Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #46
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Ha
It makes no sense to me how a Breitling, or Rolex, or Tag, or any other $$$$ watch ever gets to the point where you can say "it's darn near indestructable". How do you wear one of these for riding/wrenching on a bike? To me, my "dress watch" (a $200 Seiko my wife gave me for Christmas years ago) only goes to the office and out to dinner.

Quite Simply, for ALL OTHER ACTIVITIESthere is no need to wear anything other than a G-Shock or a Timex. They will do anything you need and do it well. Last year I retired a G-Shock i bought in '91 and the originalbattery just died. ( I could also see a Swiss Army Watch as well.)

Why risk your Thousand dollar "time piece" when doing hands on labor?
I wear my Tag all day, everyday. Wether camping, fishing, wrenching or going out for dinner.
I agree that I do not need a $900 watch for this but it's not always about what we need.
We could all get by with cheap beater bikes for 99% of our riding but we choose to pay more for the one we really want...
Most men, including me, don't wear jewlery except for their wedding ring and their watch. I enjoy having a nice watch, is it vain? Maybe but that's the only luxury I ever allowed myself so I can leave with it.
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #47
Big Lee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpo83
I have just bought one of these for riding,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seiko-Mens-Kinetic-Monster-Scuba-Watch-200M-SKA369_W0QQitemZ190273812654QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_ Watches?hash=item190273812654&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Bomb proof and zero maintenance, i was starting to worry about my Automatics, i don't like batteries, so this seemed ideal.
Got one of those, mine has a yellow face and black bezel. It`s too big to wear under leathers but seeing as it was works issue I can`t complain
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #48
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee
Got one of those, mine has a yellow face and black bezel. It`s too big to wear under leathers but seeing as it was works issue I can`t complain
What does the push button do?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #49
Big Lee
Gnarly Adventurer

When you press it and the second hand sweeps a full 30 secs you`ve got full charge, if it won`t go that far you need to wiggle it for a while till it charges up what you do while you do it is up to you

Big Lee screwed with this post 12-16-2008 at 11:02 AM
Old 12-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #50
Chi-Ha
soft-handed crime fighter

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale
I wear my Tag all day, everyday. Wether camping, fishing, wrenching or going out for dinner.
I agree that I do not need a $900 watch for this but it's not always about what we need.
We could all get by with cheap beater bikes for 99% of our riding but we choose to pay more for the one we really want...
Most men, including me, don't wear jewlery except for their wedding ring and their watch. I enjoy having a nice watch, is it vain? Maybe but that's the only luxury I ever allowed myself so I can leave with it.
'sheesh',....when you put it that way, I really sound like an ass
Good point.
Chi-Ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #51
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Agreed... and in my case, I also have a deep appreciation for mechanical watches because they're such intricate, tiny machines that accomplish their task through the potential energy stored in a spring -- no batteries/electronics required. In this age of digitally-controlled coffeemakers, mechanical watches are the ultimate old-school, throwback technology that nevertheless remains highly effective in the modern world. But due to the greater complexity involved, decent mechanical watches can't be produced for the incredibly cheap prices that quartz watches can. And fine examples of the art (which I can't afford, unfortunately) show a truly stunning level of craftsmanship that's unfortunately all too rare these days.

That said, I do try not to beat up my watches. When working on the bike, I usually take my watch off.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014

markbvt screwed with this post 12-16-2008 at 11:21 AM
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #52
Big Lee
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don`t even wear my wedding ring all the time. I`ve seen too many pics of fingers stripped of flesh when a wedding ring got caught
Old 12-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #53
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Ha
'sheesh',....when you put it that way, I really sound like an ass
Good point.
Not at all, my wife actually had to buy me the watch for my 30th birthday. I would have never spent that much money on myself...

dbarale screwed with this post 12-16-2008 at 11:35 AM
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #54
ccherry
carter

Oddometer: 268
watches

currently wear a Hamilton Kahki automatic, about 6 years now with no issues. also had good luck with a Seiko, still have it and still works fine after 20+ years. my gripe with the timex's is that some of them have the light button in a bad place so if you move your hands around a lot you can activate the light and kill the battery............btw - Hamilton is an old American brand out of Lancaster PA that is now part of the Swatch group I believe.......Swiss movement at American prices..........
ccherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #55
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,658
Big Luminox fan here, too. I've had two, both of them the resin-cased models. My first, I gave to a buddy when he headed out to Kwajalein. He wrecked on his bicycle one night [the only mode of transportation on the island], and shattered the crystal. I wouldn't really mark that one up against the wristwatch, though. I like my second one, which is the EVO Colormark #3051:

Yes, it's bright.

But, to help narrow choices down, make a checklist:

1) Do I want a bracelet, or a strap?

2) Do I want digital, or analog?

3) Do I need any features? Day/Date? Chronograph?

4) Do I want an automatic, or quartz? [Your price point will probably put most autos out of reach...]

5) Do I want a resin case, or stainless steel? Or titanium?

If I were going for a do-it-all, all-in-one, tough-SOB wristwatch, I would look at some of Citizen's Ecos and Casio's Solars. Never have to crack the case for battery changes. If you can find a tough "solar"-powered AND radio-controlled [WWVB time signal decoding], then you never have to set the thing, either!

WA.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #56
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
My sentiments exactly.

I rarely take my watch off. The only time I've taken it off while wrenching was when I was afraid I'd scratch the bike with it.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #57
Garth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
ok...so I admit I know nothing...But I always wanted an altimeter on a watch...do they make a Good quality watch with one? Garth
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #58
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
This is the PERFECT ADV watch...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOzSbWWzjz4

Tissot T-Touch
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #59
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth
ok...so I admit I know nothing...But I always wanted an altimeter on a watch...do they make a Good quality watch with one? Garth

There are a number of 'em. Look for Suunto, Casio Pathfinder, Highgear, and Tissot T-Touch.

The Casio Pathfinder line includes several models that combine temperature, altimeter, and barometer functions with atomic timekeeping and solar charging. So pretty much you never have to crack the case, or set the thing. Oh, yeah, and they tell time, too!

Casio's altimeter function has been known in the past to be somewhat "looser" than, say, a Suunto or a Highgear.

WA.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #60
GPS_Jon
The Global Pucker

Oddometer: 229
I've trashed 3 Tags. I'm tired of loosing money. The F1 (cheapest) held up the best and still works after 25 years of diving. I have two dead 1000's. Plenty of repaired flooding. I also have a Carrera that works fine but just sits in the box. I think the best tags were made 20+ years ago.

I am now wearing a Suunto Core every day, every were but diving. On the road the barometric pressure charting really shines for weather forcasting. $200 for basic case styles. I like this watch a lot and the battery is user replaceable.
http://www.suunto.com/suunto/Worlds/...=1229466881719

Best

-

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: