Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #46
RedUly
Esse Quam Videri

Oddometer: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesean
ulysixs--I'm not sure I understand the comparo between the v-rod motor and 1125. From everything I've read they have no history or shared character other than liquid cooling and 4v/cyl OHC.
I don't think HD will officially confirm this, but the story goes like this.

HD started developing a motor for Buell way back when. It was eventually decided that this motor would also be used for the v-rod. As the the requirements of each group became clear, it was apparent that the v-rod project needed a motor large enough to look at home in a bike the size they were building. This made the motor too large and too heavy for what Buell needed it. Ultimitely it was decided that the v-rod was more imporant than the Buell project, and Buell lost his motor.

My personal speculation is that there are still a lot of hard feelings over this, and that is why Buell used Rotax to build the motor for the 1125.
I think people who are that bad at lying are probably too stupid to be taken seriously. - #18
You're a slut. But you're cute, so it's ok. - MayQueen
RedUly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #47
Ulyssessix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
ulysixs--I'm not sure I understand the comparo between the v-rod motor and 1125. From everything I've read they have no history or shared character other than liquid cooling and 4v/cyl OHC. I think the displacement is mere coincedence. If you have further info on possible kinship between the two I'd love to know more.
Jim and I have heard the same story, so he explains it well. The V-rod engine and the 1125R engine have no common parts that I know of. They compare only in the criteria laid out by the engineers at the beginning of their development. Comparing the two engines they have the same number of cylinders, number of valves, cooling, general bank angle, displacement, intake layout and engineering group specifying the engine's characteristics.

06 Buell Ulysses
99 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Honda Z50R (Hot Rod)
Ulyssessix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #48
1TrackSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Just to through something else out. Porsche design did the V-Rod (Revolution) engine fro Harley Davidson based loosely on the old road race motor they had as well a water cooled V4. (XR1000? and Nova respectively). The MoCo approached Porsche based on their experience with air/oil cooled engines and with some firm specifiactions.
It would surprise me given the years between introduction that the 1125 and the Revo share anything more than a basic layout.

Sam
1TrackSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #49
Ulyssessix
Studly Adventurer

Tracksam - You are refering to the VR1000. Like I stated earlier Buell was involved in that HD racing program. In 1987, Buell built a prototype which became the grand-daddy of the 1125R. It was the first twin spar, fuel in frame, water-cooled with side radiators, multivalve, V-twin motorcycle. The story and pictures are in the book "25 Years of Buell" by Court Canfield and Dave Gess. Buell proposed the bike and engine which had specific differences from other V-twins at the time. Some of these designs proposed by Buell for the VR1000 enigne are on the modern day Revolution engine in V-rod. HD passed on the chassis Buell proposed at that time. Today, Buell is getting ready to race the 1125R in AMA Sport Bike this year.

06 Buell Ulysses
99 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Honda Z50R (Hot Rod)
Old 02-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #50
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Who of you Buell guys have actually off road this bike? I 'm not talking about motorcross or single track. Fire roads, mountain dirt roads, or easy dirt trails. How do they preform? Are they easy to handle even though they are heavy? What about off road/dual sport tires? Is there agood selection?
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #51
gsilvernale
Lowlander

Oddometer: 252
It can handle hard packed fire roads at low-medium speeds. Its great for exploring places that you would take your subaru outback.

Its heavy, tall, geared too tall, and you can not find decent dual sport tires for it. So avoid mud, soft sand, loose gravel.
gsilvernale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #52
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Does great on Forest roads - gearing abit high for lots of low speed 'clutching' if you get into the more challenging stuff - but can be remedied by changing to X9 primary. Tires ? A real limitation. None in the 180 size except D616 or Syncs - neither of them have ANY pretense of being a good dualsport tire. MT60s about the closest to a Dirt tire available - and only in a 160 for the rear - and about 3k miles worth at that. This is not an 'off road' dualsport machine. Though some folks can skillfully mauver it through some pretty tough terrain. I consider it a GREAT adventure tourer - takes me camping, fishing and capable on any dirt road I've encountered so far. NO other "adventure" machine can match it in the twisties or for shear enjoyment of riding.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #53
adkranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi
Who of you Buell guys have actually off road this bike? I 'm not talking about motorcross or single track. Fire roads, mountain dirt roads, or easy dirt trails. How do they preform? Are they easy to handle even though they are heavy? What about off road/dual sport tires? Is there agood selection?
Off road? Sort of. Truck trail/fire road, unimproved forest roads(gravel & dirt). Rough, broken surface, hard-bottomed water crossings. All no problem, done them all. I have even done single track-like (ATV width) trails that were hard packed without difficulty. Anything more hard core I'd rather have a lighter thumper anyways.

Where the Uly suffers is deep, loose surfaces (i.e. mud or sand) due to wheel size and sneaker selections. True DS tire selections for the Uly are very limited at this point. Though for most riders who take the Uly where it is intended to roam it is not a problem. The Uly performs excellent for where I ride. First gear is a bit tall but this can be remedied with an XB9 primary conversion. Some complain about the narrow steering lock on earlier models(06-07) in slow speed manuvering. This has been enhanced with 08+ models. As far as handling goes I would rate it excellent. It owns the twisties and even slow speed stuff is not a problem with the wieght. It "feels" much lighter than it is, carries it's wieght very well. You should test ride one, people either tend to love 'em or strongly dislike. Not many middle of the roaders and it's not a bike for everyone. Must be why I like mine so much..................
1987 Reflex TLR200
adkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #54
mixemongpete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
i have a multistrada1100 ducati and am wondering how you would compare
it with the uly. would consider the uly as a next bike
mixemongpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #55
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi
It's a street bike..a great all day comfortable, kickass handling, wide open street bike..you can take an R-1 offroad..it's still a street bike too..
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #56
Hangetsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixemongpete
i have a multistrada1100 ducati and am wondering how you would compare
it with the uly. would consider the uly as a next bike
The Uly and the Strada are really built for the same market niche. They are very much the same in focus and intent and very much different in the way they ride. From race track to mountain roads, to logging roads, neither one will greatly out perform the other, but they will respond to each environment slightly different from one another. It's just a matter of taste. Ride a Uly and see for yourself. If it speaks to you, it may be your bike. If not, you can't go wrong with the Multi.
Hangetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #57
Ulyssessix
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
It's a street bike..a great all day comfortable, kickass handling, wide open street bike..you can take an R-1 offroad..it's still a street bike too..
Ha, that reminds me of the last time I did a water crossing on the Uly. A friend on a Super Hawk was riding with us. Of course it took him some time to get the water out from under the fairing. When we finally got back on the road every time he got on it, it would dump water like a pick up truck after a rain storm. Too funny!

The Uly is not a enduro bike, no doubt, but it has the ability to get to places most street bikes can not go. No matter how much some doubting Thomas' say it can't, short wheel base added to ground clearance and I can leave most street bikes just crossing the ditch to the trail. Start crossing ditches in your FJR or ST1300 and get back with me.

06 Buell Ulysses
99 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Honda Z50R (Hot Rod)
Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #58
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
No More Buells being Built - but there are Still WRX motors out there . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE
EXCELLENT REVIEW = Sold American !!!

Throw in a photo of a Off Road/Street Rally Car and I think you have a motorcycle that looks like a Subaru WRX !!
Well - a Subaru is as close to an enduro as you get in the car (Not SUV) world . . .

Quote from the Designer - Ian McElroy

"Over a year ago I was thinking up crazy ideas for my next project, and I decided to just do them all. It took a lot of research. The hard part was finding a workable transmission, but I saw that Jesse James bike with the radial engine, and realized I could just do what he did. At some point I decided I had to model the whole bike in CAD, as a lot of the parts had to be machined from aluminum. So I set out to teach myself Solidworks and use it to model the chassis. It is a testimate to the awesomeness of Solidworks that I was able to learn everything I needed as I built my model, with no prior CAD experience whatsoever. I have to give credit to Matt, aka Shift1313 on customfighters.com. Without his help the model wouldn't look quite so good, and probably wouldn't function very well either. Thanks Matt!

A few specs

Engine: stock Subaru WRX
Turbo: stock IHI
Wheels: 5Ziggen "ProRacer"
Wheelbase: 56.5"
Rake: 20 degrees
Right angle gearbox: from a Mitsubishi awd car
Transmission: Baker Torquebox
Belt drive: BDL
Front hub: rear hub, 1980's GM car
Rear axle: modified Datsun 280Z stub axle
Rear shock: aftermarket Buell type pull shock"
Old 10-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #59
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,326
How would you Uly riders rate the deep, loose gravel road handling, say compared to a Tiger (pre2007) or Strom?
AkBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #60
adkranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkBrian
How would you Uly riders rate the deep, loose gravel road handling, say compared to a Tiger (pre2007) or Strom?
Have ridden an older Tiger, but only on road. No dealer would even let me sit on a Strom so couldn't say. But, from my experience deep, loose surface (gravel, mud or sand) is NOT the Uly's forte'. I have had to deal with all these surfaces before and made it through unscathed, wouldn't purposefully subject myself to 100s of miles of it intentionally though. Now gravel surface roads(firm) are not a problem, do those all the time. Where the 17" hoop and tire profile hurt you is when the surface has no base underneath. But then, the bike was never intended for that kind of stuff. Tire selection is the biggest limitation, some are better than others, but my only experience is with the Pirellis so far. YMMV
1987 Reflex TLR200
adkranger is offline   Reply With Quote