ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #6871
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
I can opine on the powercore 4

3 years ago they were being sold for $215 shipped, at the time it was the best value, quality good, performance good(compared to what?) sound is GREAT.

there are a few issues with it...sometimes the frame tab attachment point can crack...not always, mine did so I opted to not use that mounting point.

it also leaks through the little allen screws(most aftermarket mufflers do this, so you can seal them up with your favourite high temp rtv.

other than that great value...and soundm its also light

the q4 is more expensive because its designed to be quieter and therefore is tested more...its a nice peice that will give you the same performance, maybe a smidge less than the powercore...although that is subjective

steve loves the xrsonly, out of the 3 I would say its the best but is it worth that bit more? dont know

cheers

I am almost near a repack time...I can feel the exhaust geting metallic sounding...and muffled at the same time...
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #6872
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: MelbVagas
Oddometer: 216
Map link please?

Hey Christian,
can you please post a map link of the beach where the pic was taken? Let me loose on that for a day and you'll see the roost marks from the moon. I'd got NUTS... Awsome ride territory..
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #6873
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: MelbVagas
Oddometer: 216
......oh and nearly finished off the rear racks with panniers, will post pics for you fellow XR freaks soon. Anyone got a set of stiffer front or rear springs not being used?

ROOST
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #6874
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deejay_xr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post
guys!
Which the muffler is better for XR600?

1. XRs ONLY
2. FMF Racing Q4
3. FMF Powercore 4
weight?
quality?
work?
Any thoughts, experience, ideas.
Thanks for the help!






Im real happy with the FMF Q4, though I have no experience with either of the other mufflers.

Weight is good, only reference I have is that it is lighter than the stock muffler.

Sound is really great, a little too quiet for my taste but it is meant to be the more silent muffler they offer, so it delivered on that. I like too hear the thing grunt though.
I found that removing the dB killer insert all together was a little overkill in the other direction, so I hacked out a piece of the insert with my dremel and I have it right where I want it sound-wise.

The sound is still pretty conservative while cruising at constant speeds, but once you twist the throttle the thumps are there loud and oh so clear


I guess if you go for sound there is no reason to choose the Q4 over the Powercore 4. If you want to tone it down a bit, Q4 is great
__________________
'87 XR600R, 17's and fully black
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #6875
T4EaterJonny
Not too hip...
 
T4EaterJonny's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 63
I still don't know what's on my bike... Its loud though. Funky name to it. I'll look the next time I pull the plastic off.
__________________
1994 XR600R - Plated. Kenda trackmaster rear, Maxxis front, geared 15/43. I'm a street rider- help me learn! Hopefully soon a speedometer and a big ol'e gas tank.
T4EaterJonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #6876
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics
 
Ghost_Mutant's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: border of granite & flats
Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post
guys!
Which the muffler is better for XR600?

1. XRs ONLY
2. FMF Racing Q4
3. FMF Powercore 4
weight?
quality?
work?
Any thoughts, experience, ideas.
Thanks for the help!
Hi Ivan,

I was sent an 85 XR6 muffler by mistake when trying to get a used XR5 muffler to replace my super loud aftermarket Cobra that came with the bike. The ebay seller then disappeared so I was stuck with it.

Well, the 85 XR6 muffler will not fit the XR5 frame. Different frame mounting points, and the XR6 muffler hits the XR5 frame upright before fully seating/sealing to the header pipe outlet.

While waiting for a another ebay listing on a good used XR5 muffler, I added a short extension adapter to the XR6 muffler to get it to fit the XR5 frame. It was an automotive muffler adapter piece from the local auto parts store.

If you are going to buy a newer style aftermarket muffler, get the version that has the movable band for the muffler support. That way you could adjust the band to fit the XR5 mounting location. But be sure to check the space the new muffler will require behind the header pipe. The XR5 frame has the longer support tubes. I think you would have better luck fitting an XL6 muffler to the XR5 frame. But I don't know if they make versions of the new mufflers for the XL6.

Let me know if you need photos. I could probably dig out the XR6 muffler this weekend to show you where the interference is.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #6877
Ivanych
Ivanych
 
Ivanych's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: St. Petersburg. Russia
Oddometer: 238
muffler for XR600

Thank you very much guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
Hi Ivan,

I was sent an 85 XR6 muffler by mistake when trying to get a used XR5 muffler to replace my super loud aftermarket Cobra that came with the bike. The ebay seller then disappeared so I was stuck with it.

Well, the 85 XR6 muffler will not fit the XR5 frame. Different frame mounting points, and the XR6 muffler hits the XR5 frame upright before fully seating/sealing to the header pipe outlet.

While waiting for a another ebay listing on a good used XR5 muffler, I added a short extension adapter to the XR6 muffler to get it to fit the XR5 frame. It was an automotive muffler adapter piece from the local auto parts store.

If you are going to buy a newer style aftermarket muffler, get the version that has the movable band for the muffler support. That way you could adjust the band to fit the XR5 mounting location. But be sure to check the space the new muffler will require behind the header pipe. The XR5 frame has the longer support tubes. I think you would have better luck fitting an XL6 muffler to the XR5 frame. But I don't know if they make versions of the new mufflers for the XL6.

Let me know if you need photos. I could probably dig out the XR6 muffler this weekend to show you where the interference is.

HI David,
I will be very glad to see your photos!!
Best Regards
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #6878
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
Hey Christian,
can you please post a map link of the beach where the pic was taken? Let me loose on that for a day and you'll see the roost marks from the moon. I'd got NUTS... Awsome ride territory..
pretty basic map...sorry google too slow on my comp...

https://maps.google.com.sv/maps?hl=en&tab=wl PLAYA SAN DIEGO

I can give you gps coordinates if you want! jajaja
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #6879
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
i had a powercore 4 on my xr650l and it was loud but i put the spark arrester screen in it and it quieted it down just enough for me. great sounding muffler.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #6880
luckyjr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Sequndo Frente
Oddometer: 78
Muffler advice needed??

I have a Up -Tite exhaust system on my 95 xr600r. I am looking to buy a FMF or other muffler and still use my header. The header pipe measures 1.875 dia where the muffler pipe mates over it. It intersects to the right of the frame tube and the muffler pipe angles outward slightly. ANYONE know of a lite weight muffler that will work?
luckyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #6881
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Got my new forkprotectors from acerbis (used.)

before:


While building:



After:



nice sleeve to pass the brakeline through


and a question about some electrical magic.

This plug was kinda burned and I had to break it loose from the female side.. What does it do and why was it burned/melted?

Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #6882
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
aaaay

thats a euro harness so I cant help much but here are a few thoughts...whats it connected to and are you overloading those wires?

were they dirty? use DIALECTRIC grease on all connectors

thats about all I can help with

vibrations will and can cause the same thing to happen from being too close together...I like to space wires apart especially at the connectors and not ziptie them all in a closed bunch as the heat does a lot of melting!

BUT you like fires dontcha? so have at it! jajajajaja
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #6883
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
redundant question I know

Im getting sick and tired of my rusty headers, even washing before and after a bech ride, or using other methods including sprays wd40 etc...my headers just wont stay black

I have tried baking, painting, double painting, using primers, no primers, etc..etc...

I cant afford new headers or even some xl headers cause if shipping so I was wondering if I can do the ultimate sacrilege and try wrapping them and paint them over?

has anybody had DIRECT EXPERIENCE with this, not just opinion please...Ive read a million pros and cons, and know many who use it...

Im also getting tired of the heat and the fact that the damn header started rubbing my oil feed line to the head last ride when it got a bit loose

yikes!

anywhoo

I mean if someone tells me it will last 1 year before crumbling to peices maybe it will help me save up for a powerbomb or xl headers or a new exhaust for my twin headers I restored

thanks guys

elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #6884
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
aaaay

thats a euro harness so I cant help much but here are a few thoughts...whats it connected to and are you overloading those wires?

were they dirty? use DIALECTRIC grease on all connectors

thats about all I can help with

vibrations will and can cause the same thing to happen from being too close together...I like to space wires apart especially at the connectors and not ziptie them all in a closed bunch as the heat does a lot of melting!

BUT you like fires dontcha? so have at it! jajajajaja
Y U IGNORE MY NEW FORK PROTECTORS...

On your header issue: Try VHT heatresistant/flameproof spraypaint..

OR

Try find that paint they use on oldskool stoves/ovens and the likes and apply it with a brush, nice and thick, will chip less easily

edit: on a side note, WD-40 is crap in my opinion, it works a little for a lot of things, but in the end its crap, its no penetrant oil, its no contact spray, etc.
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #6885
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Bad connections , either loose or from corrosion. Power trying to go thru a smaller conductor. Same as if a wire were cut half way thru would become a hot spot.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014