User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #1681
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,057
Just finished reading the whole thread. Lots of great stuff in here. I prefer mechanical things, and thus find watches like the G shock about as entertaining and inspiring as a blender.

For my first Automatic watch I picked up a nice, simple Seiko 5 (SNKL17) for $59 bucks:

It showed up Friday. Looks like it's losing about 10 seconds per day right now, but I won't worry about that because it's new. But I did find the one drawback. The lume dots are very small and don't light up very well. It'll be a great watch to wear to work, but I'll also want something a little better in the dark, and a little bit more robust in terms of water resistance. I'm considering the Seiko SNZE17:

I've found it as low as $100 new. 100m is fine for me - I'll never be a diver. The 40 mm size is great for my smaller wrists. It has a stainless bracelet, which again is perfect for me because leather and cloth bands always wind up stinking after a while. But I can't find a review about how well or how long the dial glows in the dark. Anyone have any experience with low end Seiko lume dials?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #1682
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool View Post
Skip the "reasonably priced", Santa brought me a new watch this weekend:

BTW, the guy insisted on handing over two other watches for this new one... had to let go of the ITA Casanova Sport and the Citizen Orca.
They make nice watches. Interesting style.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #1683
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I'm considering the Seiko SNZE17:

I've found it as low as $100 new. 100m is fine for me - I'll never be a diver. The 40 mm size is great for my smaller wrists. It has a stainless bracelet, which again is perfect for me because leather and cloth bands always wind up stinking after a while. But I can't find a review about how well or how long the dial glows in the dark. Anyone have any experience with low end Seiko lume dials?
I have a decade+ old Seiko quartz beater watch that has the whole face "lumed" like that. Not sure if it's the same technology, but the lume is very good. I think you'll be happy with it. Lume on Seiko's Monsters approach legendary but you may not like the size.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #1684
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
A month of nothing? Bump.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 AM   #1685
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
I have a decade+ old Seiko quartz beater watch that has the whole face "lumed" like that. Not sure if it's the same technology, but the lume is very good. I think you'll be happy with it. Lume on Seiko's Monsters approach legendary but you may not like the size.
So far this has been nearly a perfect watch. The lume dial is fantastic, at 40 mm the case size is nice, and it isn't too heavy. My only bitch was it was gaining 20 seconds a day out of the box. I regulated it to losing about 4 seconds a day. I may try to fine tune it just a bit more, but a tiny movement on the lever makes a huge difference. Hitting the sweet spot would likely be more luck than skill.

Regardless, the watch was a heck of a deal for 95 bucks.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #1686
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
So far this has been nearly a perfect watch. The lume dial is fantastic, at 40 mm the case size is nice, and it isn't too heavy. My only bitch was it was gaining 20 seconds a day out of the box. I regulated it to losing about 4 seconds a day. I may try to fine tune it just a bit more, but a tiny movement on the lever makes a huge difference. Hitting the sweet spot would likely be more luck than skill.

Regardless, the watch was a heck of a deal for 95 bucks.
Some recommend trying little tweaks like resting it on one side or another, or face down, or whatever works at night to have that be part of its "regulation." lose 4 during the day...gain it back at night...

I'm so bone tired at night, I'd never remember to do that. IMO, that's not regulating the watch...that's regulating yourself.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 02-17-2012 at 05:28 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #1687
lowes48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool View Post
Skip the "reasonably priced", Santa brought me a new watch this weekend:

I like the strap on that one! It suits the watch perfectly! Who is the maker?
lowes48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #1688
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Have you got a photo of your SBCM now as am interested in seeing what it looks like. Thanks
sorry for the delay sir. i think the sandblasting came out great, but i haven't been wearing the watch too much. i usually wear the seiko 5 atlas all the time because it's more banged up. plus i'm curious to see how much abuse it will take. march will be five years for that seiko 5, with the last two years including a ton of abuse.

urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #1689
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,724
i'm kinda hoping something happens to my seiko 5 so i can replace it with this one:

the SNZG15.

wish seiko would put that face on a dive watch. then i wouldn't hesitate to buy it. not that the difference between 100m and 200m WR matters that much to most of us, but i would like a timing bezel.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #1690
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowes48 View Post
I like the strap on that one! It suits the watch perfectly! Who is the maker?
Steinhart

German
Old 02-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #1691
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Can anyone suggest a good (and reliable) online source for "reasonably" priced watches? My Citizen Ecodrive didn't like being stored in darkness for 8 months and repairs are ridiculous cost
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #1692
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,423
I've never bought a Rolex Submariner that isn't worth more today than what I paid for it, so in that sense they've been the cheapest watches I've ever owned. Spend the money and get a watch that will be an heirloom.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #1693
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
Can anyone suggest a good (and reliable) online source for "reasonably" priced watches? My Citizen Ecodrive didn't like being stored in darkness for 8 months and repairs are ridiculous cost
The Recharge/reset procedure didn't work?

Old 02-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #1694
McGoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I have a Swatch Irony that I got from duty free in 2005. I paid $60 for it, I've spent $20 on batteries since then, and that thing hasn't missed a beat (aside from flat batteries). Best watch I ever bought. And if I lose it, I won't feel too bad about replacing it with another.
McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #1695
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Good old G-Shock here.
This is my third (yeah, how "bomb proof" can they be, yada, yada....). First one was a plastic case model that I gave away to a friends kid 6-7 years ago After wearing it for 3 years and it's still "ticking". The second was almost the same as the model pictured. I beat the hell out of it at work for its entire life and it just got so funky that it looked like a health hazard, so pitched it in the trash. Picked this one up over a year ago and stopped wearing watches at work. This one will last a while.
I never knew how much of an effort it was keeping a watch adjusted to the correct time with my level of OCD but this was a revelation. Solar and automatic adjust every night with the atomic clock in Co.
At $100-150 online, just can't be beat.
Oh, forgot to mention, they're on the large side. I was going to take a photo of it on my wrist but it wouldn't really give the correct impression with my Gorilla sized mitts.

I have the same watch and love it! Picked it up on ebay a few years ago for $50. It keeps great time too!
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: