User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
wadenelson OP
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 189
The Fastest Greatest Motorcycle Road Left in North America

The fifty miles of Highway 64 from Tres Piedras (TP) to Tierra Amarilla (TA) New Mexico (West of Taos)
is the fastest, loneliest and greatest riders' road left in North America.

It offers innumerable knee-dragging sweeper turns, hairpins, esses, 125+ mph straightaways and at most one car per mile to pass or cross. Breathtaking mountain scenery.

Put this road on your bucket list if you own a sport bike or ride like you do. Or even a high powered sports car.

Another rider's opinion:

We all agreed this was one of the most fun roads we had ever ridden.

Taos NM would be in the very lower right part of this map, and somehow got clipped. 30 high-speed miles from Taos to Tres Piedras, which means, "Three Rocks" in Espanol. Some pretty interesting "Earthships" just outside of Taos.

For more on Tres Piedras: http://www.sangres.com/newmexico/tao...m#.U824woBdXoY

There's ONE New Mexico State Patrol guy who normallly patrols this area, usually he's somewhere in the 55mph speedtrap between Chama and Tierra Amarilla writing tickets like crazy. Once you have located him you're home free. Otherwise, take radar because you ARE going to be in "Go to jail, have bike towed" mph territory if you get your sport bike out on this road.

If you head west from Taos, you will go over the breathtaking Taos Gorge bridge featured in "Wild Hogs" and a dozen other movies, including one with Willem Dafoe in which I *starred* as an extra, lol. Stop, park, and walk out onto the bridge. If you had never seen the Grand Canyon, and someone TOLD you Taos Gorge WAS the Grand Canyon, you would probably believe them.

West of the bridge you'll go past the 'Earthship" Community with a WIDE variety of VERY unusual looking homes

Fuel and food up either in Taos or in Chama, the once quaint gas station / diner in Tres Piedras is now abandoned. In Chama, eat breakfast at Finas (Warning: The Green Chile is 102 octane) and lunch or dinner at The High Country. I had trout there that TASTED like wild caught, not farm raised...and probably was, even though it's illegal for sport fishermen to sell their catch to restaurants. There's a Subway sandwich shoppe in Chama for you losers.

Don't plan on finding any WIFI out here, or celltowers.

The road is only open in the summer, and yes, there ARE deer. The road surface isn't as good as it was a few years ago, especially in the hairpins on the west side of the Brazos peak. And they're working on it, unfortunately, re-doing corners and such instead of repaving the whole damn thing. The east side is fine; it's a cryin' shame the hairpins aren't all getting fresh asphalt.

This road is so great there's not one but TWO Youtube/GoPros of it. (Unfortunately neither shows the twisties or hairpins :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4RyVwcLiQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8TBZapJwEI

And last of all, don't forget that these two characters loved these same Northern New Mexico roads ---

wadenelson screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 10:34 PM
wadenelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Yup great road. I've never seen a one else on it. It's up there with 191--Clifton to Alpine in AZ.

Geof
Old 07-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,441
Thanks for the info. Probably headed that way next year.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
scrameville06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Go north of chama on 17. Great section of road too. Just beware of cows or bulls on the road.
scrameville06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
wadenelson OP
Rider/Writer

Additional Pictures from Last Greatest Road in N. America

Additional Comments: The weather can change rapidly in the mountains, even in August. Be sure and carry rain/winter gear. I got hailed on last time over....in a 4-Runner.

The summit is 10,507' altitude, so you can EXPECT some rough running / lack of power on carbureted bikes.

Start of the Ride: The Pink Schoolhouse in Tres Piedras (Three Rocks). I can't figure out where the 3rd Rock is unless it's covered in trees...

The 50 finest miles you will ever ride!

It's about the road...

What'll happen if you DON'T fuel up in Taos or Tierra Amerilla...

View of the Brazos cliffs from the 10,507' summit, where the WEATHER CAN CHANGE QUICKLY...

Lots of wildflowers en route

Paving on the hairpins not so great anymore

Fall colors will be arriving soon:

There's currently (8/2014) about a mile of construction; road is CLOSED in winter...

Curveway to Heaven:

Another funky house West of the Taos Gorge (John Dunn) Bridge

Article on these funky houses (Earthships)

http://www.whileoutriding.com/usa/ne...id-dwellers-nm

The Taos Gorge

And the Gorge (John Dunn) Bridge.... lots of vendors, coffee, ice cream jewelry, crystals....set up on both ends... when built in 1965 it was the 2nd highest bridge in North America...

Base jumping off the Gorge Bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF2kdJaxP0o

"Big Sky" between Tres Piedras and the Bridge

It's about the road... and this one is just fantastic...

wadenelson screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 09:52 PM
Old 08-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
BashOn
Bold Misadventurer

Oddometer: 5
Stop it. Stop right now. You're making me homesick.
BashOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I'm from NM. I can't remember if I ever road this route as a kid growing up. However, a few years ago I went this route on my 2010 Ducati Multistrada.

It was pure heaven. It was early june. I started at Tierra Amarilla side around 9:30am. Very little traffic. I only saw one other vehicle going the other way. The best part of this section of road is the sweepers. There are multiples. You know where the sweet spot is easily above 90mph, feeling like you are on rails, perfect balance of speed and constant radius and length of curve all the while climbing and seeing the vistas.

I've ridden the famous HWYs in N. California. In my opinion, they are better, only because the nirvana lasts longer. 50 miles is too short.

If you are touring in NM, take the detour and ride this section. I don't know if it is the fastest road left in N. America, but it is one of the most enjoyable.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Road Hound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I rode this route the first time in 1975, I was heading home from a ride in Colorado. I've been back many times over the years and it never fails to impress.
Road Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
I owned a second home in Angel Fire, NM for 11 years. Sold it in 2012. Was a sad day as this entire area is truly some of the best riding I have experienced. Truly a great area to visit on motorcycles for those that have not spent much time in and around the Enchanted Circle.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
wadenelson OP
Rider/Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
I've ridden the famous HWYs in N. California. In my opinion, they are better, only because the nirvana lasts longer.
Any specific recommendations for NorCal roads???

I did 36 (Red Bluff to Eureka) one time in a 1985 Toyota MR-2. I can honestly say it is the ONLY time in my ENTIRE life that twisties completely wore me out and I began praying for it to FINALLY END!
Old 08-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,353
Please obey all posted speed limits while riding in New Mexico. Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
I also agree that this road is one of the best un-heard of roads in he USA. Have ridden it many times and always enjoy it alot. Sweeper heaven and hardly a car. Have never seen a LEO on it in over 30-40 times I have ridden it.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
wadenelson OP
Rider/Writer

New Mexico Moto-tourism webpage

http://www.newmexico.org/moto-tourism
Old 08-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
wadenelson OP
Rider/Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
Please obey all posted speed limits while riding in New Mexico. Thanks
Why would I want to do that??
Nuns and orphans, dude. You might run one over.
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM   #15
MaverickNC
BAMF

Oddometer: 90
I lived in Chama for about 3 years back in the 90's. You are right about the road from TA to Taos. AMAZING.

And yes, the weather does change quickly depending on time of year. Be prepared. Elk and deer abound, so watch out.

If in Chama, definitely stop by the High Country for grub. Used to be my haunt years ago. Cumbres and Toltec Railroad still runs to Alamosa, CO in the summers. Great little village, just not enough work to keep us there.
MaverickNC is offline   Reply With Quote