ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #7576
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
well yeah the bike is for sale, permanently I guess!

nothing like getting offers for 1k...yeah sure.

about the bike I had a weird stalling cutting out issue that I have decided is from badly leaking valves or something else

I found a weird 1 out of every 3 or 4 kick cycles I get compression then it will just go through without any problems...so its leaking somewhere

I HOPE its not rings..but you just never know huh?

sucks
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #7577
GodSilla
I did that.
 
GodSilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Village Idiot's residence
Oddometer: 7,294
Electrics question

Hi fellers, I am wanting to fit an HID to my XR600R. I know the HID's work from a 12v DC source (battery) but my understanding is that the XR headlight is powered by a 12v AC source.
Has anyone got any idea if an HID will work on an XR? Has anyone done this before?
Thanks.

UPDATE: It seems it won't work, the HID requires a DC supply.
__________________
Death to Turnips.

GodSilla screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 02:13 AM Reason: updated with new info
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 AM   #7578
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deejay_xr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Hi fellers, I am wanting to fit an HID to my XR600R. I know the HID's work from a 12v DC source (battery) but my understanding is that the XR headlight is powered by a 12v AC source.
Has anyone got any idea if an HID will work on an XR? Has anyone done this before?
Thanks.

UPDATE: It seems it won't work, the HID requires a DC supply.
It would if you add a battery, all batteries are DC

Can't help you though with what battery to get and where to mount it etc.
There's a few people that stuck a battery in their airbox I believe
__________________
'87 XR600R, 17's and fully black
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #7579
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
thought it'd be nice to freshen up my plastics.. on a break now cause my hand is pretty cramped..





edit: hmm I'll take some better pics with my digicam... phone doesnt quite show the difference...
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #7580
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/
 
HeadTrauma's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Is it really true that the dual carb models made noticably more power than the later models?
Yes. Even the small port engines do. Two separate ports and valves tend to flow better than one big port splitting into two valves. Something else that helps is the dual carbs having a straight shot at the head. The '88-00 single carburetor is angled to clear the rear shock, which biases flow toward the left intake valve. The single carb heads aren't a slouch in the flow department, but I have only seen flow numbers for one with an open port with clay radius, not with the carb and/or insulator attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
UPDATE: It seems it won't work, the HID requires a DC supply.
All that means is that you need to add a rectifier and DC regulator.
__________________
1995 XR628R -Lots of goodies...room for more.
"Another breakdown, suicidal shakedown,
Feels like I'm livin' on a chain gang."
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #7581
Huskylove
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: SF Bay
Oddometer: 54
Allright guys if anyone wants a kick ass motor I am willing to accept reasonable lowball offers. (Found a bike I want need cash)




Getting sick of the craiglisters wanting to only buy the plated frame, or like the rocker cover or something stupid.
__________________
96 Xr600r, 644cc 10.5:1 Je, megacycle cam/rockers, fcr41 sudco, custom exhaust and a set of 17's <motor and frame for sale PM me
Huskylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #7582
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deejay_xr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
Yes. Even the small port engines do. Two separate ports and valves tend to flow better than one big port splitting into two valves. Something else that helps is the dual carbs having a straight shot at the head. The '88-00 single carburetor is angled to clear the rear shock, which biases flow toward the left intake valve. The single carb heads aren't a slouch in the flow department, but I have only seen flow numbers for one with an open port with clay radius, not with the carb and/or insulator attached.
Interesting, thanks !
__________________
'87 XR600R, 17's and fully black
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #7583
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
so, took some pics




scraped


unscraped
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #7584
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,865
Bling

These are going on my XR

__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #7585
2manyrides
shifty charactor
 
2manyrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Citrus Heights Ca.
Oddometer: 1,583
I've been missing in action...

Actualy I have been out of action...
Hello everyone!

Nice stuff there steve!
__________________
too many...
I have completely lost count

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #7586
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: waikato gravel and sand
Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
so, took some pics

[scraped

unscraped
looking good mate.
i been using autosol metal polish on my plastics, nice and cheap and bugger all elbow grease
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #7587
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: waikato gravel and sand
Oddometer: 672
hot looking bling Steve, looking forward to the finished product photo
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #7588
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310 View Post
looking good mate.
i been using autosol metal polish on my plastics, nice and cheap and bugger all elbow grease
I still have to try using a heatgun to get it a bit glossy, its all matte now.
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:01 AM   #7589
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: MelbVagas
Oddometer: 215
Leaky Valve ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
well yeah the bike is for sale, permanently I guess!

nothing like getting offers for 1k...yeah sure.

about the bike I had a weird stalling cutting out issue that I have decided is from badly leaking valves or something else

I found a weird 1 out of every 3 or 4 kick cycles I get compression then it will just go through without any problems...so its leaking somewhere

I HOPE its not rings..but you just never know huh?

sucks
Mate of mine has an old XT600 that had a strange miss on idle, every 20 or so seconds it would hiccup and briefly cut out before continuing on idling...

Mechanic suggested that a valve was leaking, only when that valve rotated to a position where the mate against the seat was foul... ie: every time it rotate to the 12 o'clock, if briefly missed. I never have thunk it !
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #7590
BSW
Adventurer
 
BSW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Munster Ireland
Oddometer: 77
Restoring old plastics

Some household cleaning products work best for me.
BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014