User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #76
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,517
You need a heavy watch so that you can keep your pimp hand strong.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #77
justJeff
Banned

Oddometer: 2,667
Traser watches are pretty suitable day to day and adventure ridng watches. They're made by the company that provides the illumination system for Luminox watches.
justJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #78
pdx2wheel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
I'm hard on watches but my 5-year-old (at least) Timex Expedition (digital) just takes it in stride. Still on the same battery and I use it as an alarm clock everyday. Still soak in the hot tub with it, too. I like the dual time zones and countdown timer, plus Indiglo lighting. Hard to go wrong, especially when you find them on sale.
I guess I'm even harder on watches.

The Expedition has a cheap, unreplaceable band. Mine broke on one side near the body of the watch, and the corner hangs out and snags. Not worth the money. Too bad, I liked the concept of the watch (its features). Timex has never been good for me though.... too many have had to go back for repairs.

My $65 Casio G-Shock has been going strong for nearly 10 years (and parts can be easily obtained).
pdx2wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #79
ad0351
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I've had two seiko divers, my 25 y/o one went south on me after diving, ther other was stolen. Other regularly used watches are Swiss Army and G Shock, neither of which I like as much as the seikos. I am looking for a rugged, diver type watch but I'll wait to see whats under the Christmas tree before I buy one myself.
ad0351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #80
lc8john
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Go for a G-shock....
you can get them real cheap in ebay...
Old 12-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #81
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
I have a Timex Expedition that I've used for 2-3 years now for backpacking, m/c touring. I got it on sale for $30.
+1

$29 and in 5 years all I have done is change the battery twice.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #82
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 795
Ok, so I have a question for you watch connoisseurs. I am in the market for a watch, but I am kind of particular. I need an analog watch, preferably with a rubber band. I really, REALLY like the looks of this watch, but at $1500, it is well out of my price range.

Can anyone recommend a watch that looks similar, but is closer to the $150-$200 range?

A caveat...I can't wear a really thick watch. It bothers me how dress shirts get caught a watch that is too thick, so I am not looking for something that is enormously big. However, I would still like a pretty tough, ADV worth watch.

Thanks.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #83
justJeff
Banned

Take a look at a Seiko SKXA35 auto dive watch.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #84
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn
Ok, so I have a question for you watch connoisseurs. I am in the market for a watch, but I am kind of particular. I need an analog watch, preferably with a rubber band. I really, REALLY like the looks of this watch, but at $1500, it is well out of my price range.

Can anyone recommend a watch that looks similar, but is closer to the $150-$200 range?
I agree with justJeff on the Seiko -- take a look at their entire line of dive watches, actually. chronograph.com is a good source for Seikos that includes the many models that aren't available at US Seiko dealers.

Also take a look at Hamilton's Khaki line.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #85
justJeff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
I agree with justJeff on the Seiko -- take a look at their entire line of dive watches, actually. chronograph.com is a good source for Seikos that includes the many models that aren't available at US Seiko dealers.

Also take a look at Hamilton's Khaki line.

--mark
Right now amazon.com has the SKXA35 on sale for $147 with free shipping. It's the yellow faced version that normally sells at a bit of a premium over the black face. Amazon has the black face for $199 still, so the yellow is just a screaming deal. It has the urethane strap, which is highly regarded, but you can put on a variety of other staps/bands.

It was such a screaming deal I ordered one myself. The free shipping is 5-9 biz days as it didn't qualify for their free overnight shipping. I paid the extra $9 to have it here by Monday. Pretty good deal.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #86
Chi-Ha
soft-handed crime fighter

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx2wheel

My $65 Casio G-Shock has been going strong for nearly 10 years (and parts can be easily obtained).
The beauty of G-Shock is you can by a band for it anywhere and it takes 2minutes to replace it. my last G-Shock is now wrapped around the M.C. of the clutch so I have a perm. "clock" when riding.

However, all this talk has awakened a long dormant desire for a cool dive-watch. I'm looking at the Seikos.....
Chi-Ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #87
justJeff
Banned

Chi-Ha, if you don't mind the boldness of the yellow face, that's a screaming deal at amazon. There are all sorts of custom faces, bezles, chapter rings, etc. for a lot of the popular watches. You can even farkle your watch!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #88
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,630
I have had my timex triathalon since 6th grade (1984), 36 now, you do the math (never even held back a year)

It's been designated to the handlebar of a few thumpers and I might have changed the battery a few time. No idea what it cost, but I bet it was under $20 in 1984
30Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #89
justJeff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
I have had my timex triathalon since 6th grade (1984), 36 now, you do the math (never even held back a year)

It's been designated to the handlebar of a few thumpers and I might have changed the battery a few time. No idea what it cost, but I bet it was under $20 in 1984
No THAT's a VALUE! I love hearing stuff like that, it is so cool.

I had a Submariner that had to be worked on every couple of years. It kept okay time, but not any better than some $15 watches will. I'll never again own an expensive watch like that.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #90
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by justJeff
No THAT's a VALUE! I love hearing stuff like that, it is so cool.

I had a Submariner that had to be worked on every couple of years. It kept okay time, but not any better than some $15 watches will. I'll never again own an expensive watch like that.
It is what it is. I remember opening it up on Christmas day in Tampa at my grandparents when we went to visit in 84. Some things you just remember, like the "iron on" I got that said Florida, Florida, Florida 84 on it in camo and my tan with orange swish Nike running shoes I got. What has two thumbs and is a fashion icon?.....this guy
30Bones is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: