Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #6091
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,074
aja so the double walls resist cracking more? nice Ive abstained from doing that on my current headers since last couple of rides I went through thick mud and knee deep rivers...I had to go back as one was too tall and I had just installed the cam

did NOT want sink it!

soooooooooooooo

yeah the 87 piston was a few grams lighter and the longer piston pin was in fact lighter than both the prox piston pin I had and the oem piston pin that came with the bike

its longer but more hollowed out...

I wonder which pin is stronger?
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #6092
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 334
Think out of the Box

I use in my XL600R 100x75 (BorexStroke) a Piston for a XR650L .

But its a big Bore Piston with 104 mm diameter ( special made by Mahle for XR650L/FMX) with a flat top .

Depend the XRL/FMX Piston is for the longer (82 mm ) Stroke and higher compression the Piston has a differnt Deck hight to the XL Piston
it does not come up as high as the XL Piston .

But depend on the 104 mm diameter and the Flat Top the compression ends up at 9,2/1 with the stock XL head .
Just a little higher as the stock XL with 8,6/1

Squish is now 1,7 mm distance but also the sqish area is bigger and the Piston works very well now for 15000 km
No pinging or other compression or gasoline related problems .
With the short (cut) original Pin the bigger Piston is the same weight as the Original XL Piston .

On E-Bay Australia is a 104,7 mm Wiseco Piston at sale for about 85 USD .
Its advertiseed as XL600 Piston but its a XR650 Piston with a large negative Dome .
I have one of this at Home . I am sure this Piston will fit in a my XL600 or a XR600
if you think outside the Box
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #6093
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

well said, there are many options out there
Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #6094
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post
Thank you very much!
I know it was a lot of talk, but it is difficult to identify the point.

I want to ask one more question.
Can I put a new camshaft in 1988-2000 the old cylinder head 1985-1988?
Just coincidence sites for bearings and cam position. (I know about the thin chain sprockets and other

Ivan, did you see the posts on this topic over in the XL6 thread? I think you can do this if you change to the newer cover and one rocker.

Start here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=5563

My reply and questions are on the next page here (post #5567):
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...45878&page=372
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #6095
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
finally making some progress on my engine. reground the valves tonight and found this on the INTAKE valves..

this one was worse, the other had the gunk, but not as much.. I had the head soaked in a container with diesel fuel but I can't imagine it getting like this after a quick soak.. Any thoughts? I didnt run it like this.

Also: on the XR87 - 88+ camshaftgear interchangeability: the 88+ camgear on the crankshaft fits perfect. I did find the reason my current camchain was worn after 3k km's.. the 87 camgear on the crank and chain are WAY wider than the 88+ camgear/chain..

I also changed the valveseals to be sure and noticed, with the new ones the valvestems were much harder to push through (not THAT much, but difference was noticeable..) I'm guessing that replacing them was no bad move?

Placed some helicoils around the rotor and some in the head.. Damn the cheap aluminium honda uses..

I recently received my wiseco pistonrings and adjusted the end gap on the lower ring. had 0.2mm end gap out of the package

some pics of last 2 nights work;

My friend lit the box I carried the engine in on fire.. now I have to find a new box..

Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #6096
Ivanych
Ivanych

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
Ivan, did you see the posts on this topic over in the XL6 thread? I think you can do this if you change to the newer cover and one rocker.

Start here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=5563

My reply and questions are on the next page here (post #5567):
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...45878&page=372
OOOOH!!!!!
Ghost_Mutant, Thank you very much!
I missed the message and it is very useful information!
I had the idea to use the new xr600r 1988 - camshaft and flange to sprockets (remove decompressor). I had the desire to make a spacer sleeve instead of a decompressor for the correct position of the flange. This will apply the new OEM camshafts to replace the old.
Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #6097
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post

My friend lit the box I carried the engine in on fire.. now I have to find a new box..

Soundslike you have these guys for garage helpers
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #6098
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
big bend

here coems the giant photo post !!!!!!!!!!!

the south entrance to black gap road, the first 2 miles are not bad at all, a 2wd can make it, but after the elephant tusk trail/ camp site ( where i camped) it gets pretty damn rough, i couldnt imagen taking my truck down it now, its not maintained at all.

the big xr in its natural environment, i got some pics in the mountains, but none with the bike in the photo also
ill upload those later :)
Old 10-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #6099
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
hi all..been researching plated CA bikes (dual sport) and I think the XR 600 R is a def WINNER in terms of look and power from what i hear. What advice would you give someone looking into XR 600 R's? I have found a couple in the LA area so any information would be helpful..

Also would like to know what sort of riding i can expect to do with this bike. I have a KTM SM for the city so really wanted to make the most of the off road socal riding we can do..(of which i am not really sure yet of the options

Found the African Queens rally kit, hopefully they are still in business. This will close the deal for me, I have always wanted a rally replica

Cheers!

lukeinlondon screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 09:12 PM
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #6100
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
hi all..been researching plated CA bikes (dual sport) and I think the XR 600 R is a def WINNER in terms of look and power from what i hear. What advice would you give someone looking into XR 600 R's? I have found a couple in the LA area so any information would be helpful..

Also would like to know what sort of riding i can expect to do with this bike. I have a KTM SM for the city so really wanted to make the most of the off road socal riding we can do..(of which i am not really sure yet of the options

Found the African Queens rally kit, hopefully they are still in business. This will close the deal for me, I have always wanted a rally replica

Cheers!
YOU AGAIN!

I think it's the usual with XR's, just look for abuse. I'm in your same general area and I see cracked frames around kickstands, and lots of heavily damaged bottom frame areas. I'll ask a buddy of mine that raced them what he remembers, even though he's been on an XR650R for years now, I'm sure he'll have some input. I'm also looking for one, BTW, but with my finances it's probably going to be a project bike.
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #6101
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
you again!

probably better thread to post this link

http://www.off-the-road.de/Other-bik...rbis-Tank.html

looks identical to the 600 rally kit. Emailed them ..hopefully will know more soon
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #6102
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Hey elsalvador, you have the Carmichael bend, right? How do you like it and how does it compare to the stockers (which I like a lot).

I noticed there is a Renthal Honda bend, anyone know if that's close to stock?
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #6103
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
I live on the big island of Hawaii, and motorcycles are pretty much always more money here than on the mainland. There is a 1995 XR600RS for sale in Hilo. The owner is asking $2300. Here's a link to the add:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/mcy/3371547826.html

Looks nice. No mileage given. The owner says it has a lighting problem. I couldn't read all the way through this thread yet. I have a couple of questions. First, I'll be 59 Wednesday and have ridden since I was 8. Many of my bikes were dual sports.
Is this bike kick only as it appears in the photos? Was this a street legal bike from the factory? I ask this as Hawaii has recently made it illegal to convert a dirt bike to street legal. Anything else I should look for on this model as in weaknesses or?

Thanks. Wish I still had my 1975 XL350!!

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #6104
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
yes it is kick only. im not sure about the "RS". maybe a non us street legal model, like from aussie. dont worry about the lighting problem. the folks in this thread can help you with anything you need as far as info, and maybe parts. but from the looks of it. its a great deal. ide get it if you can kick it. its not hard once you know the honda dance
Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #6105
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
Hey elsalvador, you have the Carmichael bend, right? How do you like it and how does it compare to the stockers (which I like a lot).

I noticed there is a Renthal Honda bend, anyone know if that's close to stock?
yup I have the lowest bend and sweep that protaper has in fatbars...however there is something about fatbars that just has a different feel to them...

I like them but they seem to have too much sweep no matter what...

having said this I never had the stockers on there...just some standard 7/8 bars and then some nice renthal 666 7/8 bars that felt really good until I had some lady crash into me! jajaja

In any case with risers and the bars pushed forward a nice amount so the tips of the bars point upwards I have a great feel and riding position now

also YOU ALMOST ALWAYS have to cut some off the ends of the bars...it helps a bucnh with shoulder and back pain and make turning faster...

cheers

hey bam

here is a pic of the pro taper evos with single fatbar adapters risers...you can see the bend and sweep pretty well here...its less than stock but is a tad higher maybe with the risers overall...after this pic I ccut almost an inch of each end as they come really long when new...Im down to 30inches end to end versis the almost 32 when new...

I have other pics if interested...

elsalvadorklr screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 09:18 AM