Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #91
justJeff
Banned

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
It is what it is. I remember opening it up on Christmas day in Tampa at my grandparents when we went to visit in 84. Some things you just remember, like the "iron on" I got that said Florida, Florida, Florida 84 on it in camo and my tan with orange swish Nike running shoes I got. What has two thumbs and is a fashion icon?.....this guy
Dude, you're causing me to have flashbacks to my bright blue Nike waffle trainers with the bright yellow swish on them!

Some things are much more about the memories and times they represent. How cool to have a memory of being at your grandparents in 84 when you got that watch. You just can't replace some things. My wife asked me a few years ago if I wanted a new wedding ring since mine is all scratched and has had to be polished several times. I told her that there was no way I could ever replace the ring she gave me and the memories of how seeing it the first time made me feel. A pawn dealer probably wouldn't give me much for it, but to me it's priceless. I ended up donating my submariner to a scholarship auction years ago. It meant nothing to me. I bought it at a time when I thought having a fancy watch announced to the world that I had arrived. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I have a Seiko titanium Kinetic that my wife gave me as a anniversay present several years ago. It means more to me than any Rolex I'd bought for myself ever could.

Your post caused me to take a mental trip down memory lane. At this time of year it was especially nice. Happy Holidays.
justJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #92
Desertskyy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Seiko Divers 200

Enough said

I think it would even out last the cockroaches
Desertskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #93
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,711
Ooh... A 205 in the same thread.

Bad form.

WA.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #94
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 800
Ok, guys, there have been some awesome watches on here.

Anyone have any experience with this watch? Anyone know how thick it is? How does citizen's eco-drive work?

Amazon has it for $135, and it looks awesome, plus I like the idea of the eco-drive.

Sorry if it looks like I am treating this thread as my personal shopping assistant, you all just seem to know a lot about these type of watches, and the workers at watch stores around here are clueless high school kids.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #95
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn
How does citizen's eco-drive work?

Citizen Eco-Drive and Casio Solar use a photovoltaic cell underneath the dial to generate electricity from ambient light striking the wristwatch face. That electricity is then used to [re]charge the wristwatch battery.

WA.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #96
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
How does citizen's eco-drive work?

How the ec0-drive watch works
http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Engl...drivemovie.asp

the FAQ
http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Engl...opic=Eco-Drive

Basicly, the eco-drive is a solar recharagable watch with the solar panel behind the watch face. There is no visible solar panel like on the early soalr watches.

I have both a citizen eco-drive and an automatic. The eco drive looks nicer (it was more expensive and has a better crystal). It is also quieter than the automatic. I wanted the tachymeter or I would have gotten another automatic (self winder).
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #97
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
i have two nice watches nd a couple of cheapies.

my oldest nice watch is a Movado Museum watch, 20 years old and it still looks new, but it's utterly impractical. no numbers, no features, just the gold dot at 12.

but it has a titanium case and bracelet, and sapphire crystal. unfortunately, last time i took in in for a battery, they said it needs a new gasket. also eeds a battery about every 18 months. when it was new, the pins would walk out of the bracelet, but i stopped that with red loctite. the stem broke one time when i was changing the time for DLS.

my current daily watch is a Luminox F117 Nighthawk. titanium bracelet, bezel and case, sapphire crystal and carbon fiber face. looks great, but last year a pin was broken on the band when i woke up in the morning. they repaired it under warranty.

i REALLY like the Ti and Sapphire combination... it doesn't get chewed up, and Ti is much lighter than stainless.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #98
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 800
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear in my question.

I read a couple pages about how citizen's eco-drive works (but thanks for the links).

I was hoping somebody who had experience with one would give their opinion of how well it works; ie, does working in an office really give a sufficient charge, do you have problems with it losing charge, etc.

Again, thanks a lot, there have been some great watches, and I think I am just going to have to buy myself another Christmas present.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #99
BerndM
Shiftless One

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear in my question.

I read a couple pages about how citizen's eco-drive works (but thanks for the links).

I was hoping somebody who had experience with one would give their opinion of how well it works; ie, does working in an office really give a sufficient charge, do you have problems with it losing charge, etc.

Again, thanks a lot, there have been some great watches, and I think I am just going to have to buy myself another Christmas present.
I have a Citizen Calibre 2100 Eco-Drive Chronograph (my favorite watch) and it charges up even indoors no problem.
This watch will run in TOTAL darkness for at least 3 months so there is no problem with leaving it in the drawer for quite a while.

As an interesting sidenote, my most expensive watch, a $5000 Rolex Submariner is also my LEAST accurate watch. Even my cheapy $50 Casio is way more accurate.

Regards
Bernd
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #100
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,092
I have a mess of vintage watches mostly mid 60's self winders

When I wore a watch I wore a Casio g-shock
The band wore out before the battery did.

10 years ago I found a bargain basement Casio digital in the street.
That watch was put on the triple clamp of my then superhawk.
That bike was crashed then put into storage
5 years later I get the bike back
I take the watch off that bike put it on my XR650L
Put 15,000 miles on the XR with the watch on the triple clamp

Then sell that bike I take the watch off and tossed it into a drawer.
I looked at it the other day
It's still working just fine.

I think it was around a $20 watch when it was new
But I found it and it had been around for a while before I got.

No reason to have an expensive watch other then to show other people that you have an expensive watch.

Since the cell phone I quit wearing a watch. Don't miss it at all.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #101
heykenny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
My vote is anything you like from Tissot.. My mom had one she bought in 1950... it was on her wrist every day till her death in 1988.. it was one that wound itself when you shake it... and for the last twenty years every time I come across it, I shake it just for kicks and that little sucker comes to life and works like it did in the summer of 1950
http://shop.tissot.ch/
heykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:51 AM   #102
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
I too have an EcoDrive and love it. Never even think about it charging or batteries. Works perfect all the time. Mine is about 5 yrs old and Ti cased. My only negative is the Ti creates an ultra fine "soot" as it wears and if doing something excessively active, can leave a black mark on wrist on occasion...or perhaps I should clean it more often...or at least once?
JTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:58 AM   #103
Big Lee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT
can leave a black mark on wrist on occasion...
My seiko stainless watch has done that now and again
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:00 AM   #104
Big Lee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
This is mine

Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #105
daemon
ZA rider

Oddometer: 49
Check the watchuseek.com forums, lots of usefull info there.

Personally I would go for either a Seiko Monster automatic ---- AWESOME WATCH
or a Casio G-shock Mudman, Frogman or Gulfman, think the Mudman suites adv riding more.

Both watches will outlast almost anything you put them through, your wrist will go before they do.
daemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: