Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #3571
Rocket_Rookie
Learning the ropes!

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
-I too have a 92, I bought it in 92. It replaces my 82.

-Don't see em down there?

-That thing goes!
My first bike was the 82. Loved it but It was too old... So I let her go.
The 600 is just a better designed bike. I have no regrets.
It dawned on me just now that we own/have owned the same bikes. Weird hey.

I wish I have seen a650R in real life. Would seriously take some photos and maybe even try to steal it!
As far as my knowledge of engines go, the XR650R is supposed to be a better performer as liquid cooling allows for smaller tolerances and in return better performance... But then again, the air cooling and carb is why I love the 600 so much. As if Honda decided to give the other companies the finger by creating something so crude, with engineering technology dating back to the Renaissance, but so brilliant. Better stil. It has stood the test of time.

They really are beautifully designed bikes... The XRs...

'92 Honda XR600R
Rocket_Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #3572
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Rookie View Post
... But then again, the air cooling and carb is why I love the 600 so much. As if Honda decided to give the other companies the finger by creating something so crude, with engineering technology dating back to the Renaissance, but so brilliant.

They really are beautifully designed bikes...
I was riding with a buddy who was on his KTM 450, a much more modern and refined bike.

We switched bikes for a bit, and his first comment upon getting off my 600 was: "That is a really nice motor."

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #3573
boomshakalaka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
So my XRR seems to be running lean on the pilot jet circuit. Before I got my Clymers, I loosened the carb boot and air box and twisted the carb around so I could drop the bowl. I pulled out what I thought was the pilot jet, it was indeed partially (almost fully) clogged. I cleaned it really good, and put it back in. Since then, the bike has been MUCH easier to start, but still it hates to idle. I have to baby sit the throttle, or use the choke just to get the bike to idle. Of course with the choke it idles way too high.

Fast forward to yesterday, I finally received my Clymers in the mail, and I seem to have unclogged the slow jet. But I cannot find a Pilot Jet listed on in the exploded carb diagram. There is a "Pilot Screw", which appears to be what is called the idle mixture screw on other carbs I've worked on. Is the Slow Jet and the Pilot Jet one and the same? Or am I missing something?
boomshakalaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #3574
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 878
Mortimersickle-

I had (and just sold ) a Husky te510 07. Great bike. Little tempermental but great. I rode a xr600 and also thought - nice motor! And air cooled too! I had to get one.

and the xr600-

Bought this thing when looking for a xr400. My riding buddies ride these or WR450's. Reliability is everything with this crew as we put on the miles. Two buddies have xr600's with over 40k I believe. (or they do!) One of the pleasant surprises is the suspension. I twas tuned by FINELINE and is pretty good for something this old. Very serviceable.

cbig screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 02:38 PM
cbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #3575
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
U'r right

But Rocket Rookie, what got you started in the big bore single 4 stroke scene?

I rode trails on "engineering technology dating back to the Renaissance".
But my machine, outdated when new, was put to shame by my buddie's 76 TT500 yamaha.

Now if you said that's what got you started...then that'd really be uncanny! Whopping 3" travel in rear, 6.3" in front, 33" seat hieght and maybe 10" clearance at the skid plate. the tank/seat arraingement is why I have no children. There's only 4 speeds in close ratio.
Stainless steel fenders? What the...And oh-boy, a 70 tooth rear sproket.
But I still ride it! Did a 77 mile dualsport run last weekend! (she's plated now)
Obviously needed more...
1982 xr500r's were on sale in jan 1982. With tax and license they were 2,000 dollars out the door.
The above shot was after the 82 honda purchase...riding the Triumph for nostalgic fun, below is about 3-4 years back.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #3576
Rocket_Rookie
Learning the ropes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
KTM.... a much more modern and refined bike.
I rode on a KTM 650 (whatever enduro model) once, not too long ago. It looked something like this.

The technical bits were great and smooth:
-shifting
-braking
-engine was quiet, almost no noise except for exhaust
-digital spedo and other technological nonsense

But the moment I got on it, I felt uncomfortable. The bike was too thin between my legs. My arse felt as if I sat on a razor blade. Made out of stones.
The handlebars were way too low for a dirt bike. And not wide enough apart.
But what really irritated me is that it was too responsive. There was no leniency when riding it.
One is either falling off the back of the thing when accelerating, or sent flying across the handlebars when braking.
And this meant that I couldn't get off the thing quickly enough after I have stopped.

Don't get me wrong. They look, sound and perform great. But at that price, discomfort and reputation of unreliability, I would rather just ride on paring knife.

'92 Honda XR600R
Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #3577
Rocket_Rookie
Learning the ropes!

22manyrides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
But Rocket Rookie, what got you started in the big bore single 4 stroke scene?
As my name would suggest, I am still a Rookie.
The bike I learned to ride on (unknowing at the time) was a post 1990 XR200. (This was in 2002, can you believe it)
And the XR500R was the first bike I bought; in January 2011. (It was the only thing I could afford at the time).
In a previous post there's a photo of me as a boy on a XR500. Through the years I have always held on to the dream of having my own.
I did a lot of research after I bought this bike and on other bikes of the era, and found that the XR design and technological advancement amazed me. The pro-link suspension. Twin port exhaust... the list goes on.

Reason why I love the 4 strokes is just because of the efficiency compared to 2 strokes.
And I don't like the prospect of a temperamental bike with a powerband.

But that looks like a classic you've got there! 70 tooth rear? Man the torque of that bike should enable it to tow a Boeing! The glory days of off road biking.... Stainless fenders actually look great! I love shiny things on a classic... I'm just glad I skipped the 1970's biking part!

'92 Honda XR600R

Rocket_Rookie screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 03:39 PM
Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #3578
boomshakalaka
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshakalaka View Post
So my XRR seems to be running lean on the pilot jet circuit. Before I got my Clymers, I loosened the carb boot and air box and twisted the carb around so I could drop the bowl. I pulled out what I thought was the pilot jet, it was indeed partially (almost fully) clogged. I cleaned it really good, and put it back in. Since then, the bike has been MUCH easier to start, but still it hates to idle. I have to baby sit the throttle, or use the choke just to get the bike to idle. Of course with the choke it idles way too high.

Fast forward to yesterday, I finally received my Clymers in the mail, and I seem to have unclogged the slow jet. But I cannot find a Pilot Jet listed on in the exploded carb diagram. There is a "Pilot Screw", which appears to be what is called the idle mixture screw on other carbs I've worked on. Is the Slow Jet and the Pilot Jet one and the same? Or am I missing something?
And things get even more strange. I finally got around to cleaning and reoiling the air filter, as it was pretty grimey... I even found I dead mouse in the airbox, whoops, definitely forgot to look in there during the prepurchase inspection, doh! Now the bike won't start with the choke on, but won't idle with the choke off. Before cleaning the air filter, I needed to put the choke fully on, and kick the bike over 10-15 times with the decomp lever engaged to prime the cylinder. I'm really confused now. Cleaning the air filter of all that gunk should lean things out if anything, right?

anyone got a hunch?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #3579
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
NOT IF YOU OVER OILED THE FILTER

or worse you didnt dry it after...

BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

You will have a horrible running bike and hard starting, not to mention youll suck oil into the carb and it will sludge up and blacken it up a bit.

so if you did dry it out properly, used grease on the inbox seal/,filter mating area.. then well...clean the carb out well and take it out of the bike...to do so.

my 2c

Its vital to both clean and air dry the filter first...

oil it and squeeze out excess then air dry the filter after oiling...

no way aroud it!

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #3580
boomshakalaka
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
NOT IF YOU OVER OILED THE FILTER

or worse you didnt dry it after...

BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

You will have a horrible running bike and hard starting, not to mention youll suck oil into the carb and it will sludge up and blacken it up a bit.

so if you did dry it out properly, used grease on the inbox seal/,filter mating area.. then well...clean the carb out well and take it out of the bike...to do so.

my 2c

Its vital to both clean and air dry the filter first...

oil it and squeeze out excess then air dry the filter after oiling...

no way aroud it!

cheers
I did clean the filter, and I let it dry for almost 24 hours (I'm in LA, so the air is quite dry, an hour or two probably would have been sufficient). I have a K&N filter, so there is no way to "squeeze out" the excess. I let the oil soak in for a good 30-45 minutes, then wiped down the metal/rubber surfaces of excess oil, and reinstalled the filter. I followed the K&N instructions. I did not use any grease as I couldn't find "air filter sealant grease" at the auto parts store. Is there a decent substitute?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #3581
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
I did clean the filter, and I let it dry for almost 24 hours (I'm in LA, so the air is quite dry, an hour or two probably would have been sufficient). I have a K&N filter, so there is no way to "squeeze out" the excess. I let the oil soak in for a good 30-45 minutes, then wiped down the metal/rubber surfaces of excess oil, and reinstalled the filter. I followed the K&N instructions. I did not use any grease as I couldn't find "air filter sealant grease" at the auto parts store. Is there a decent substitute?
Maybe touching on the same topic of drying it out.

I know of K&N becasue I have same.

Did you shake it hard, after washing, to shake out all the water ? Even tap it out vigorously ?

If not and I further understand as I used to live in LA, it may have still been wet if after you washed/rinsed it, then just let it drain and dry.

Just my 1/2 cent worth.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #3582
boomshakalaka
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Maybe touching on the same topic of drying it out.

I know of K&N becasue I have same.

Did you shake it hard, after washing, to shake out all the water ? Even tap it out vigorously ?

If not and I further understand as I used to live in LA, it may have still been wet if after you washed/rinsed it, then just let it drain and dry.

Just my 1/2 cent worth.
Like if it had forgot to put mayo on my sandwich, I gave it a good shake, but I didn't hit her-- I mean it...
Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #3583
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Like if it had forgot to put mayo on my sandwich, I gave it a good shake, but I didn't hit her-- I mean it...
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #3584
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
I have a K&N filter.....

I did not use any grease as I couldn't find "air filter sealant grease" at the auto parts store. Is there a decent substitute?
My personal opinion - those metal mesh K&N filters suck big time. I don't think they do a great job keeping dirt out, you can't clean them well, and they're heavy and expensive.

You don't need any special grease. Just a light coat of any generic multi-purpose grease will work fine.
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #3585
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kta View Post
My personal opinion - those metal mesh K&N filters suck big time. I don't think they do a great job keeping dirt out, you can't clean them well, and they're heavy and expensive.

You don't need any special grease. Just a light coat of any generic multi-purpose grease will work fine.
x2 on both points...

k and n on a dirt ridden xr, big no no

2...GREASE IS GREASE...They are all waterproof and seal worthy on such a simple mating area application.

and yeah a K and N will need more than AIR DRYING to shake it clean...

I live in el salvador...you want heat come down here! jajaja

May I help you purchase a nice foam filter maybe? at least help you decide for that type..

If you only ride street well no prob with the KN.

good luck bud!

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote