User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #4336
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
XR's Only Case Saver install??

I picked this up but there were no installation instructions Am I having a moment or what, but I can't figure out how it goes on my 88 XR600.............Anyone want to show me a picture of one installed or just smack me in the head and explain how it goes on?
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #4337
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post
I picked this up but there were no installation instructions Am I having a moment or what, but I can't figure out how it goes on my 88 XR600.............Anyone want to show me a picture of one installed or just smack me in the head and explain how it goes on?
Try fitting it where the counter shaft chain guard would go.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #4338
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Try fitting it where the counter shaft chain guard would go.
Yeah, I know WHERE it goes, I just cant figure out HOW it goes............... Nothing seems to line up with the OEM case guard mounting holes.
2011 Verys ADV
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #4339
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
That one bolt goes in that one hole and the other screw goes into the hole over by that thing.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #4340
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
My buddy just got an XR600R. He's ordering a street kit. Anything we should do before he starts riding it?
I looked over the wheel bearings, chain and sprocket teeth. Those look good.
Checked out the oil and air filter.
Engine sounds good. Not super quiet, but no knocking or anything.
Starts easily and good throttle response.
An tips or suggestions?
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #4341
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Mac View Post
Hey, nice fairing! What kind is it?
cheers mate.
screen is home made
Givi mounts and a cut down cruiser screen
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #4342
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Looks like the custom nut thingy replaces the nut on the rear engine lug, then the bevel head screw goes through the case saver and into that nut. Then up front, the spacer goes behind the case saver, the bolt goes through the whole assembly and into the sproket guard's original hole.

Jeff, I didn't feel that my original (older style) unit had enough support so I created these adjustments/add ons. And the case I was putting it on had busted up female thread areas too.

I drilled a new hole above the engine lug/stud. Also created a straight through support to give beef to the one sided support of original design.
Obviously I was working with an older version of the same thing.
Have you called em on this?

As far as my mod...
Note the brass and galvinized pipe nipples were cut as spacers to mount the unit, longer bolt for up front runs through my guard, through case saver then into what thread was left in the busted case.

Your case saver should bolt up after the original guard and case saver is off. But then can you still apply the original guard? (I figure that's what they have in mind)
I'll throw in a pic of how mine was before mod as well...down below.

This is it as the p/o had installed it...

Of course with his set up, there was no sproket guard installed and your boot can touch the rotating sproket.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #4343
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,131
I like yours 22many

not the xrs

i JUST DONT get why it only protects the upper half, in other words the air above the sprocket

you want to protect the case and the honda one does just that, PLUS its self destructs so it doesnt destroy your bolts too...

honda is very smart when it comes to these kind of things

another perfect example is the spaghetti shifter, ITS DESIGNED to absolutely destroy itself, bend into some weird shape and NOT break the shift SHAFT so you can keep riding

the point is that its much easier to replace the disposable part than it is for example to reweld and or rethread and or reseal a case mount or hole.

Again I can only try to guess but on almost ALL of the riders/poster chain snapped scenario almost all reports show they had an aftermarket case saver and they then had to fix the broken bolts and rethread the case and or get a new case

why?

cause the case saver was so strong that it just ripped the bolt mounts off the case

what good does that do?

Id much rather destroy the saver(its weaker than the chain therefore absorbs impact) than the case

again just me

I love 22many's saver cause it has the alumium plate to "seal" up the sprocket...

anywhoo

cheers

p.s. I know the selling point of the xrs only is that it allows a snapped chain to follow through and exit downwards and not bunch up on the case

anyways

my 1cent
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #4344
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
I like yours 22many

you want to protect the case and the honda one does just that, PLUS its self destructs so it doesnt destroy your bolts too...

cause the case saver was so strong that it just ripped the bolt mounts off the case

what good does that do?

Id much rather destroy the saver(its weaker than the chain therefore absorbs impact) than the case
My theory involving the PO's scenario is that he threw a chain, busted up the bolt araingement, put on an xr's only the best he could after the honda case was damaged.

Not that the xr's only case saver is "so strong", it's only supported by one side! Rips out of the way bending/busting bolts as you throw the chain.

So you have to buy a case saver for the size sproket you run be it an oem case saver or the xr's only unit.

and here's my channel...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #4345
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
My theory involving the PO's scenario is that he threw a chain, busted up the bolt araingement, put on an xr's only the best he could after the honda case was damaged.

Not that the xr's only case saver is "so strong", it's only supported by one side! Rips out of the way bending/busting bolts as you throw the chain.

So you have to buy a case saver for the size sproket you run be it an oem case saver or the xr's only unit.
the last part of your quote is absolutely correct, everyone seems to want a 15tooth upfront on the xr600, dont know why

in any case you lose a lot of protection going to that size, again to each their own I guess

x2 on buying a case saver after damage is done, jajaja IN RETROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSPECT!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #4346
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
the last part of your quote is absolutely correct, everyone seems to want a 15tooth upfront on the xr600, dont know why

in any case you lose a lot of protection going to that size, again to each their own I guess

x2 on buying a case saver after damage is done, jajaja IN RETROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSPECT!
OK after staring at it for a while and from 22's description I figured it out. What was throwing me off was the rear motor mount bolt was installed backwards so the bolt head was on the chain side and I couldn't figure out how the big brass threaded thingy fit on......So NOW I'm wondering IF I can just do some grinding on the OEM case saver and install the 15 tooth sprocket? And then sell the XR's unit to someone else.
2011 Verys ADV
Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #4347
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

make some money! jejeje

its up to you

I like honda, and honda engineers...really I do...I think they were the best at one time especially in the motorcycle biz...

then well the 90's and some cheapness came into play but really this stuff is engineered and aftermarket companies that came with a gazillion add ons really is just about the $$$ not all, but its marketing at its best when you see shiny plated stuff going inside the engine or on any part of the bike...

compare oem fork boots to aftermarket

cables to aftermarket, etc..etc...even the lever have the best feel, yes they are large and bulky but they feel great!

dont know

then stuff like bars and all that can be discussed but in the end honda did an awesome job and knew what they were doing...

only thing I would add or modify to a stock xr600 is to extend the clutch actuator arm on the stator case to give just a smidge easier pull when you are riding a tough enduro...then again the bike was not designed for that so, apples to apples

just need to tweak here and there to make the bike fit you...thats all

cheers

HEY JEFF got another picture of your sidepanel plate reinforcement? I DO NEED TO FIX THAT HONDA MISTAKE! jajaja

so flimsy
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #4348
2manyrides
shifty charactor

save the case

Quote:
OK after staring at it for a while and from 22's description I figured it out. What was throwing me off was the rear motor mount bolt was installed backwards so the bolt head was on the chain side and I couldn't figure out how the big brass threaded thingy fit on......So NOW I'm wondering IF I can just do some grinding on the OEM case saver and install the 15 tooth sprocket? And then sell the XR's unit to someone else.
Rear lug bolt in from other direction...
That'll throw ya for a loop!

OEm saver...ground down? Hmmm, loose protection?
Does honda make a 15 tooth unit?

XR's only saver...will it do the job as originaly designed?

and here's my channel...
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #4349
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
Rear lug bolt in from other direction...
That'll throw ya for a loop!

OEm saver...ground down? Hmmm, loose protection?
Does honda make a 15 tooth unit?

XR's only saver...will it do the job as originaly designed?
XRR 15T and the stock XRL case cover fit. Just sayin....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #4350
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
XRR 15T and the stock XRL case cover fit. Just sayin....
jeremey hows the mexican 1000 planning coming along?

we are trying to get a salvadorean team for next years baja 500, just planning stages...

would love to get some info from ya

cheers