User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #241
Slappy McGee
Fatty Fat

Oddometer: 593
I love the Japan market Seikos, and believe the Orange Samari was already mentioned. Don't knock Seiko, while they're lower tier in the US they do have quite a few >$10,000 timepieces that are superior to Rolex. They are also one of the few that do their own in-house movements.

I put a NATO nylon band on mine and frequently use it when travelling or adventuring. The Ti is nice and light, my only complaint is it's a bit big with gloves. For something small, reliable, automatic and essentially disposable, I have this Seiko military-style watch:

You can find non-us market versions for a whopping $40 on fleabay. Mine shows the days of the week in English and Arabic. It's water resistant to 100 meters, shows date and day of week, is nice and thin and automatic so no batteries. Not uber classy but great for moto travel and trips to countries where something flashy might get you into trouble. The band is a bit weak but I've been meaning to replace it with a NATO band. I've had one on my wrist for thousands of moto camping miles with nary a hiccup.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #242
Strog
Geek on two wheels

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris
It seems that every half way decent watch (under $200.00) died some time after the battery was replaced. It seems that I can't find a professional to seal the thing up right, moisture gets in and rusts from within.

I bought a Citizen Eco Drive :

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Engl...ber=BN0000-04H

for under $150.00 several years ago. It keeps time, has taken some good beatings, looks pretty decent and will never need to be opened to replace a battery because it is powered by daylight.
I bought my wife an Eco Drive watch for Christmas. She put her old watch through the washer after the battery was replaced. I'm wondering if it would have made if it was sealed better since it was supposed to be water resistant.

I went through 3 Iron Man watches over several years. They were decent watches but scratched up easily, plastic band broke and buttons eventually stopped working. I used to keep an old one on my TW200 handlebars so I'd remember to come home eventually (crazy teenagers ).

I've been really happy with my Seiko Kinetic Windward. It's kept really accurate time and looks great without being over the top for day to day use. I got a good deal on mine and it's probably about my threshold (at least for now) for spending on a watch.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #243
jorge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
you beat me to the pics... i just pressed out the pins in the direction of the arrow on the band with a dental pic i have in the tool box... did not take much to get it out and back in the way it came out even had a positive click going back in...

i do concur the cyclops was a surprise and then to know its glues on is a bummer but i am leaving it for now mainly with my luck it will pop right off and leave a horrible glue residue on the crystal...

on my way to look for a that army style seiko automatic... the wife was proud of me for getting a good deal... i really like the 4 oclock position of the knob...
XR 650 '97
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #244
lowflyer
Doubleplusgood

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn
Low flyer, I am considering both of those watches. What do you think of them, quality wise? I have read that a lot of people hate the canvas band on the citizen, what is your opinion?

Thanks.
The Invicta is the nicest watch I have ever owned. I've never been a watch guy. I have only ever worn Casio G-Shocks for the most part. My first impression is that these watches offer significant value for the price given the quality look and feel. It comes in a fancy box with a nice cradle and soft cloth to boot. I haven't had enough time with it to see how well it functions, but I really dig the automatic movement. I have read that it will be fast to start with and then become more accurate over time. If you are not a watch guy with Rolexes and Omegas, etc..., but you think those are cool yet idiotic at the same time, then you will be very happy with an Invicta.

The Eco-Drive Citizen is just a nice everyday watch. I like that it requires no batteries and no winding. The canvas band is okay, but I find it a bit smallish on my 7.5" wrist. I am using the second to last hole. The nice thing about this style of watch is that it transforms nicely from casual to fancy with the swap of a band.

Bottom line is that I would recommend either of these. You can't go wrong for the price. I paid $104 for the Invicta and $80 or so for the Citizen on Amazon.

lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #245
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
This is a Seiko that I bought on April 1983 - the day after I graduated from US Army Ranger School. I intended to replace the metal band with a rubber one from the day I bought it. Generally used one of the issue field watches most of the time instead.

Had the works replaced a few years ago, and should have had the face replaced at the same time, since it's no longer luminous. Periodically I look for a modern replacement, although I'll always keep this for nostalgic reasons.

garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #246
worgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Has anyone tried the 511 watches? a frend of mine just got one and they look pretty cool.
http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...00:10900:10903

worgoose screwed with this post 01-10-2009 at 08:37 AM
worgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #247
lowflyer
Doubleplusgood

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose@yahoo.com
Has anyone tried the 511 watches? a frend of mine just got one and they look pretty cool.
http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...00:10900:10903
I'm not sure about those. 5.11 is not well-known to me as a watch manufacturer. I generally tend to avoid buying re-badged stuff like that unless the re-badged item was manufactured by one of the known brands.

lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #248
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy McGee
//For something small, reliable, automatic and essentially disposable, I have this Seiko military-style watch:

You can find non-us market versions for a whopping $40 on fleabay. Mine shows the days of the week in English and Arabic. It's water resistant to 100 meters, shows date and day of week, is nice and thin and automatic so no batteries. Not uber classy but great for moto travel and trips to countries where something flashy might get you into trouble. The band is a bit weak but I've been meaning to replace it with a NATO band. I've had one on my wrist for thousands of moto camping miles with nary a hiccup.
It doesn't seem like any are for sale there?
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #249
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatBob
Awright, you guys, you have me, who hasn't worn anything but digital Timex for 20+ years, looking at watches. If I jump, probably a Seiko 5 to start with.
Well, I did it. A couple of times. I bought a Seiko 5 from a seller in Singapore on eBay,

I also bought this Nautica from an Amazon seller. Dunno much about that brand, but for $60, it's not a biggie.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #250
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
Here's one: It's the same as the one I just bought, but a different seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3AIT&viewitem=

$80 shipped.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

Old 01-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #251
Slappy McGee
Fatty Fat

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
I don't know what's going on with fleabay but they don't seem to have as much stuff as they used to. Try googling around as I've come across websites that sell the int'l market Seikos from time to time. Can't remember any of them off the top of my head, but there are a good 5-10 different variations on this watch. I really like having the day of the week and date. On a long trip I tend to forget which day of the week it is!
Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #252
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy McGee
I don't know what's going on with fleabay but they don't seem to have as much stuff as they used to. Try googling around as I've come across websites that sell the int'l market Seikos from time to time. Can't remember any of them off the top of my head, but there are a good 5-10 different variations on this watch. I really like having the day of the week and date. On a long trip I tend to forget which day of the week it is!
I just searched for Seiko 5 and got 889 results. Searched for Seiko military and got 115 hits. Over 8400 on a search for Seiko, 4347 for Men's. What are you guys looking for anyway?

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

Old 01-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #253
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,743
my collection

my seiko 5 diver. i highy recommend the seiko 5's. relatively cheap. look decent. comfortable. no maintenance: people wear these for 20 years and then throw them out. with a swiss (ETA) movement expect to do maintenance every 3-5 years.

and here is my new work watch. hamilton khaki 3. quartz. although i like auto watches, i didn't want to have to reset this one after trips and weekends. i usually leave it at work. replaced the cheesy leather strap with a $9 military strap (made by maratac, purchased from broadarrow.net

this shot is neat. you can see the second hand jump.

the military strap:

urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #254
DirtRiderwjc2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori
Here's something new and fresh and available for around $500.
Some of the feeling of Bell & Ross without the B&R price.
Check it out.

http://www.tsovet.com/
These look great but not automatic, does anyone have experience with Oris watches?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #255
Terrytori OP
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRiderwjc2000
These look great but not automatic, does anyone have experience with Oris watches?
Actually i do.
I bought one for a friend, for his birthday about a dozen years
ago. It's still ticking away on his wrist having not skipped a beat.
It was an automatic. I wish i could tell you the particular type
but i can not recall it. It has a skeletal back.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: