Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #1711
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
if you really want an alarm, that should make the selection process much easier. you can probably rule out most analog dive watches. and probably all automatics.

if cheaper is better, and you like small watches, you can't do better than a timex ironman. i have a g-shock for water and gym use, but i hate the high profile. had a solar g-shock that died after 13 months (one year warranty of course). when this g-shock dies i'll replace it with an ironman.

thanks, didn't think of those. I kind of like this one. Didn't realize they're smaller than G-shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I agree, an alarm requirement puts any automatic out of the running (except for the riiiiiiduculously expensive ones that are out of the running for completely different reasons ). There'd be plenty of analog options...they'd probably feature a subdial or most likely three subdials (again, because of the alarm). Plenty of them would meet dive specs, albeit most without the 15/20min dive bezel. Tritium, by its very nature, would imply a preference towards something analog. Traser's got one or two that have tritium *and* alarm though none that I can think of have alarm, tritium, *and* solar/kinetic. The ani-digi options would probably suit your needs well.
Good points- I have to say that I am kind of spoiled by the atomic part of the Waveceptor, and the solar part- although there's a battery inside as far as I know. And yes, I like more an analog face.
I've seen few Trasers that I like, but they were in the $500 range, way above my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt View Post
I've been traveling more lately, and for the same money that I normally spend to have my fancy Swiss automatic Oris serviced (~$100) , I just bought another watch! I've been really happy with it - it's both solar and atomic, and not only atomic, but reads all the major signals around the world (5 of them). Best of all, I was really suprised at the size of this watch - I pictured all G-shocks to be massive. This one, while not tiny, is edgier, but about the same size as my Oris, and much lighter. I still enjoy my non-reasonably priced Oris, but for travel and work, this thing is great.

(I actually got it for "free" from Cabela's using rewards points, can't beat that!)
Is this the Classic version? Doesn't look big on your hand, have to go and try it on.
Is it possible to set for the weird half hour time zone of Newfoundland? I know I can't do this with my Wavecepor, which makes the atomic part kind of useless, I think.

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #1712
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
Is this the Classic version? Doesn't look big on your hand, have to go and try it on.
Is it possible to set for the weird half hour time zone of Newfoundland? I know I can't do this with my Wavecepor, which makes the atomic part kind of useless, I think.
Not sure about "classic", it's the AWG-100 (1a) and it wears much smaller than it's measurement (45mm at the largest point).

And this should make you happy, yes, it does have the weird time zone! I had to go look up the codes in the online manual, they don't make any sense - YYT = St John's ???

Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #1713
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,713
Those look (mostly) like airport codes. Some are a bit obscure, though.

WA.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #1714
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt View Post
Not sure about "classic", it's the AWG-100 (1a) and it wears much smaller than it's measurement (45mm at the largest point).

And this should make you happy, yes, it does have the weird time zone! I had to go look up the codes in the online manual, they don't make any sense - YYT = St John's ???
Great, thanks

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #1715
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
Anything new?
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #1716
Snow Monkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Those are airport codes. I know more then a few of them.

As for anything new, not so much new but my citizen ecodrive (bm8180-03e) managed to survive being frozen. It was left out over night in -30c temps without any harm (I took it off while cutting wood and forgot to put it back on).
Snow Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #1717
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
I am purchasing a ~$1500 Thomas Gref watch - very excited, better movement / components than most Rolexes, made in the USA...

http://www.thomasgref.com/

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #1718
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
I am purchasing a ~$1500 Thomas Gref watch - very excited, better movement / components than most Rolexes, made in the USA...

.....reasonably priced......?
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #1719
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 View Post
.....reasonably priced......?
Compared to anything comparable from any major manufacturer of similar quality - a genuine super heavy duty diving watch -- definitely...

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #1720
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,675
Quote:

On what basis do you think it's better than a Rolex? Sure Thomas wooed you with a nice article explained how rhodium is expensive, but it's still an ETA movement. Rolex may get some of it's current fame by being the "it" name, but they got there from a long history of using the most advanced materials in their movements.

You may want to post that up in the more outrageously priced watch thread, here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=18472245
Old 04-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #1721
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:
Compared to anything comparable from any major manufacturer of similar quality - a genuine super heavy duty diving watch -- definitely...
It looks like he's worked hard to take down the ebauche and decorate the movement, which is one thing that the big boys do when they leverage an ETA movement. He hasn't done anything to modify the movement though. It's straight up ETA 2824-2 / 7750, gilded a little. Whether it's decorated or not has no appeal to me. Looking at his work, imo he needs a more refined set of tools to do the finishing work. It looks a tad rough. ...or maybe he needs a better photographer. Who am I to say, I don't give a rat's ass about finishing, and anybody can be a critic. Personally, speaking, I think the 2824-2 is pretty top notch...It's a good engine; easily capable of COSC regulation. For a one man show, he's done the right things.

Personally, though, I'd go for a Ball, if I wanted a watch made in the states. IIRC they were one of the few that could make the claim...them & Kobold. To me, Ball is as close to bomb proof & reasonably priced as automatics come.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 06:56 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #1722
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,198
Love some of the Ball watches, particularly this one:

http://www.ballwatchusa.com/collecti...nballL1JWH.asp

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #1723
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
+1

when I wore watches (before I had a cellphone), it lasted at least 5 years of teenage torture and a few months riding on my bmx bikes handlebars, which lived wherever I left it in the yard.
+ 2 on the Timex Expedition. I love my $28 Expedition. I put a black rubber strap on it and never worry about banging it up. I want to get the Citizen Eco Drive watch. Looks like the Expedition, but a little nicer and no batteries to worry about. Still a very reasonable $87.

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 10:00 AM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #1724
maalstroom
Ferret Legger

Oddometer: 458
Dynamite time . com have the 37mm Seiko Military autos on sale. Mine has been a great watch, the 7s26 movement is reliable and accurate.

Yes, I know it has been mentioned here already.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #1725
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
+ 2 on the Timex Expedition. I love my $28 Expedition. I put a black rubber strap on it and never worry about banging it up. I want to get the Citizen Eco Drive watch. Looks like the Expedition, but a little nicer and no batteries to worry about. Still a very reasonable $87.

"The" Citizen Eco-Drive watch is a bit misleading. I have one of those, and one of these

as well as five or six other Eco-Drive watches.

Today, though, I'm wearing this Seiko SKX173.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: