User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
(none) OP
poser

Oddometer: 2,579
Hippo hands, anyone try them?

I'm a freak. I don't mind riding in the cold, as long as i can stay comfortable. I've got most everything else taken care of, but my hands. I hate big, bulky goves. I installed a set of heated grips that keep my hands toasty with my light, summer gloves to around the upper 30s, but i want to keep the wind off of them. I thought of getting some hand guards from a Vstrom or something, then came across these. Anyone try them? They look like they will help me obtain my goal of keeping my fingers warm, while only wearing thin gloves. The ugliness does not bother me.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
stoney4vida
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 2,159
I be lovin mine in about another month ! I wear my elk skin gloves with heated hand grips and Hippo hands down into the 20's and toasty warm.
stoney4vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,338
Paul Mondor rode across canada with them, I have a cheaper knock off pair for atvs work just fine.
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
BOUNTY HUNTER
Bavarian Bomber Wrench

Oddometer: 866
I use them all the time during the shitty winter season. However, TRUE Hippo Hands were very hard and if you remove your hand from the handlebar to wipe your face shield you may find it difficult to stuff your hand back inside to grab the clutch, brake, etc. during a "Holy Shit!!!" moment.
That is why most people use snowmobile gauntlets which are soft so that you can grab the whole gauntlet from the outside and still grasp the clutch or brake lever. Anyway, enjoy your extended riding season :~)
BOUNTY HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,742
Have used them on two trips. They keep your gloves dry too...

Thanks(giving) for Traveling...

We Took the Best Road to Alaska

sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:16 AM   #6
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
If i had to have one thing on the bike for cold riding, it would be hippohands. i love mine. My Vetter HH's were a lot better than the new textile ones, but theyre pretty tough to find and theyre huge. The new ones are much smaller and still pretty functional.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
I have them on my KLR. It seems no matter how heavy a glove I wear, my hands always get cold, so having something to block the wind makes a big difference in the glove I can get by with.

Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,786
They work very well and keeping your hands warm and dry. But, but like others mentioned, they might press on the clutch or brake levers at speed. This is not a problem with bikes that have handguards, like the GS.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
I use them (the hippohands from Dan up in Canada), they work great keeping the cold wind off of my hands. With heated grips, my hands are nice and warm.
Tony
Old 11-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 252
I use these:

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/att...jpg?1182789597

They are the new versio of the Geartector Mitts by Kolpin. They have a built in ring to keep the hand holes open.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/sto...7/products/108

With these, summer gloves and heated grips (on low power) my hands have stayed warm and comfortable in temperatures to 20* F. It has not been colder here yet.

snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
I've used them for a few years. This morning (28*F) my heated grip controller quit working, so I was very glad that I had the HippoHands on. My hands were cool but not freezing like they would have been if not for the HippoHands. With my last bike I didn't have heated grips and just used these for keeping my hands warm.
Tony
Old 12-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #12
Slice
words+pix+wood+bikes

Oddometer: 681
Snare—

The Kolpin mitts look good. My HippoHands do a poor job of staying straight during higher speeds, deforming and pushing on the clutch and brake levers. The Kolpin website mentions a "durable Rhino plate front panel." Do yours have these panels, and do they work on standard bikes (without hand guards) to prevent the mitts from deforming under wind pressure? I have a Street Triple and was wondering if they would work. Got any pics of the Rhino plate, or the mitts themselves, on your ride?

—Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snare
I use these:

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/att...jpg?1182789597

They are the new versio of the Geartector Mitts by Kolpin. They have a built in ring to keep the hand holes open.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/sto...7/products/108

With these, summer gloves and heated grips (on low power) my hands have stayed warm and comfortable in temperatures to 20* F. It has not been colder here yet.

"They've got roads there that make Deal's Gap look like a runway." —Buelligan1203 on Japan
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
You can't tell in the picture above on mine, but I have hand guards, so no problems with them pressing on my levers. Also, something mentioned in another post above, the opening to the grips doesn't collapse when you take your hand out. True, it would be hard to manipulate the controls if you had to grab them thru the mitt, but I think that's where the big, non collapsing opening helps. The Hippo Hands have a thick plastic inner membrane that acts as an insulator and makes the mitts hold their shape.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #14
einnar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I use them in the winter in Michigan. Very nice to have, and you can wear the same set of gloves year round with them. (Bring a pair of warmer gloves with your saddlebags, just in case you have to fix something.. DAMHIK.)

I put a hard ring around the back of them with some coathanger to keep mine open. Works great. I'll second the statement here that handguards keep them off the controls. Get both handguards and HH.
einnar is offline   Reply With Quote