Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #31
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee
WTF is wrong with a Timex? Tells time within a few seconds per week, uses cheap batteries available everywhere, and costs less than a night at the pub.

Nobody is going to mug you for your Timex. Break it? Oh well!

And, yeah, I have expensive watches. They sit at home.

I wear a Timex. They take a licking...
I have an Ironman that I've hammered for about 20 years. Keeps good time, never breaks. I like a nice watch, but you can't beat these things day to day.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #32
mzjones
GratefulNow

Oddometer: 90
Can't break it with a brick...

'08 BMW R1200GSA
'07 BMW G650 XCountry (sold - I can't believe I did that)
'03 YAM TTR250 (beater)
mzjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:29 AM   #33
B dub'ya
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
I have a Timex Expedition that I've used for 2-3 years now for backpacking, m/c touring. I got it on sale for $30.
I bought two of these in the course of a month. Came home from work one day shortly after buying the first one, and found the winding stem was missing. Oh well, cheap enough to replace with a new one . About a week later, same thing. Winding stem fell out of the second one.

Bought a Swiss Army for $140.

Should have done that to start with.
B dub'ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:55 AM   #34
rcompton
I am not Iron Man

Oddometer: 2,519
I have been beating the crap out of a couple Citizen eco-drive chronos for a few years. Both are the sailhawk model, but they make several others. The first was a stainless band, and when I saw a titanium model on sale with a different face I jumped on it. No batteries, mineral crystal (my main problem with timex/casio, etc... was the crystal getting scratched all to hell) and the titanium is pretty light as well. Lots of features, but mostly a solid, bomber watch that can be had fairly cheap, and won't have to be replaced annually.

Kurt Vonnegut
rcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #35
Terrytori OP
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjones
Luminox is topping my list.
I hear you can just about read by them @ night.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #36
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,717
What can a $600 watch do that a $50 watch can't? I agree there are some really fancy watches out there, but it surprises me when people talk about spending many hundreds or even thousands on a watch on an "adventure" watch.

I've got a cheapo Casio watch I bought in 2003 while in Costa Rica. It's been all over the world with me. Freezing temps and awful heat. It's been in swimming pools and rivers and lakes. I've worn it in the desert and it's been buried in sand. It's been banged against concrete and rocks and it was attached to the handlebars of my motorcycle for a few weeks during a ride. It still has the same battery and band as when I bought it.

If I lose it or break it, I'll can get another one for $40.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #37
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,855
It seems that every half way decent watch (under $200.00) died some time after the battery was replaced. It seems that I can't find a professional to seal the thing up right, moisture gets in and rusts from within.

I bought a Citizen Eco Drive :

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Engl...ber=BN0000-04H

for under $150.00 several years ago. It keeps time, has taken some good beatings, looks pretty decent and will never need to be opened to replace a battery because it is powered by daylight.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #38
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
+1 on the automatic Seiko Diver. That's the watch I wear on motorcycle tours -- it's virtually indestructible, never needs batteries, looks good, and the hands are luminous enough to read in the tent in the middle of the night when I wake up and want to know how much longer before dawn.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #39
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori
Luminox is topping my list.
I hear you can just about read by them @ night.
Love mine, it replaced my stolen TAG which I also LOVED.

And yes, you can just about read by them at night, even if you just pulled it out of a drawer after a year.

I wrecked on my skateboard while being pulled by my dog, watch got SLAMMED on asphault and it is fine.

Mine:

http://luminox.800rpm.com/index.php?...ries/3100/3102
Old 12-16-2008, 07:29 AM   #40
Chi-Ha
soft-handed crime fighter

Oddometer: 124
It makes no sense to me how a Breitling, or Rolex, or Tag, or any other $$$$ watch ever gets to the point where you can say "it's darn near indestructable". How do you wear one of these for riding/wrenching on a bike? To me, my "dress watch" (a $200 Seiko my wife gave me for Christmas years ago) only goes to the office and out to dinner.

Quite Simply, for ALL OTHER ACTIVITIESthere is no need to wear anything other than a G-Shock or a Timex. They will do anything you need and do it well. Last year I retired a G-Shock i bought in '91 and the originalbattery just died. ( I could also see a Swiss Army Watch as well.)

Why risk your Thousand dollar "time piece" when doing hands on labor?
Chi-Ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #41
klavdy
Truth Is Eternal

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
What can a $600 watch do that a $50 watch can't? I agree there are some really fancy watches out there, but it surprises me when people talk about spending many hundreds or even thousands on a watch on an "adventure" watch.

I've got a cheapo Casio watch I bought in 2003 while in Costa Rica. It's been all over the world with me. Freezing temps and awful heat. It's been in swimming pools and rivers and lakes. I've worn it in the desert and it's been buried in sand. It's been banged against concrete and rocks and it was attached to the handlebars of my motorcycle for a few weeks during a ride. It still has the same battery and band as when I bought it.

If I lose it or break it, I'll can get another one for $40.

Jamie
Make you look like you don't ride a KLR.

The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the govt is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.
klavdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #42
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Ha
It makes no sense to me how a Breitling, or Rolex, or Tag, or any other $$$$ watch ever gets to the point where you can say "it's darn near indestructable". How do you wear one of these for riding/wrenching on a bike? To me, my "dress watch" (a $200 Seiko my wife gave me for Christmas years ago) only goes to the office and out to dinner.

Quite Simply, for ALL OTHER ACTIVITIESthere is no need to wear anything other than a G-Shock or a Timex. They will do anything you need and do it well. Last year I retired a G-Shock i bought in '91 and the originalbattery just died. ( I could also see a Swiss Army Watch as well.)

Why risk your Thousand dollar "time piece" when doing hands on labor?
I used to never take my TAG off.
It was in a car trunk while I was taking an Aikido class where I had to take the watch off and I forgot to remove it at home. The car got stolen and the watch and things went with.

I tend not to wear a watch when riding now and I take my watch off when working on the bike, but I do it so that I don't scratch the bike, not to protect the watch.

A quality watch will take the licking and just show character, not get ratty looking.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #43
Wombat_XJ
n00b

Oddometer: 3
+1 on the Luminox.

I have had one for about 10 years. When new they glow like Chernobyl. It is a bit dimmer now (half-life of Tritium is about 10 years I think), but still quite readable even in dim light. Tough as a brick and as reliable as one as well. I use it when I am working in the yard, on cars, motorcycles, etc., anywhere it might get scraped, banged or smashed. And Luminox has quite a few styles, so you should be able to find one that works for you.

My Hamilton King Khaki is my daily watch, a good reliable watch as well.
Wombat_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #44
ManitouMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
ManitouMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #45
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
I just picked up one for $12 at Walmart BUT I have to be honest, this post has me looking at several watches between the $40 - $200 just because I like them.

I have a nice Seiko kinetic that is banged up and I need to get the top replaced, good time to add a nice watch or two and only wear this one when I dress up at work

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: