Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #7636
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
If I had my way (and money and space were no object)... I would buy a Honda CRF250L to do some dirt riding and buy a used Ninja 250 to do some track days on, then attach a sidecar to the TU to make it easier to cart my daughter around and to be the grocery-getter!

What can I say? I love 250's!
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #7637
avianello
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Voltmeter

Hi,
I am another Mainer (I live in Standish). I have seen that you have a voltmeter. Where did you attach it? Is there any cable which is disconnected when the key is off? Let me know if you want to take a ride with the TUs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen250 View Post
Hey all, new member here. I, of course, have been aware of advrider for a long time but have never had the urge to post.

However, someone over at my motorcycle store told me about this thread and I just had to join in. I have only read the last four or five pages as all 93 seemed a little excessive. Sorry about that.

I have had my TU250 for almost two years now with an unknown amount of miles on it as the one problem I have had is the speedometer cable breaking every time it gets to be 10F or below...well maybe I should start at the beginning.

I live in Maine, USA and ride year round. I don't ride (or at least try not to)when it is actively snowing and keep track of the number of days I miss each season (this last one, which is hopefully over, I missed 11 days). Before I had the TU I used an F650GS (single) for my winter riding. For whatever reason, I traded that in on an F650GS (twin) which was unacceptable for winter riding so I bought my TU to fill in that gap.

I have used the TU in all kinds of weather for rides of 30 miles and under, my commute is 12.5 miles long and can include highway or not at my discretion. As stated many times on this thread before, the bike is very endearing, feels solid, and is a blast to ride so long as you can manage not to slow down. Drag racing mini-vans is awesome. Interestingly, I find the bike to be more stable in windy weather than either of the GS's (the 658 totaled itself outside of Bryce Canyon but that is another story) but not more stable than my current 'big' bike, a 2008 Triumph Tiger.

Things I have on my bike include:
1) Oxford heated grips, used sparingly with eyes glued to my add-on voltmeter
2) Old windshield I had hanging around the garage
3) Hippo Hands when the weather is less than 50F
4) Bicycle speedometer to be sure I can track speed and trip miles even when my speedometer cable is broken, also gives me a time of day read out
5) Thermometer, mounted to gas cap (speaking of the gas cap, I rigged up a little piece of plastic glued to a magnet so I can put a cover over the key hole so rain does not get in and freeze on cold days (ask me how I know this is a problem))
6) Wolfman waterproof panniers, had to move the turn signals to the where the reflectors were to accommodate the panniers
7) Givi top bag plate instead of a rear seat (I don't have the top bag but the plate is good to bungee things to)

I am sure there is more but you get the idea. If you have read this far, I appreciate the opportunity to get this out.

Cheers,
Fred
Old 04-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #7638
Txjack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
New to TU250 family

Well time to chime in on this great thread. After reading the entire post & much thought on getting burned by craigslist again, I had a chance to pick up a fast red one yesterday. Thanks to all the great input & enthusiasm from the likes of NJBrett & co. I think this one will fill the nich. I will send a pic as soon as I figure out how. By the way I'm 200# 5'7" and this bike fits me as good as it does my Son who is 5'3" 115!
Txjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #7639
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
seats

I contacted seat concepts about doing seats for the TU.
Here is the response:

Brett,
If you can get 8 people to commit to buying this seat we can make it.
Robert

They make great seat covers and new foam, mostly for dual sport bikes, which come with narrow, thin, hard seats mostly.
Instead of buying a $300.00+ new seat, many spend $120.00 and get the seat concepts seat.

Everyone seems lo love the results, they offer 4 or 5 different covers, check out their web page.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~...0&sort=nameAsc

I imagine the seat would be a bit taller, with thicker better foam.

Any interest?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #7640
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I contacted seat concepts about doing seats for the TU.
Here is the response:

Brett,
If you can get 8 people to commit to buying this seat we can make it.
Robert

They make great seat covers and new foam, mostly for dual sport bikes, which come with narrow, thin, hard seats mostly.
Instead of buying a $300.00+ new seat, many spend $120.00 and get the seat concepts seat.

Everyone seems lo love the results, they offer 4 or 5 different covers, check out their web page.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~...0&sort=nameAsc

I imagine the seat would be a bit taller, with thicker better foam.

Any interest?
I would be interested. It would be a one piece seat or two?

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #7641
NJ-Brett
Brett

Seat concepts sells you a new cover and foam, for your stock seat.
I suppose you could buy and do only the front if you wanted to.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #7642
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
for the first time in longer than i am wiling to admit, i took the TU to work today. it felt good to ride in
also seemed a coworker of mine had the same idea as his ultra glide was already here when i showed up.

it gave me a chance to try out the new hot lanes on 495. these are toll lanes thata run around part of 495. motorcycles and cars with 3+ people ride for free, every one else pays, and of course no one wants to pay, so the lanes are pretty empty. these lanes are also patrolled more, and the 55mph limit is more strictly enforced, which makes things a little nicer/more relaxed.

life has been in the way and ive still not gotten around to installing my new sprockets...
at this rate, i may just pony up and have the local place do it for me.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #7643
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 232
A softer seat would be nice that's one of my only complaints is the seat. Short rides are ok but sitting on it for 3+ hours it does get uncomfortable. But maybe that's any motorcycle? The tu is the only thing I have ridden for that long.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #7644
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
If I ride more than an hour, I wear triathleate shorts. That and standing on pegs for a few minutes when I need to and i can ride long days without issue. I don't think a change in seat would help me.

Sent from mobile
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #7645
pullmanDave
2 Lane Tourer

Oddometer: 82
TU250X For Sale

I've enjoyed this thread (the whole thing) all the way from wishing I had a bike though a purchase decision, sprocket upgrades, and advice of all kinds on everything from air pressure, new tires, to accessory purchases.
But now it is time to move on. I have a fast, red 2009 TU for sale. If you are interested, there is a listing here: http://tu250riders.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2261 or here:http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...250x-110194883.
I added some extra information about the custom rack I had made to hold the Givi e21 cases. A fun project that made the TU even more capable for camping/touring around the Northwest.

Dave
pullmanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #7646
Txjack
Adventurer

Damaged goods?

Need to tap in to the wisdom of the list. I bought this Tu w/a brief ride & ck from my Son as I'm still under the weather, strep throat. Not too worried, general overall condition is good. However upon finding out from previous owner where bike was purchased I believe it was used as an MSF training bike. A few scrapes & scratches, clutch seems tired, throttle has much play. I think the speedo was disconnected due to the facts that the odo shows 1538, yet the chen-shings are toast! Still believe all problems are easy fixes. Any ideas?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #7647
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmanDave View Post
I've enjoyed this thread (the whole thing) all the way from wishing I had a bike though a purchase decision, sprocket upgrades, and advice of all kinds on everything from air pressure, new tires, to accessory purchases.
But now it is time to move on. I have a fast, red 2009 TU for sale. If you are interested, there is a listing here: http://tu250riders.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2261 or here:http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...250x-110194883.
I added some extra information about the custom rack I had made to hold the Givi e21 cases. A fun project that made the TU even more capable for camping/touring around the Northwest.

Dave
Dave would like to by your side racks for my 2009 TU how much? cms {Terry]
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #7648
NJ-Brett
Brett

What do you mean about the clutch feels tired?

There is a cable adjustment for the throttle (and the clutch) at both ends.
The grip/lever ends have a hand adjustment/jam nut setup.

You want some play in both, but not a lot.

The type of oil can make a big difference in clutch feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjack View Post
Need to tap in to the wisdom of the list. I bought this Tu w/a brief ride & ck from my Son as I'm still under the weather, strep throat. Not too worried, general overall condition is good. However upon finding out from previous owner where bike was purchased I believe it was used as an MSF training bike. A few scrapes & scratches, clutch seems tired, throttle has much play. I think the speedo was disconnected due to the facts that the odo shows 1538, yet the chen-shings are toast! Still believe all problems are easy fixes. Any ideas?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #7649
Txjack
Adventurer

I've only have been able to adjust clutch linkage@lever & try in my driveway. Wont be able to really work on bike until weekend. My Son, Scott road the bike & said that the bike did not shift well. Also had play in throttle cable. I plan on oil & fit. change, & checking all related cables & adj. this weekend.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #7650
560SELewis
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonypdx View Post

I also noticed that WeBike has added a new, more economical, option - which appears (I could be wrong) to simply be a cover that you wrap over the stock seat.

http://japan.webike.net/products/317187.html

It's about $120 plus shipping... so I could be tempted on this one.

Any thoughts? Tips? Experience? Alternate suggestions for a supplier of this style of seat?
That appears to fit the Grass Trackder, which has a single seat, so I doubt it would fit over the double seat on the TUx. Which brings up a thought: I wonder if a Grass Tracker seat would fit the TU? And how much a factory Grass Tracker seat would cost?
560SELewis is offline   Reply With Quote