Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
GSBS OP
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,719
Hackless in Alabama...

Hello all...

I'm considering buying a sidecar rig - probably late model Ural - because recently we added a golden retriever puppy to the family.

The sidecar seems like a great idea, but I've never actually ridden a bike with sidecar (or even ridden in a sidecar). After thinking about it I realized I'd be crazy to put out the considerable $$$ for a sidecar rig before knowing if I'd like riding one.

So, I'm hoping someone here would be willing to meet up and give me a ride (or let me take theirs around the block).

I'm in North Central Alabama 30 miles north of Birmingham in rural Blount County, but would be willing to ride anywhere in Alabama (or maybe surrounding states) to check out a hack.

Thanks!
David
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,350
I sent you an email

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
I think Claude may have suggested this, but get a ride before you buy. An outfit is a different vehicle to anything else and some people simply can't get their heads round the fact that it leans in the direction it wants to and the controls do different things in different circumstances. Even a trike isn't the same. I'd hate for you to buy one then find you think it handles like a badly made supermarket trolly.

The other reason to get a ride on one is so you've an idea about how a decent outfit will handle. If you can get a ride at a dealer or training course you'll have at least a rough idea if any used example is Ok, set up wrong or just plain wrong.

There is a thread about Urals that I guess you've read. Without repeating what's there, I think you need to match how much work you will do against the bike. If you want to ride, IMHO get the newest 750 you can, if you like oily hands get a 650 or a Chang or one that wasn't run in properly. If you really need a 70 mph cruising speed, get something else.

Dog wise I'm afraid you need to get on with things. Any dog put in a sidecar before 12 weeks old will love it, after that some won't manage (I never met one, but they are out there). I'm guessing yours will be used to bike noise and travelling in a car, in which case you've made a start. Once you've got the hang of an outfit start with sitting in the chair with the harness on, then short rides, then longer ones, is repatition like any training. After the short runs you'll know if yours is going to ride head out or head in. If it's head out, you need to do some training to get them used to either Doggles or safety goggles with a chin strap added. Head out dogs without eye protection get bug and slipstream damage. I'm lucky, ours (Gooner; Collie Alsation cross) has always been head in and sleeps through anything over 5 miles. Good job really, he ate his Doggles

Good Luck, let us all know how you get on and please keep asking anything you think anyone here can help with.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
GSBS OP
FunHog

Thanks...

That's what I'm hoping for, a chance to try before I buy.

Thanks for the quick responses!

David
Old 12-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,498
Cool2

Look into taking a Sidecar/Trike Education Program course (S/TEP) if you can... We have two in the NorthWet, which made it easier for me. You might have to look around a bit.
Anyways, you pays yer money and plays w/the program rigs for two days. Better'n buying one only to find out it's not for you!
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
GSBS OP
FunHog

Good idea...

...I'm gonna check with our state motorcycle safety program to see if they offer the classes.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,950
Shameless plug.

If you want to try the hack thing, don't want to spend a fortune and like the idea of Honda reliability.
Our rig has almost identical on road performance as a Ural and my dog never once mentioned that its was any less "cool"

If a trip to the beach is in your plans before this sells, your welcome to come try it either way.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412349

Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,531
Hey David,
Im about 35 miles north of you. I'm trying to work a deal on an old BMW outfit. if it goes thru, I'll let you ride it.
My 1st hack was an R69S combo. when I 1st rode it, I HATED it. but it looked so cool, I wouldnt give up. I learned to love it.
I dont think Bama has a sidecar school, theres just not enough of em here.

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:28 AM   #9
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
I have a 2005 Gear Up. I live up near Florette/Somerville. Depending on what the missus has scheduled I may be able to accomodate you this weekend. Sunday afternoon would most likely be best.

I will give youi a ride and let you drive it around the parking lot up at the park in Florette. A rig is very hard to get used to and easy to flip if you let it get away from you are speeed, thus the reason for the parking lot restriction.

Which brings me to my next topic. It could be counterproductiive to test drive. As I mentioned, driving a rig can be very scary when you first try it. You would swear the thing is going to come over on you. And it can. However, once you get the swing of things they are a blast.

PM sent.

Yankee Dog
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,498
Cool2 Whatta nice bunch a guys

...down there in Alabamy!
Hey GSBS - if you do decide to buy one, still consider taking a mini-vacation to get some training somewhere... it's worth it. Might consider the United SideCar Association too. linky
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
I have a 2005 Gear Up. I live up near Florette/Somerville. Depending on what the missus has scheduled I may be able to accomodate you this weekend. Sunday afternoon would most likely be best.

I will give youi a ride and let you drive it around the parking lot up at the park in Florette. A rig is very hard to get used to and easy to flip if you let it get away from you are speeed, thus the reason for the parking lot restriction.

Which brings me to my next topic. It could be counterproductiive to test drive. As I mentioned, driving a rig can be very scary when you first try it. You would swear the thing is going to come over on you. And it can. However, once you get the swing of things they are a blast.

PM sent.

Yankee Dog
I totally agree with the above. You will not like driving the rig for the first time. However, after a few miles, hours, etc, you will love it. I love my Ural rig, but still prefer two wheels most of the time. My little Pug rides in the rig, but also in his pet carrier on all of my bikes. Taking the dog along just adds to the enjoyment of the ride.

We (the Pug & I) took a 6000 mile ride last Summer. That was my first long trip with him, but I will not leave home without him again. That trip was on my ST, since I use the Ural for short rides, errands, etc.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
2000 Kawasaki W650
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:57 AM   #12
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Nice rig

Very nice rig. Yes, that Honda reliability is outstanding, to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger
Shameless plug.

If you want to try the hack thing, don't want to spend a fortune and like the idea of Honda reliability.
Our rig has almost identical on road performance as a Ural and my dog never once mentioned that its was any less "cool"

If a trip to the beach is in your plans before this sells, your welcome to come try it either way.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412349

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
2000 Kawasaki W650
Old 12-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,788
You don't RIDE a sidecar motorcycle...you DRIVE it...
Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #14
gec343
Studly Adventurer

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
You don't RIDE a sidecar motorcycle...you DRIVE it...
Very true statement. Also, Spicy McHaggis, thanks for serving in the USCG.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
2000 Kawasaki W650
Old 12-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
ZONKR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I bought my 2007 GearUp last year without ever having driven one. Gave the salesman the check, did all the paperwork and then he climbed into the tub and said "let's go". We drove around on some neighborhood streets behind the dealership and I was thinking I'd made a big mistake. They put it on a trailer and delivered it to my house the next day and the rest is history. Took a little getting used to but now I can't stay off of it.
BMWMOA 116478
ZONKR is offline   Reply With Quote