime in with a for a second, one of the best mods I've done was to eliminate the "T" junction in the crankcase breather and replace it with a straight tube going up capped with a large crankcase breather designed for a smallblock V8. The crankcase breather is oiled cotton like a K&N so it's reusable.

I noticed in the summer with the stock system the oil would turn brown in two rides (~100 miles) from sucking so much dust. With the filter it keeps the oil that nice greenish color for the entire oil change.

The only downside is that the filter gets clogged with dust after every ride (in the summer) and it's a pain in the ass to clean (I use No-Toil). Mine is zip-tied to the frame at the tank/right side panel junction and easy to check for cleanliness and ability to pass air in and out. If for whatever reason it gets clogged up I can simply pull it off and run without it.

-Owyhee
Owyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #2947
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
That sounds very similar to what I have on my 600. I had actually thought about using a 650L oil separator even though I don't have problems with dirt intrusion or oil control.

Everyone should also make sure that the duckbill one-way valve under the engine is still there.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #2948
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,236
I have deleted the stock breather and ran a tube from the case, thru the frame and drop it into the top of the airbox with a barbed elbow. Fitted small breather filter to that. Seems to do OK no oil in the air box and is mounted up high to stay clean and is higher than the carb so less likely to ingest water if swamped.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #2949
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 710
I asked about the oil separator on the XL6 thread and I liked the answer about using the service cap in place of the duckbill valve. I would then route the breather hose from the separator up high with a filter.

I don't trust that duckbill, and a cap for draining any oil/crud that the separator collects sounded like a great idea. I have an XL6 separator in my spares box, but I couldn't figure out where to put it on my dual carb XR I have my external reservoir where the XLs put that separator, and there isn't enough room left anywhere else that I could see to place it without making some mods.

But the plumbing on the XL6 with a filter on top is something I'd like to figure out one of these days.

When I bought my bike, I found a coffee filter wrapped around the open upper end of the vent hose. I discarded that. But many of the places like to ride are very dusty and I should do something different than the stock setup I have now.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #2950
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

hmm Im missing my duckbill on the bottom...

whos got pics of these mods?

would a filter up top and loose on the bottom be ok?

thanks

just a question
with the duckbill all the air would go out onto the top part of the breather right? is this how its supposed to be?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #2951
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 353
Thats my Setup on my Dual Carb XL

Works fine , i just use a Honda Oilfilter on Top .
But not for Dessert , I ride paved or Gravel Roads clean the Filter at every Oil change with Diesel and replace it if it gets to dirty
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #2952
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
hmm Im missing my duckbill on the bottom...

whos got pics of these mods?

would a filter up top and loose on the bottom be ok?

thanks

just a question
with the duckbill all the air would go out onto the top part of the breather right? is this how its supposed to be?

Yeah, with the duckbill on the drain/low side, the crankcase air should (mostly) flow in/out through the upper open hose which rests on top of the air box on my XR. If its open on the bottom, it might suck up more dirty air, or worse, water from a wet crossing.

I was able to buy a replacement aftermarket duckbill. I can't seem to find the source right this second, but it was a generic replacement part.

I'm still thinking about where to put the XL oil separator and perhaps there will be enough room in the air box after I move my regulator and battery somewhere else. I was planning on doing that anyway plus opening up the top of the air box for more flow.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #2953
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Thats my Setup on my Dual Carb XL

Works fine , i just use a Honda Oilfilter on Top .
But not for Dessert , I ride paved or Gravel Roads clean the Filter at every Oil change with Diesel and replace it if it gets to dirty
Do you have a pair of flatslides on that dual carb XL?

-Owyhee
Owyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #2954
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owyhee View Post
Do you have a pair of flatslides on that dual carb XL?

-Owyhee
Its not possible to see on this pic, but yes that are 2 TM34 Pumpercarbs.
see below.
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13

Schrauberklaus screwed with this post 12-10-2011 at 11:43 PM
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #2955
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Its not possible to see on this pic, but yes that are 2 TM34 Pumpercarbs.
see below.
WOW! That's sweet! What's the story on these carbs?! Did you set these up yourself? What's the performance like? Did you have to modify your frame at all?