Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #6556
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post

On another note does anyone have a shock laying around for a 90ish xr600 (any differences in the shocks after 1990)? I've been trying to find an aftermarket shock but have had zero luck so I need a few spares so I can try a bunch of different shim stacks in one outing. I may make a call to ohlins to see if they could make one, I had their shock (TTX) on my xr400 and it was SWEET! Or does anyone have any other ideas, or know of any other shocks that will bolt on? Thanks for any help and I'll post some more pictures of the pig after the race on sunday.

Get a '95 or newer XR650L shock. Just change the shim stack some and you'll be set.

It has a 2mm larger piston and works great in a 88 or newer XR600R.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #6557
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 624
I had a descent deployment to Iraq and worked on the firetruck/ woowoo stateside....

watching my 3 sons being born were the 3 nastiest things I've ever seen.

The time between conception and up to 5 minutes after the birth is the perfect time for a 9 month deployment

:::to add tech::: make you order the clutch LEVER and not the clutch lever CVR. Otherwise you will not ride the following weekend either
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #6558
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Get a '95 or newer XR650L shock. Just change the shim stack some and you'll be set.

It has a 2mm larger piston and works great in a 88 or newer XR600R.

You sir are the man! Thanks.
MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #6559
adventurer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
xr600 disc guard

Gday guys
Does anyone know if the Acerbis front disc guard/ fork guard are still avaliable for the xr600 and if so where from?

Thanks,

Graeme
adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #6560
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Cool2

A cheap cool DIY battery post from a fellow inmate I found...

It would be perfect for a budget dual sport conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
I see you're all adding some stuff to your bike, when im trying to remove as much weight as i can
She's now 128kg w/o fuel (282 pounds)

Last episode was battery : after seeing Ramz's blog, I inquired about the Shorai batteries.
I've also seen other brands like Antigravity, who advise the 4 cells for a 250cc.

All things considered (cheap way), I decided to make myself a 4 cell A123 battery, like in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDctiyUa9E

I bought 4 of these 7.99$ each
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=16575

Ended with a 12 ounces unit (instead 88 for stock)

... and the engine cranked up right at first try !

Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #6561
BSW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
XR 600 disc guards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurer View Post
Gday guys
Does anyone know if the Acerbis front disc guard/ fork guard are still avaliable for the xr600 and if so where from?

Thanks,

Graeme
HI

I failed to locate Acerbis ones so I purchased them from Maier Plastics USA.,
They are still available on their web site.
They also supply plastic frame guards.
BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #6562
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310 View Post
hi guy's
will the keihin fcr 40mm pumper carb fit with a acerbis 5gallon?

cheers
Dino
I needed to bend the inner right section of the tank (where the throttle cables come out of the carb). Takes a lot of heat, so find someone with a heat gun! But it will fit after some melti-ness. Now I'm just waiting to put in the new needle and go rip!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #6563
The Dogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Boiling ther carb

Hi
I've just won a cheap FCR on ebay , judging by the pics it's going to need a damn good cleaning. We don't have Pinesol in the UK ( to the best of my knowledge ) . I've seen some advise on here about boiling the carb in lemon juice. My questions are:
  1. What is the ratio of juice to water?
  2. How long to boil for? ( bring to the boil and simmer for x hrs , or leave to cool for a period of time )
Cheers in advance , Stu

The Dogger screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 03:34 PM Reason: Bugger , speling errer in titul , cant' eddit
The Dogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #6564
slomon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Is it worth the effort to take apart a 83 xl600 motor to reassemble my 87 xr600r motor? The 87 had the cylinder head go missing (lost in shipping during valve upgrade), it has a 640 kit on it. I'm trying to decide if the extra power is worth it or just put the 83 motor in the frame and go ride. I've never ridden the 87, it was gift to me. I also ride a YZ250 and DR350.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #6565
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomon View Post
Is it worth the effort to take apart a 83 xl600 motor to reassemble my 87 xr600r motor? The 87 had the cylinder head go missing (lost in shipping during valve upgrade), it has a 640 kit on it. I'm trying to decide if the extra power is worth it or just put the 83 motor in the frame and go ride. I've never ridden the 87, it was gift to me. I also ride a YZ250 and DR350.

Yes.

The XL600 should have larger ports that flow better.

Use the '83 XL600 carbs too, they are twin 30mm carbs instead of the XR's twin 28mm carbs.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #6566
slomon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Thanks! That was a quick response. I will be working on it next week. I was checking to see if my post posted correctly. lol
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #6567
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
First race

Well my first race on the 600 was interesting. I now have a few issues to address starting with an oil cooler. The race was 2 hours long and the outside temp was 45F. On the last 2 laps the old girl was running at 300 degrees oil temp. I stopped twice to pour a little water down the steering neck to help cool it down and the temperature never went about 300 and I'm hoping the fresh oil managed to do its job with the extreme temps. I'm assuming that with an oil cooler and some richer jetting I should be able to fix that issue. My plan is to mount an xr400 oil cooler to the neck and cut the oil return line on the 600 and run some hose off the stock line into the oil cooler line (also cut) and back out into the remainder of the 600's stock line. I know the return pressure isn't very high so I shouldn't have any issues with that.

Next problem was the carb, I modified the spring to reduce throttle pull and that worked perfectly but the throttle sticks right off idle. I've read that this is an issue with the xr600 so I may just punt it and buy the 41mm fcr. If not I believe I need to disable the air cut off valve on the side of the carb that richens the pilot mixture on decel. I was having issues with the bike wanting to die when the throttle was shut quickly but it would return to the correct idle after a second or so.

Next is the rear shock. I believe a stiffer rear spring will fix most of my problem and I'll find out whenever it gets here. The front felt like a chopper in some sections but like I said I'm on the stock 10kg/mm spring with crf450x forks with .48kg/mm springs so I'm not very well balanced yet.

Sorry for the long post. Ultimately the big XR kicked ass and too me to 18th overall out of 180 riders and Thad Duvall took the overall.
MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #6568
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
damn! impressive, what races? any pics?
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #6569
hiauthority
n00b

Oddometer: 1
What's it worth?

1996 XR 600R - USD Fork conversion, Pro Tapers, Pro Circuit exhaust, titled and tagged in Florida. Excellent running and looking.
hiauthority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #6570
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by duxrneet View Post
I needed to bend the inner right section of the tank (where the throttle cables come out of the carb). Takes a lot of heat, so find someone with a heat gun! But it will fit after some melti-ness. Now I'm just waiting to put in the new needle and go rip!

cheers mate, i got one of those at work....
local bike shop found a couple of second hand ones in a box out back of the shop
might have to wait a couple of months till i catch up with the over spending at Xmas so lucky for me he's putting one aside till then
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote