User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #16
Gene McCall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thumb

GSBS, I think you will soon be able to have a taste of driving a hack. In March of this year I picked up my 2000 ST1100 at Hannigan's Motorsports in Murray, Ky after they added a 2008 Astro sidecar. In June an old riding buddy from Oz and I took off on a 15,000 plus miles trip, covering 17 or 18 states, including Alaska and I think 10 Canadian provinces. We split the driving duties and neither of us had owned a hack before. My only experience was getting to drive an old BMW rig for a few miles, hated it! I am only now really beginning to enjoy the hack, it took a lot of getting used to for me. I don't think my aussie buddy would ever own a hack. Having said that I am finding it is great for all sorts of chores and is really great for traveling. BTW I am located in Murfreesboro, Tn., not too far away, let me know if you don't get your ride.
Gene McCall

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Gene McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:05 AM   #17
GSBS OP
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
Thumb Many Thanks to Yankee Dog...

Yesterday afternoon he took me for a tour of his neighborhood in his Gear Up Ural sidecar rig and then let me take the controls in a large parking lot for a taste of hack-dom.

The one word that comes to mind to describe my first sidecar experience - squirmy. But the brief ride was enough to let me know I wanted more and will be scanning the web for deals on recent model Urals over the winter months.

Thanks again Yankee Dog! Great to meet you and the Missus yesterday
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #18
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Nice rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene McCall
GSBS, I think you will soon be able to have a taste of driving a hack. In March of this year I picked up my 2000 ST1100 at Hannigan's Motorsports in Murray, Ky after they added a 2008 Astro sidecar. In June an old riding buddy from Oz and I took off on a 15,000 plus miles trip, covering 17 or 18 states, including Alaska and I think 10 Canadian provinces. We split the driving duties and neither of us had owned a hack before. My only experience was getting to drive an old BMW rig for a few miles, hated it! I am only now really beginning to enjoy the hack, it took a lot of getting used to for me. I don't think my aussie buddy would ever own a hack. Having said that I am finding it is great for all sorts of chores and is really great for traveling. BTW I am located in Murfreesboro, Tn., not too far away, let me know if you don't get your ride.
Gene McCall

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice rig. I have never seen an ST with a sidecar. It has me thinking.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #19
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,671
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
Yesterday afternoon he took me for a tour of his neighborhood in his Gear Up Ural sidecar rig and then let me take the controls in a large parking lot for a taste of hack-dom.

The one word that comes to mind to describe my first sidecar experience - squirmy. But the brief ride was enough to let me know I wanted more and will be scanning the web for deals on recent model Urals over the winter months.

Good onya' YD.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #20
Gene McCall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343
Nice rig. I have never seen an ST with a sidecar. It has me thinking.
gec343, actually Dave Keesee, the guy at Hannigan's who put my rig together said he has done more 1300s than 1100s. I have seen several GL1500 & 1800s but only pictures of 1300s with hacks.
Gene McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #21
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene McCall
gec343, actually Dave Keesee, the guy at Hannigan's who put my rig together said he has done more 1300s than 1100s. I have seen several GL1500 & 1800s but only pictures of 1300s with hacks.
Gene:

Thanks for that tip. I love my Ural Tourist, but it is not a touring rig, at least in my opinion. The ST1100 & 1300's are the most reliable motorcycles that I know of.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #22
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS

SQUIRMY!!! I dont know what you mean. Thats all part of the Ural experience. But seriously folks after to have ridden a hack for awhile you dont even notice the push and pull related to getting on and off the throttle.

Anyway, it was my great pleasure to show you around the neighborhood and let you test drive the beast.

Good luck in your search.

Yankee Dog
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote