Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #91
Nixels OP
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
My job is never done, therefore I am relentless.
Incalculable effort = relentless perfection.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #92
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,430
Quote:
But isn't what makes a computer a computer its programmability?

No just computational capacity. Programability actually came later. Mechanical Computers were just voltage divider networks using TX/TR/TDRs and whatnot. Fixed for a single purpose, but still a computer.

I have seen an analogue programmable computer....lets just say I never want to meet its programers.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #93
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
No just computational capacity. Programability actually came later. Mechanical Computers were just voltage divider networks using TX/TR/TDRs and whatnot. Fixed for a single purpose, but still a computer.

I have seen an analogue programmable computer....lets just say I never want to meet its programers.

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #94
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:

Sorry programmability, let's, programmers. Better
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #95
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,326
Mechanical gun fire control computer.

Differentials, disk/ball integrators, ballistics cams, that thing is chock-o-block full of widgets and gizmos. Only programmable in the sense of replacing the cams for various caliber guns, but it is responsive to a vast number of variable inputs.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #96
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
The bombing computer on the B-47's was manufactured by NCR and was analog. Many many gears and cams.....all to unload a Nuke.........

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #97
Nixels OP
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,641
It must be winter in the rest of the country.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #98
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 7,441
Quote:
But isn't what makes a computer a computer its programmability?

No. It's ability to execute program(s) is, because it can automate many tasks, doing repetitive calculations, (always of 1 or 0) over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and

Calculator

1. One that calculates, as:a. An electronic or mechanical device for the performance of mathematical computations.
b. A person who operates such a machine or otherwise makes calculations.

2. A set of mathematical tables used to aid in calculating.

A Calculator is a Computer. Albeit a very much simpler one, with fewer instructions per cycle...

1. A device that computes, especially a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores, correlates, or otherwise processes information.
2. One who computes.

:P

Computer derives directly from the Latin computus and computare. Both Latin words mean the same as the English verb compute: to determine by mathematical means. Putare means to reckon, and com is an intensifying prefix. An intensifying prefix heightens or stresses, but does not change the meaning of the word it modifies; for example, in the word inflammable, in is an intensifier, and inflammable means easily inflamed.
The use of computer to refer to a person who does mathematical calculations dates to at least 1646. The verb form to compute dates from about the same time, with the first recorded usage in 1631.
The Oxford English Dictionary, Second Edition (OED2) dates use of the word to refer to a mechanical calculating device as 1897, in the January 22 issue of the journal Engineering. The earliest reference in the OED2 to electronic computer is in 1946. However, from the context of the citation, it is obvious that the term was in use prior to 1946.
Citations for the term digital computer are somewhat older than 1946. The OED2 lists one citation, referring to ENIAC, from a 1945 Applied Mathematics Panel Report, 171.2R, by J. Eckert, et al. From the context, it is clear that the term was in general use among engineers already. The retronym analog computer arose around the same time, with the earliest citation in the OED2 as 1946. (A retronym is a term that previously did not need to exist, but is coined because of changes in technology or culture.) Prior to the digital age, no one referred to analog computers because all computers were analog.
In his 1945 paper on the EDVAC, John von Neumann used the term automatic computing system, which he italicized as a definition.
Eventually, the descriptive adjective in front of computer was dropped as digital computers became more and more common, driving out the other usages of the language.
You can find other discussions of the etymology of words at David Wilton's Etymology Page.

life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #99
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,181
A modern computer can't possibly have a Latin definition. The meaning of words surrounding computer or calculators has been changing rapidly in the last generation. I reject that definition.^
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #100
jazzmans
fickt euch

The fact is english is a dynamic and ever-changing language, Certainly that is one of its benefits.

in modern, common, discourse, a computer is a calculating device that is relatively easy to vary the instructions. (but that's too technical for most folk)

Realistically that defines a Digital Computer, not a Computer.
And all Digital Computers weren't that easy to vary their input/instructions. I remember punch cards, they were much more intensive then modern keyboards. Those were still Computers, however.

It's just a matter of how many COMPUTATION cycles modern machines can process with little to no physical input that makes the difference.

MIPS, buddy,

Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #101
jazzmans
fickt euch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts View Post
Mechanical gun fire control computer.

Differentials, disk/ball integrators, ballistics cams, that thing is chock-o-block full of widgets and gizmos. Only programmable in the sense of replacing the cams for various caliber guns, but it is responsive to a vast number of variable inputs.
replace cams= changing the input/instructions, therefore, a COMPUTER.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #102
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

At a base level computer means do math. Period.

They don't have to be digital to be programmable either, I've seen a programmable analogue computer board. Its in the museum at White Sands Missile Range, and its totally insane to think what it would take to program.

If you think that calculators are simple let me introduce you to my TI-92 sometime, it actually runs in a C++ environment and has a baby compiler on it.

...and an address book, but if I ever have to get a phone number off a chick with my calculator, I'm going to go outside and kick me own nerdy ass.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #103
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,741
"There isn't any software! Only different internal states of hardware. It's all hardware! It's a shame programmers don't grok that better."

-Infoworld, 1984
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #104
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,626
well, the antythinketcetera thing is kinda cool, but I am going to wade in to the dicussion, possibly (probably) late.

At the beginning was it intended to be able to show a different result?
No, its sole purpose was to show a relationship between the sun, planets and moons and show when the olympic games would be on so the sponsors could be ready in time.
There fore, it is in indicator.
Just like a Rolex watch, intended from the beginning to show movement of hands at a constant rate. REF/A/
Neither of these compute any thing.

Now, if you want to know the rate that a 1000kg silo will fill with grain over a period (time), you are now introducing some other information:-

conveyor speed / velocity
load carried on the conveyor e.g. kg/meter

so we have a conveyor traveling at 2meters / second
per meter of conveyor it is carrying 10kg of grain.
There fore in one second it will spit 20kg of grain.
20kg * 60s = 120kg minute
1000kg / 120 = 8.3 minutes or 8min 16 secounds

Now, in the above little scenario, I have calculated that it will take 8min 16 seconds for the silo to fill.

if you only want 750kg in your silo, YOU will need to look at your watch (which is providing a constant) and calculate how long to run the conveyor for 496 secounds / 4 = 124, 124 * 3 = 750kg in 372 seconds, 6min 12 seconds

a nice and simple calculation.

now, a fire control device.
Many more inputs, some are fixed inputs, others are variable. you could have a team of people with pencils and paper taking that information in processing it manually to come up with a solution and then send that information to the turret. they are working together to compute a solution how ever, there is so much information and constantly changing variables, that by the time they had forwarded that result, they would probably have been hit. So, develop a machine to make it quicker.

The constants are by fixed gears and shafts etc, the variables are fed in by levers wheels etc and a result comes out.

as machines developed and became smaller the automatic compute device became more common and I suspect that the word 'computer' is a derivitive of computer if some one knows their english word etymyology REF/B/

REF/A/ if any of you inmates make reference to the ability adjust the +/- inside a mechanical watch to be able to adjust the accuracy you can GTFO right now!

REF/B/ the english language hangs around on dark street corners and waits for unsuspecting other languages, it then mugs them, turns them over and grabs any loose grammer and takes that for its self
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: