Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #61
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkranger
Have ridden an older Tiger, but only on road. No dealer would even let me sit on a Strom so couldn't say. But, from my experience deep, loose surface (gravel, mud or sand) is NOT the Uly's forte'. I have had to deal with all these surfaces before and made it through unscathed, wouldn't purposefully subject myself to 100s of miles of it intentionally though. Now gravel surface roads(firm) are not a problem, do those all the time. Where the 17" hoop and tire profile hurt you is when the surface has no base underneath. But then, the bike was never intended for that kind of stuff. Tire selection is the biggest limitation, some are better than others, but my only experience is with the Pirellis so far. YMMV
Thanks, just curious as we have certain places here in Alaska, the Yukon, and the NWT, that the roads can be kind of squirrelly unpacked gravel, especially if the gravel has recently been added. I'm really thinking about an X, the suspension looks really appealing, but I do wonder about the 17" front tire. I'm riding a Wee right now. (or I should say two days ago, the snow has finally hit Fairbanks.)
AkBrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #62
OoPEZoO
Dirtball Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 260
OK guys, I've been searching but haven't found any info on gas mileage and tank range..........what are you guys getting?

I notice the Buell website lists the tank as 4.4 Gallons Total
That seems aweful small
OoPEZoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #63
olenuf2nobetter
Doin' it anyway

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
OK guys, I've been searching but haven't found any info on gas mileage and tank range..........what are you guys getting?

That seems aweful small
I get around 40 mpg on my '08. Earlier models seem to do much better, 50+. Can't speak for later models.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #64
atoms
drunk

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoPEZoO

That seems aweful small
I average 42.5 on my '07. It seems to be improving slightly as I get more miles on the thing. Lots of guys report better MPG than that though. The low fuel light comes on around 140 or 150 miles. I've never run it dry but I have gone 30 miles after the light comes on a few times.

The range was one of my only disappointments with the bike. But honestly, almost all of the time I ready for a little break after 150 miles anyway.
atoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #65
OoPEZoO
Dirtball Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 260
Ouch.....that IS a short tank. I currently tend to run 200-250 miles between fillups when traveling on my RT, but that is just because I can. I wouldn't mind shortening up my stops on a full day of riding, but I commute 120 miles a day and refuse to stop at the gas station every single day. Before I saw that 4.4G spec I had my fingers crossed for 240+ per tank. Guess that was just wishfull thinking.

Oh well, guess I'll keep flogging the RT.........thanks for the info
OoPEZoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #66
Mr Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
New Uly

Hey to all, been lurking for a while, trying to decide which way to go...I'd have one of everything if I could....
This site has been extremely helpful and I thank the forum et al.....
i have been riding for forty years, all sorts of fun.....old, new and in between....
Anyway, I finally pulled the trigger on a new Uly.....??
New you say? Not possible........o.k. A 2006 with just over a thousand miles on it......yup 1000......didn't take me long to hand over $$$. I'll be scouring the posts to enlighten myself and if there are any Ulys here, I'm always open for any advice.....thanks again....mr mark
Mr Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #67
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
Anyway, I finally pulled the trigger on a new Uly.....??
Right here for ALL things Buell: http://www.badweatherbikers.com/cgib....cgi?pg=topics
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #68
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
Congrats! I bought an 06 Uly last Oct and I love it. Mine has a few more miles than yours (67k).
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #69
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Beautiful bike, congrats on a treasure find
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #70
euromedic
Peter...n00b

Oddometer: 134
Nice find Mark.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #71
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 192
MrMark, welcome to the Uly world! Make sure to do some research on what was done maintenance wise on your bike. You can quiz the PO or call a harley shop with the vin # to find out if any of the recalls were performed. There were a few things on the 06 uly that needed to be addressed. Badweather bikers is your friend here too. Right off the top of my head are...sidestand failure, tip over switch failure (could cause your bike to cut out while leaned a bit in a curve), 77 connector, fuel pump wire chafing, ECM re location due to seat putting pressure on it. All of these can be searched with lots of results over at badweb. Don't want to freak you out, but these were some of the problems with the early ulys and most are easily fixed.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #72
Mr Mark
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkguy View Post
MrMark, welcome to the Uly world! Make sure to do some research on what was done maintenance wise on your bike. You can quiz the PO or call a harley shop with the vin # to find out if any of the recalls were performed. There were a few things on the 06 uly that needed to be addressed. Badweather bikers is your friend here too. Right off the top of my head are...sidestand failure, tip over switch failure (could cause your bike to cut out while leaned a bit in a curve), 77 connector, fuel pump wire chafing, ECM re location due to seat putting pressure on it. All of these can be searched with lots of results over at badweb. Don't want to freak you out, but these were some of the problems with the early ulys and most are easily fixed.
Thanks and not freaked out, I was a mechanic for thirty years, this is bike no.19
I'd like to say I've seen everything but that would bite me in the a##....
I did check out Badweather and have been reading/learning and I'm headed to the dealer in a day or so to check on recalls....i appreciate your help....
Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #73
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,752
Congrats on the Uly!

I am on my second 06 and do love these bikes.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #74
Mr Mark
Adventurer

Haven't had a chance to run the vin yet, but poking around I found the bank sensor moved, ecm has a block on one of the mounts(i'm guessing to keep the seat off it), the steering head wiring cover thingy,....the 77 connecter, from what I read, is behind the sprocket cover(?) havent checked that yet...not sure what fails on the sidestand, looks o.k. Though a little sloppy....
Gonna buy a factory manual later tonight......good reading I'm sure.....
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #75
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,134
Love the Uly!

Put over 100,000 miles on my two '06 Uly's (first one totaled on a deer). What a great bike! When BMC went belly-up I bought a 2010 Multistrada 1200S instead (but kept the Uly as my commuter). With nearly 50,000 miles on the Duc I've gotta admit I've not bonded with it like I did with the Uly.

You can't go home again, but I'd love to see Erik come out with another "ADV" style bike.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote