Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #76
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Any active forums for the TU that I can lurk?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Suzuki_TU250/

Karl
K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #77
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,854
I read the MCN review yesterday. It is the typical full MCN review. They really like it.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #78
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
As David Searle said -
Quote:
Even some of the most diabolically designed sportbikes can't give you a clue how to find the fastest lines in the corners, but the TU is so sure-footed and precise, it seems to know them in advance and point them out to you as if you were Ben Spies protege
And that was with the stock Cheng Shin shoes. Scott Rousseau said the one upgrade he would make would be to mount a set of the sticky Avons the AHRMA crowd love.

MCN loved the bike, they didn't want to give it back. They got it up to an honest 73 mph, it can do a quarter mile in 17.88 seconds, gets nearly 60 mpg. Their summation was nothing this slow should be so much fun to ride.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #79
thumper_tx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Finally got around to a ride this morning. Its hot as hell in Texas and you have to ride early.
I did 108 miles on all kinds of roads including 20 miles on hard packed gravel.

My initial impressions:

Bike is very agile in the curves and a joy to ride.
Ride quality was good but the narrow handlebars took some getting used to.
The bars are a little low for me although most would find them OK.
The bars being narrow also puts the mirrors in a bit more than I like. Aftermarket mirrors are easy to come by and inexpensive. They did not vibrate and become fuzzy at speed.
I had no issues at all with the stock tires. With some Mefo's or similar rudder _ it could be a reasonable dual sport.
Seat is OK but I like to repad all my own anyway. No butt burn on my ride.
There is some vibration in the handlebars - but not much (its a thumper!)
Some foam grips would work nicely here. At 55 it vibrates more than at 65 (go figure) Only ran it up 1 time after about 85 miles into the ride.
Suspension was pretty good for a low budget bike. At 190 lbs I will set the rear shock up to the 4 th notch as I personally like the ride a little firm. It came stock at # 3 which was OK. The front is adequate as is for riding the 2 lane country roads I was on. When pushed hard around the curves there was a little movement. Perhaps a change to heavier fluid will do nicely. The suspension was definately a good surprise for a sub 4 grand bike.

The shift pedal as delivered was too low for my boots to grab the bottom of the lever. ( a 5 minute fix)

This bike is not a fast mover but it is adequate. I suspect there is
a lot more HP in the engine if one wanted to get it out.

I am 5'11 and inseam at 31 inches. A long ride would probably be a little cramped after awhile at least for me.. I was able to lock my boot heels on the passenger pegs just to see how it would work. I could ( and will) do some touring on this little jewel after I figure out how to put luggage on it. Seems like every 250 has the rear turn signals installed in a way that prevents throw over luggage to be used. A luggage rack will be the first thing on my list after the free and easy mods.

I ran 108 miles on 1.2 gallon of gas for 83 mpg. Lots of this was slow riding so I am anticipating in the 70 - 75 mpg range.

That s my 2 cnts worth. Lots of bike for the money.
A few nit picky things that may not be a concern for you.
If you arte sitting on the fence - I hope this helps. It remids me of why I started riding long ago. Simply single by design>
this bike is a keeper.

Thanks.......

Ron in Smithville Tx.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #80
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
thumper_tx,
Thanks for the report. Little hot in TX? I grew up in Houston but left in 1974.
In the mountains of WNC now. Much cooler than TX.

Couldn't you find something seriously wrong with the TU250X?
Very good MPG at 83. I had to relocate the turn signals on my XT225 to allow for bags.
I'll go visit the dealer that has(had) one and see if I can make a deal.
Still haven't received my copy of MCN. Postman might be reading it.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #81
thumper_tx
Adventurer

Old 07-16-2009, 05:24 AM   #82
JimR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Saw one yesterday, a very nice looking bike, should make an excellent commuter/errand runner.
JimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #83
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your sweet new ride.
laup rethguad needs one of these. Just sayin'. Paul
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #84
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgroeneveld
I got my bike and brought it home. For all those people interested I put my first impressions on a blog. It is a great bike.

http://richgroeneveld.blogspot.com/

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ort-86942.html

2009 TU250X
Shocker of the show was a motorcycle no one could have anticipated, that is unless you’re hyper-aware of the cost of a gallon of gas here in the U.S. The TU250X is Suzuki’s stab at riding the retro wave without having to come up with a whole new bike.

The 2009 TU250X was a surprise to many people attending the dealer show. This new budget bike from Suzuki often drew a bigger crowd than many of the more popular bikes in Suzuki’s line.

The TU250X is, in essence, a restyled GZ250. The GZ is a newbie’s dream with its simple Single 249cc air-cooled engine puttering riders around in cruiser style. The TU plays on the heart strings of those riders that grew up on UJMs. It’s powered by the very same Single as the GZ, but (hold to your keyboards…) is fuel-injected! Yes, you read right, a fuel-injected air-cooled 250. Be ye beginner or stingy with your spending on fuel, the tiny and simple standard might be your path to two-wheeled giggles.

The TU250X isn’t intimidating in the least, and may very well be a big seller for Suzuki in the expanding female market.

And again, I dare say Suzuki is thinking of the ladies with this one. Seat height is only 30.3 inches, a mere 2.5 inches higher than the already low saddle height of its cruiser mate.
Additionally, the muffler carries a cat with an O2 sensor for cleaner exhaust. The little Standard loses about half a gallon of fuel capacity (3.17 vs. 3.4), but it appears to best the GZ’s “curb weight” by roughly three pounds (328 vs. 331 lbs).
I’d like to tell you what it was like to sit on, but it was kind of the star of the show as well as the show stealer. The thing was continually surround by a crowd of curious dealers. Reaction to the budget bike was mixed, as a number of dealers lamented the low-spec kit. I’ll venture a guess, though, that if the current state of economics in the U.S persists, Suzuki may have another high-demand model on their hands, and this time the dealers will know better than to not have enough of this bike on hand. The people will vote with their dollars. Cheng Shin tire-shod or not, the TU250X looks like a deal maker! Just not in California, yet…
The TU250X will be available in March at an MSRP of $3,499.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #85
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnRoad
The vibration on the handlebars at highway speeds gets to be a bit numbing. I think I need better padding in the gloves..

Bar snake and bar end weights would, probalby, fix that problem.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #86
OnRoad
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Update on my TU250XK9..

Had the 600 mile service done $188. Valves were fine chain had to be tightened and the clutch and speedo cable had to be tightened slightly. Oil and filter changed. Oil was fine, no junk.

There was some additional noise from the engine which was magically cured with higher octane gas. My guess is that I got a bad tank. I also noticed a significant performance increase with the higher octane gas and less vibration in the handle bars.

Fuel economy at the last fill up was 81 mpg.

Since then I have put another 200 miles on the bike and as long as there is no cross wind, 60 is not a problem. (55 actually as the speedo reads higher than you are actually going starting at about 25mph.)

Fun rating still at 9 out of 10.

Stupid trick of the day...
Flip the kick stand up with the helmet still locked to the side of the bike.
OnRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #87
thumper_tx
Adventurer

Put another 100 miles on mine the last few days. Nothing new to report.
Sweet little jewel.

Would love to find a luggage rack or some way to carry throw over bags. Seems the turn signals are always in the way.
The smallish rear seat would hinder a decent size bag.

Ron in Tx
Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #88
jwrover
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
The wife's Black Dalia as she calls it! with new bags

Just finished installing a set of cases on the wifes new 2009 TU 250.
She loves this bike. Always gets off with a shit eating grin on her face. She uses it to commute to Boulder from Loveland (CO) apprx 25 miles one way. She's been getting 90 miles per gallon and needed a litle storage for rain pants, yoga clothes, purse that sort of stuff!

So i bought a set of these:
http://www.mutazu.com/index.html

They went on with only a minimum of "engineering" .

And the price has gotten even better than when i bought them! I paid $200. they are now listed at $115!

jwrover
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwrover/3763157784/
jwrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #89
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrover
Just finished installing a set of cases on the wifes new 2009 TU 250.

Nice.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #90
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,942
OK, after much searching for a bike to replace the Ninja 250, we now have one of these in the stable. We left Minneapolis Friday morning, bound for Watertown, SD. By late afternoon, Susan had a brand new bike.

We rode it home yesterday, taking it easy and just dawdling along the county roads. We switched off and she got her first chance to ride a motorcycle on the open road. She's had a scooter for three years now, and rarely rode the Ninjette.

You can't tell with the helmet on, but there's a HUGE grin under there!

More pics and a ride report to follow.
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote