Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #661
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT 400
It's too new..
You might decide you like a bike with brakes and suspension that really do something.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #662
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma
You might decide you like a bike with brakes and suspension that really do something.
Where's the sport in that?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #663
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma
Brakes and working suspension with real adjustments is way over rated
I'm having more fun than most people...
Ya'll have a Merry Christmas
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #664
biketherapy
si se puede

Oddometer: 505
new XR600R owner checking in....

a few weeks ago I traded my 96 YZ250 for a 95 Honda XR600R. I wanted a do it all bike and so far the big pig has been a lot of fun. The bike has definitely seen some miles but appears to have been maintained. Runs like a beast but needed some attention in a few areas. The steering was a little notchy so I popped in some new races and bearings. I replaced f/r wheel bearings also. I also rebuilt the forks and flushed out the brakes. Based on my reading here and elsewhere I checked the "flapper" on the choke and even though it looked ok I pulled it off of the choke plate just so I needn't worry about it coming apart and killing the motor. Spooned on a 606 rear and MT21 front: Seems to be a great DS combo- hope I can get some miles out of them.
here is a cell pic from a ride today:
Old 01-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #665
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Can anyone direct me to what kg rate fork springs I might want for my XR600R with a Clark 5.0g tank? I weigh 200lbs and my brother who also rides the bike weighs 235lbs. Looking for something in between. As it stands now, with a full tank of gas, the front forks are far too soft.

Edit: Found the chart.
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/sprngrts.asp

trackhead screwed with this post 01-01-2010 at 07:14 PM
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #666
EggspurtSpellar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
What manual?

Well I literally just a few hours ago brought home a new to me '93. It's well used and semi abused but overall seems to be pretty solid. If the weather holds I may take it out for a shakedown tomorrow but I think I will give it a good cleaning and tear it down to inspect wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, head bearings, lube chain etc. With any new machine one of my first purchases is a shop manual and I am wondering if the Clymer or the Haynes is the preferred? I am sure they both cover most of the stuff but does one do it better (simpler) than the other? Any freebies on line? I may end up going for the OEM manual one of these days but not right now. Thanks.

Dave
EggspurtSpellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #667
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggspurtSpellar
Well I literally just a few hours ago brought home a new to me '93. It's well used and semi abused but overall seems to be pretty solid. If the weather holds I may take it out for a shakedown tomorrow but I think I will give it a good cleaning and tear it down to inspect wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, head bearings, lube chain etc. With any new machine one of my first purchases is a shop manual and I am wondering if the Clymer or the Haynes is the preferred? I am sure they both cover most of the stuff but does one do it better (simpler) than the other? Any freebies on line? I may end up going for the OEM manual one of these days but not right now. Thanks.

Dave
http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto...ice_Manual.zip

Its in like 4 different languages but one is English :)
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #668
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggspurtSpellar
swing arm bearings, head bearings, lube chain etc. With any new machine one of my first purchases is a shop manual and I am wondering if the Clymer or the Haynes is the preferred? I am sure they both cover most of the stuff but does one do it better (simpler) than the other? Any freebies on line? I may end up going for the OEM manual one of these days but not right now. Thanks.

Dave
Do yourself a favor and spring for Honda's manual. Honda's is bike (XR600R) and year (1991-2000) specific. It's also available electronically. I have a 1988 (?) manual on .pdf that I use for my 1991-up XR600Rs. It's close enough.

The manuals pop up on eBay from time to time if you don't want to pay the $50 or so to get it from Honda.

"O"
Owyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #669
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,311
Another pic of mine.....it was a little snowy.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #670
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,595
Arrrgh!

Any one have a link to a supplier for wheels?
I just picked up a 91 600r that's already plated. She's got two bashed rims. P/O has already changed the hub on the rear to an aftermarket unit and it's bearings are out again.
Warp 9 has a great package of ready to go wheels but their listings only go back to 1993.
Buchanons excel rims are 197 each for front and rear rims. Plus I'd have to fix the rear hub's bearings, lace two wheels, and the rotors show wear.
The ready to go warp 9's would be sweet if I could get some!
Don't want to rob wheels from my 92 green stickered 600.
BTW, my 82 500 is now redundant and up for sale.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #671
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides
Any one have a link to a supplier for wheels?
I just picked up a 91 600r that's already plated. She's got two bashed rims. P/O has already changed the hub on the rear to an aftermarket unit and it's bearings are out again.
Warp 9 has a great package of ready to go wheels but their listings only go back to 1993.
Buchanons excel rims are 197 each for front and rear rims. Plus I'd have to fix the rear hub's bearings, lace two wheels, and the rotors show wear.
The ready to go warp 9's would be sweet if I could get some!
Don't want to rob wheels from my 92 green stickered 600.
BTW, my 82 500 is now redundant and up for sale.
Try Motostrano. Or Buchanons website.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #672
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,595
Sniper X;
"Try Motostrano. Or Buchanons website".

I had looked at those...and called bike bandit.
None of them go back beyond 93.
But, turns out a 91 is the same as the other XR's through 2000, even the 650 XR's.

And I just pulled the trigger on a set of warp 9's. Cycle gear has a sale happening where when you buy a warp 9 wheel, they throw in the tire of your choice free! The warp 9's are 359 each. They come with a rotor front and rear, and a sproket too on the back. Rotors and sprokets match oem pattern for further versatility down the road. They come with all the spacers needed and fit right on. They have large diameter spokes and are known for being strong and light wheels. No hassles with finding a trustworthy wheel man, or shipping out to buchannons. The rear wheel's bearings were shot...got that covered as well.
The only thing they don't handle is the odometer drive. Can't use the original odometer. But that's cool, a trail tech vapor is next!

Stay tuned and I'll post pic's later.

22manyrides

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #673
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides
Sniper X;
"Try Motostrano. Or Buchanons website".

I had looked at those...and called bike bandit.
None of them go back beyond 93.
But, turns out a 91 is the same as the other XR's through 2000, even the 650 XR's.

And I just pulled the trigger on a set of warp 9's. Cycle gear has a sale happening where when you buy a warp 9 wheel, they throw in the tire of your choice free! The warp 9's are 359 each. They come with a rotor front and rear, and a sproket too on the back. Rotors and sprokets match oem pattern for further versatility down the road. They come with all the spacers needed and fit right on. They have large diameter spokes and are known for being strong and light wheels. No hassles with finding a trustworthy wheel man, or shipping out to buchannons. The rear wheel's bearings were shot...got that covered as well.
The only thing they don't handle is the odometer drive. Can't use the original odometer. But that's cool, a trail tech vapor is next!

Stay tuned and I'll post pic's later.

22manyrides
Lookin forward to the pics and write up! Stock odo sucks compared tothe Vapor anyway, but you can save there too if you don't need a tach and temp...buy the TT Endurance, had one on my XR600R and it worked great, odo trip speed, only thing that sucked is you hadda push a button for the light on the panel.

Sniper X screwed with this post 01-05-2010 at 03:48 PM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #674
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
looks bloody good Sniper
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #675
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310
looks bloody good Sniper
Thanks, I just used the foam deal that the Endurance came in for the surround, I though it looked good, and it did provide protection. PS I was well chuffed with the results of both install and how well it functioned.