Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #1756
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
If that had a compass it would be perfect.
Have the compasses gotten any more sophisticated lately? Years ago, I had a couple compass watches, and they all were *highly* dependent a nearly impossible degree of level-ness to give you any sort of accuracy beyond +/- 45 deg. The temp sways with body temp...the altimeter sways with the weather. It was all sort of giving me "a general idea..."

I'm on my sixth year experimenting with quartz accuracy w/o radio synch. Have not touched the settings on my solar watch in all that time, and it's never been off by more than 30 seconds. Somewhere along the line, I decided radio synch was not on my top 10 list of features.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #1757
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
It might not do exactly what you want but if you understand how the sensors work it is quite useful.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #1758
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,823
Timex E compass.
I've been wearing one of these for a couple of years now, I like it alot.
The compass requires calibrating when you haven't used it for a while, calibrating simply means turning it into calibrate mode and turning it slowly 360' twice. I dont know how acurate the compass is but at night it does point almost directly at the north star, which is how I verify it is working correctly. I paid $50 (new) off Ebay. The compass does not work well in a car.

Triva.... I bought this watch because one day a years ago I was lost on my bike way back on some dirt roads on a heavily overcast day and my GPS batteries were dead and for the life of me I could not figure out which way was north!
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #1759
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I still have and wear both my Seiko titanium samurai and my Citizen Aqualand Duplex. The Citizen is quartz, and I put a battery in it every 3 years or so....and the Seiko keeps great time. Both my watches get worn 24/7...whichever one I'm wearing at the time. The only time I ever take one off is to swap them out. After hours and hours in salt water, chlorinated water, etc, the titanium cases look great.

I did buy a cheap Casio to wear while riding my dirtbike, because I was afraid of damaging my other two, but I never wear the Casio.
BHW,
Are you riding your dirtbike with your automatic watches. I knocked the hands off the last anolog watch I went dual sporting with. Switched to the Casio 5600 and no further problems.

Please understand, watches are just tools to me.
So far I have destroyed every watch that came my way since I was fourteen, I am sixty eight now. I nursed(RN) with a Swiss Army red rim which lasted 20 years and is still keeping good time but I never wore it on my wrist when riding my motorcycles since I used it when I worked on people. I wrecked a couple of other watches that I tried to ride with, even a pocket watch(I washed it.)

I had a Suunto Vector on the bars for South America and it made the trip but blew up in Mongolia on another trip. It is a large watch and a good one because of the various functions. It's still my bar watch , I had it repaired by Suunto.

The Casio G-Shock is just a wrist watch and a timer(my ears are too shot to hear the alarm). I have beat the shit out of it trying to break it. No luck so far.
I haven't even managed to scratch the crystal.

Recently I wrecked out an old RV and did hours with a saws-all, burnt up a couple of blades. The Casio never flinched.

As for a dive watch, every test I've read says the Casio is good to 200 meters.
I have other watches that are nicer but I just don't trust then to take motorcycle riding abuse.
Finally, I burn wood so splitting wood is another daily hell for what's on my wrist.

Do you have any links to shock testing for the Seiko divers?
Can you speak for their accuracy when stressed.

I'm not sure I would call $200usd reasonable unless a Seiko will run 20 years without service and hold their accuracy. 'Bombproof' means unbreakable. Also you could also argue that the looks are old school in a digital age unless you need to count your pulse. The divers are crude for an elapsed timer.

Just trying to keep this pure.
You can't ride a motorcycle underwater.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 08:29 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #1760
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100 View Post
Timex E compass.
I've been wearing one of these for a couple of years now, I like it alot.
The compass requires calibrating when you haven't used it for a while, calibrating simply means turning it into calibrate mode and turning it slowly 360' twice. I dont know how acurate the compass is but at night it does point almost directly at the north star, which is how I verify it is working correctly. I paid $50 (new) off Ebay. The compass does not work well in a car.

Triva.... I bought this watch because one day a years ago I was lost on my bike way back on some dirt roads on a heavily overcast day and my GPS batteries were dead and for the life of me I could not figure out which way was north!
There's actually some pretty basic tests to see whether your watch is tilt compensated. It's just a question of whether they sprung for the tilt-compensated compass module or one of the cheaper un-compensated modules. The error incurred by tilt is predictable, so some modules have the algorithm built in. Without it, you should see something on the order of 6deg deviation for each degree of tilt. And, of course, someone could do a teardown on a donor watch.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #1761
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,167
Heading to Bagram for 6 months and would like to have a bomb proof reasonably priced watch. Specifically an analog (quartz or auto) GMT for less than a grand. The second time zone must be analog- no digital second time zone.

Anyone know of such a watch?
Old 03-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #1762
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
A quick search came up with this Seiko for $280.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #1763
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,136
Here's another Seiko. It has a 10 year battery and the 8F56 movement which is rated at +/- 20 sec/ year. I can't speak to its bomb-proofness, though. It's also a perpetual calendar so you won't have to adjust the date at the end of a short month. You adjust for time zone changes by pulling the crown to the first click and setting the hour hand ahead or back. One click per hour.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #1764
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,477
Latest bombproof, my new everything under the sun watch.

Atomic, solar, temp, compass, baro, altimeter, moon, tide, etc...

I 'm not a huge fan of the rubber straps though, so put a NATO on it for day to day wear.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #1765
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
Seiko Kinetic FS

Seiko Kinetic Diver for sale:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870592
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #1766
HighAlpineDrifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 24,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post
Heading to Bagram for 6 months and would like to have a bomb proof reasonably priced watch. Specifically an analog (quartz or auto) GMT for less than a grand. The second time zone must be analog- no digital second time zone.

Steinhart.
A few nice GMT/dual time diver's watches ( I just received the Triton 100 ATM)

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch.html

Once aviation watch

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/aviation.html
Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #1767
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
BHW,
Are you riding your dirtbike with your automatic watches. I knocked the hands off the last anolog watch I went dual sporting with. Switched to the Casio 5600 and no further problems.

I'm not sure I would call $200usd reasonable unless a Seiko will run 20 years without service and hold their accuracy. 'Bombproof' means unbreakable. Also you could also argue that the looks are old school in a digital age unless you need to count your pulse. The divers are crude for an elapsed timer.

Just trying to keep this pure.
You can't ride a motorcycle underwater.

bill

I wear my watches all the time. Whichever one is on my wrist, gets ridden on the bike, etc. Occasionally I'll be doing something high impact, and will take my watch off. And I did buy the Casio to wear when riding, but I always forget to switch them out. But my Seiko Samurai auto has been ticking steadily for over 8 years. I did drop and break my Citizen crystal one day, a few years ago. I had just put on a new band, and was taking a shower when it fell off. It hit the tile face down and shattered. At that point it was still 10 years old and working fine. But I sent it in to a Citizen service center and paid for a whole new mechanism. The only thing original is the titanium case! And I'm sure the original would still be running if I hadn't broken it. I gladly paid to have it repaired, I couldn't see giving up on a perfectly good 10 year old watch! So, accurately, the Citizen wasn't bomb proof. But for a watch I paid around $300 for back in the mid 90s, I'm satisfied. My Seiko has a sapphire crystal, and still look great after several years of wear.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #1768
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I wear my watches all the time.
Seriously, I wear my watch more often than I wear underwear. A watch that doesn't stay together through a long length of washboard roads...not useful to me. That being said, I have never had problems with any of my watches falling apart from vibration. Modes of failure historically have only ever included fracturing LCD crystals (quartz digital), and water ingress (quartz digital, and automatic), human error (fubarring the threads on a twist-down crown, and messing up the works on a hack) and on a particularly cheap watch, the brand decoration fell off, and rattled around under the crystal for like a year until it knocked off a hand. Most concerning to me is water ingress and human error. Arguably, all scenarios of water ingress was because of human error as well, since if it wasn't sealed properly, it was my fault, not having prepped the sealing surface adequately. So personally, my absolute all time favorite watch for every-day wear is a Citizen solar anidigi.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #1769
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post

I'd go for this one and bank $700.

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BJ7065.../dp/B004JK8F2C
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #1770
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,803
Water ingress?

Casio g-shock

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...ide-57302.html

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: