Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Where to find parts? You could try those:

Noah's website

Motorcity

Yobokies

Ebay as usual

Ultimately, Ofrei

If you want some informations about the How To, take a look at the WUS forum.

I'd say don't change the dial but ask Bob Thayer to relume the markers and the hands for you.

Thanks. Yeah, I really liked the look and since it was cheap, I didn't hesitate.

Here's the Ebay Store where I bought it.

Sgtduster - Thanks a bunch for the links. I've bookmarked them for when I'm back in the states. It seems it'll cost about $100 to relume the dial and watch hands by Bob Thayer or I can just buy new hands and a dial for about $30 from Noahs website.

As you can see from this angle the chapter ring also has some damage from slamming the pavement.

Though typical Seiko quality it still rotates and clicks solidly. So maybe I should replace that as well as its a bit tough to read after the years of service.

Damn the crystal also may need attention. Poor watch. What saddens me is it'll probably cost me more to refurbish it than just buying a new one which defeats the great attribute of the Seiko that keeps running no matter what and they never need replacing.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #1592
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,848
Oh man, this thread has it all.

Glad I ordered the cheap Casio(5600-E).
My criteria was waterproofness and illumination plus price and toughness.

I don't know of a Japanese Quartz movement mated to a Tritium tube face with 100M waterproof rating so the Casio with 200M waterproofness is the cheapest dive watch out there.

My eyes are old and I have trouble reading the time with my glasses off so I hope I can read the Casio in the dark(and find the button), but I doubt I will be able to, so the Casio will ultimately languish.

I keep putting off buying this watch.

http://www.time4tritium.com/item.cfm?id=1064
It's what I really want.

Maybe if the digital thing doesnt work for me I will be forced to throw down the cash for Euro tech because the Japanese are sleeping and afraid of radiation(now really afraid).

Oh well,
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 10-05-2011 at 01:00 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 AM   #1593
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,665
I find this thread interesting because, and maybe it's a generational thing, but there is a clock on my bike and a clock on my cell phone.

Done and done.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #1594
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,135
I wear a watch to tell me the time but I have to admit I use them more for jewelry.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #1595
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid View Post
Then why are you reading this thread? When I need to know the time, I like to glance at my watch, not get my phone out of my pocket. Also, sometimes my phone has to be charged (It's dead right now). Sometimes I need to turn it off. Sometimes my hands are dirty. Sometimes, I choose not to carry a phone. I keep hearing that young people don't wear watches, but I keep seeing young people wearing watches.
Because it gives me something to do at work.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #1596
pons
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Reasonably priced? Maybe compared to high end watches.

Most of the watches discussed here have been under $200.
Original post was.............

"I currently own a Cartier Tank Chrono... cost of battery
change and gasket ( O Ring) replacement and basic service...$650. CAN.
I've owned Rolex & Panerai. I no longer want to carry the price
of a good scooter on my wrist.

Any and all suggestions for rough, waterproof, under $600 timepieces
welcome and appreciated. "

TAG makes a great watch, don't have to buy a new one. You can buy a nice TAG for under $600. .
pons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #1597
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
I find this thread interesting because, and maybe it's a generational thing, but there is a clock on my bike and a clock on my cell phone.

Done and done.

Sure, unless you like to swim, hike in the rain, go into installations where phones aren't allowed, don't mind bringing a charging system with you, you're good to go!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #1598
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
another rec for a seiko monster diving watch - basically indestructable, automatic, truly waterproof, with a stainless steel band that lasts forever (and doesn't smell)

I prefer the analog wathches to digital - they can be read in a brief glance by recognizing the hand positions without actually "focusing" on the watch

Pulling out your phone to tell the time is a pain in the ass
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #1599
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Yes, big loss for the Seiko maniac community. There're only few dedicated guys like this around.

Should say Jake's website now I guess. But anyway, it's still a great place to source parts.
Any idea where one could get parts (bezel inserts, crystal) for mid size Seiko divers such as the SBCM023. Bezel dimensions are 35/29mm . Thanks
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #1600
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post

Done and done.
I find this comment interesting coming from someone who rides something considered as a non-essential toy (instead of a real transportation tool) by a vast majority.

Dunno, maybe it's a generationnal thing.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #1601
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
I currently have a luminox. It IS pretty bright although not as bright as the casio with the backlight on. My issue with the Luminox is that the date is pretty hard for me to read close up. My eyes are getting older but I do not wear reading glasses yet. so the date is a bit of a struggle in low light.

steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Oh man, this thread has it all.

Glad I ordered the cheap Casio(5600-E).
My criteria was waterproofness and illumination plus price and toughness.

I don't know of a Japanese Quartz movement mated to a Tritium tube face with 100M waterproof rating so the Casio with 200M waterproofness is the cheapest dive watch out there.

My eyes are old and I have trouble reading the time with my glasses off so I hope I can read the Casio in the dark(and find the button), but I doubt I will be able to, so the Casio will ultimately languish.

I keep putting off buying this watch.

http://www.time4tritium.com/item.cfm?id=1064
It's what I really want.

Maybe if the digital thing doesnt work for me I will be forced to throw down the cash for Euro tech because the Japanese are sleeping and afraid of radiation(now really afraid).

Oh well,
bill
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #1602
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
I currently have a luminox. It IS pretty bright although not as bright as the casio with the backlight on. My issue with the Luminox is that the date is pretty hard for me to read close up. My eyes are getting older but I do not wear reading glasses yet. so the date is a bit of a struggle in low light.

steve
Don't worry about it......soon you'll have glasses.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #1603
Bevelhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
When my aging eyes started shopping for a tritium watch I looked at many brands. Luminox is obviously best-known. The Traser Classic looks like all trutiums do at night but is much easier to read in the daylight however. Bright white hands with a charcoal black dial.
Bevelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #1604
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Any idea where one could get parts (bezel inserts, crystal) for mid size Seiko divers such as the SBCM023. Bezel dimensions are 35/29mm . Thanks
please keep us up to date on whatever work you do on that watch. i bought mine because of your posts (here and on the watch forum).

i sand blasted my sbcm and it came out great. not sure why it had a shiny finish to start with. i'm still wearing my seiko "atlas" as a daily beater watch (4.5 years, and the battery hasn't run out), and i'm very happy with both watches.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #1605
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid View Post
Then why are you reading this thread? When I need to know the time, I like to glance at my watch, not get my phone out of my pocket. Also, sometimes my phone has to be charged (It's dead right now). Sometimes I need to turn it off. Sometimes my hands are dirty. Sometimes, I choose not to carry a phone. I keep hearing that young people don't wear watches, but I keep seeing young people wearing watches.
Amen. If I have my phone in my hand or I'm sat at my computer then I get the time that way, but if I'm not, it is so much easier to just glance at my watch.

A watch is also a fashion accessory that a phone will never be.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: