Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #8011
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerf View Post
Hahaha ... good catch!

I've been looking at that lustfully for a few days now and finally gave in to temptation and talked to the guy last night.

The craigslist seller got it from a guy in Flagstaff and is hoping to flip it ... which means that it MIGHT just be the nice sounding bike that's mentioned on tu250riders.com from Flagstaff with its missing chain guard.
seeing as how the bike on craigslist doesnt have a chain guard i would guess that to be correct.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #8012
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

so my TU has started squeaking....
only happens when i move forward, doesnt happen if i am just at a light and rev it a little.
i really notice it in second and third gear, or sometimes if i am turning a sharper left hand turn. I am kind of assuming the noise is there all the time, i just cant hear it(due to wind noise, etc) all the time. any body have any thoughts or ideas? i wont have time to investigate till saturday, hopefully it doesnt get to bad tomorrow

2012 Suzuki TU250x
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #8013
flammenwurfer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
OK tu experts. I think I've decided to pick one up and have found a used 2011 near me with 600 miles on it for $2900. Thing is it's at a car dealership. Every vehicle I've ever bought was from an individual. So how does it work buying from a dealership? Any tips on negotiating a price lower than asking price? Should I take cash and be like I have $2500 right here, give me the bike! :)
flammenwurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #8014
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by flammenwurfer View Post
Should I take cash and be like I have $2500 right here, give me the bike! :)
That's exactly what I would do. The worst thing they could do is say no.
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #8015
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
so my TU has started squeaking....
only happens when i move forward, doesnt happen if i am just at a light and rev it a little.
i really notice it in second and third gear, or sometimes if i am turning a sharper left hand turn. I am kind of assuming the noise is there all the time, i just cant hear it(due to wind noise, etc) all the time. any body have any thoughts or ideas? i wont have time to investigate till saturday, hopefully it doesnt get to bad tomorrow
brake pads. my DR200 does it with the OEM organic pads. if the TU's are sintered bronze they will/could do it also.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #8016
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Any advice on getting the big flat-head bolt out of the center of the stator cover? I'm going to check the valve clearances today and the last time I tried to remove that bolt my biggest screwdriver (BIG) kept slipping out and marring the bolt. Last time I resorted to finding TDC by jacking up the bike and turning the rear wheel...
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #8017
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Tap it loose with a flat face drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
Any advice on getting the big flat-head bolt out of the center of the stator cover? I'm going to check the valve clearances today and the last time I tried to remove that bolt my biggest screwdriver (BIG) kept slipping out and marring the bolt. Last time I resorted to finding TDC by jacking up the bike and turning the rear wheel...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #8018
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
I haven't read all the previous posts, but for what it's worth, I bought a red TU250 a couple of years ago, primarily because it just looked cool and for mainly around town trips. Turned out to be basically bullet-proof. Never failed to start instantly. At the time I had an SV 650 for out-of-town travel (turned it into a DR 650).

However, don't expect much zoom from the engine. It likes 50-55 mph, but above that it's clearly out of its comfort zone. I installed a one tooth larger front sprocket. Helped a little bit.

Suspension is minimal; perfectly OK on smooth pavement, wretched on bad pavement. Does not like dirt roads, but then most street bikes don't either.

Seating position is great, unless you're a big guy. I'm not, so it was fine for me.

I finally sold it and bought a 2012 SYM HD 200 EVO. Oddly, it has a much higher highway cruising speed (65-75 mph) than the TU 250. Go figure.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #8019
Slapie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Squeak

Shnutzy, I had a weird squeak coming at odd times a few weeks back. I traced it to the speedo cable. Took it off at the tire and some water came out. So I took the inside cable out and greased the hell out of it. Cleared up the squeak for about a month but now it's starting to do it again. Hope this helps.
Slapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #8020
jhancock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I had to replace my speedo because of the water and corrosion in the cable. Still under warranty, so 'Zuki picked up the cost. Anyone find a "fix" to seal the cable conduit better, or do I need to add this to my routine lubrication schedule, too. What to use - PJ1 cable lube?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
jhancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #8021
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider200 View Post
brake pads. my DR200 does it with the OEM organic pads. if the TU's are sintered bronze they will/could do it also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapie View Post
Shnutzy, I had a weird squeak coming at odd times a few weeks back. I traced it to the speedo cable. Took it off at the tire and some water came out. So I took the inside cable out and greased the hell out of it. Cleared up the squeak for about a month but now it's starting to do it again. Hope this helps.
both things i shall look into.
thanks guys

2012 Suzuki TU250x
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #8022
Cruisin'Carolina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
I haven't read all the previous posts, but for what it's worth, I bought a red TU250 a couple of years ago, primarily because it just looked cool and for mainly around town trips. Turned out to be basically bullet-proof. Never failed to start instantly. At the time I had an SV 650 for out-of-town travel (turned it into a DR 650).

However, don't expect much zoom from the engine. It likes 50-55 mph, but above that it's clearly out of its comfort zone. I installed a one tooth larger front sprocket. Helped a little bit.

Suspension is minimal; perfectly OK on smooth pavement, wretched on bad pavement. Does not like dirt roads, but then most street bikes don't either.

Seating position is great, unless you're a big guy. I'm not, so it was fine for me.

I finally sold it and bought a 2012 SYM HD 200 EVO. Oddly, it has a much higher highway cruising speed (65-75 mph) than the TU 250. Go figure.
Probaly the best succinct post in the thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post21806265
Cruisin'Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #8023
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Cruisin'Carolina,

Thanks. Just felt like cutting to the chase.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #8024
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
I can't argue with that assessment, but I also feel it may lean too far in the direction away from fawning enthusiasm and makes it seem like the TU250 can't really do above 55mph. I routinely ride my TU in the 65-75 range on the freeway (actual not indicated).
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #8025
moto827
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Also account that the top speed increases with the High Mileage Break-In period for the TU...

moto827 is offline   Reply With Quote