User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #1
M1Jeep OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Thumb SBNF - Big Bear Ride Report, Sunday 10/19/14

A good friend of mine (Emmitt) hit me up for a Sunday ride. He's had a several year hiatus off the bike and wants to get back into the groove of things. What better way to do this than spend a beautiful Sunday up in the SBNF!

After a last minute invite we ended up with a total of (7) riders, all good folks. We left McD's @ 8:45. Our route began in Hesperia, up Bowen Ranch Rd to the Coxey trail up to and through the Big Bear Valley. Down Converse Rd to the 7 Oaks Resort Restauarant for a much earned lunch. We'd take city creek rd west to the hwy 330, our finishing point.

The group at Bowen/Coxey turn-off:

Emmitt:

Steve:

Bill:

Rob:

The group at Big Pine Flats:

The group was doing great! Conditions were a bit dusty but the temps were mild and comfortable.

The riders:

Emmitt (DR650):

Mr.Head (990Adv):

Outlaws (DRZ400):

Slugdad (KLR650):

KLRrob (KLR650):

Steve (690Adv):

After our break we continued east along 3n16 (Holcolmb Valley Rd) to the city dump. We continued around Baldwin Lake to Moonridge Rd where we'd hook up with the Converse trail to Radford down the mountain to 7 Oaks for lunch.

We came upon a herd of horses relaxing in the shade near the side of the road:

We soon were back on the road. After a quick stop at Bellevill cabin we made it to the site of the old Lucky Baldwin mill to regroup.

Mr.Head (Richard):

Outlaws (Danny):

Slugdad (Bill):

KLRrob (Rob):

We zipped around the lake and headed towards Moonridge rd where we descended to Seven Oaks. The fellas have worked up an appetite and are ready for some much deserved grub!

We scored a spot on the patio...

All fed and ready to roll out:

Emmitt rolling up to the Bear creek bridge:

Steve:

Danny:

Bill:

Richard:

After a little creekside chit-chat we were off. Time to see if there is any water in the several creek crossings along this trail...

Rob:

Danny:

Emmitt:

Steve:

Richard:

Bill:

We continued on with Rob leading. I turned a corner and found him waiting across another water crossing. I chose the line along the right. There ended up being a hole (or two) a few feet deep which surprisingly dunks your bike. No wonder Rob was parked along the left side!

Danny:

Emmitt:

Steve:

Richard:

Bill (took the biggest dunk!):

Shortly after this last water crossing we were back at the pavement where we shook hands and bid each other a safe ride home.

I want to thank everyone who joined the ride and made Sunday fun. You all rock and I look forward to riding with you again in the near future.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #2
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,995

very nice rich!

no more 3n16...

there are so many options that only this year we start finding them out.

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #3
M1Jeep OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post

very nice rich!

no more 3n16...

there are so many options that only this year we start finding them out.

Thanks Joel. Matt (rider914) has enlightened us!
My YouTube
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #4
slugdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
great shot rich
wish i'd known there was a curb under there

slugdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #5
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,939
Why does Emmitt looked pissed all the time hahahaha? Mr Head WTF are you doing there? You are far from a n00b ??? Looked like a good ride. I got sick from eating at Toby Keith's on Saturday or I would have joined you guys.
craigincali is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:04 AM   #6
M1Jeep OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugdad View Post
great shot rich
wish i'd known there was a curb under there

Nothing beats a good dunk after a long dusty day!
My YouTube
Old Today, 08:07 AM   #7
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,857
So, Bill you just figured since it was deep enough, you'd wash the KLR. You know what with the drought and all.
Way to go buddy saving water.

Great stuff Rich.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #8
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

For me I was not sure I was going to make it given the annual pumpkin carving party my daughter hosts at the house every year. There was a lot of getting ready that I tried my best to avoid.
I saved the prep of the KTM for Saturday evening.
Lubed the chain, and swapped the Starbucks luggage off for the gnarly adventurer tail bag.

I looked at the tires. They still looked mostly like tires.
So, what else should a guy do before cracking the first beer of a party the night before a ride into the unknown?
I know! Flash the ECU!

I did pull the top of the airbox off to check for stray rodents and small birds. Nothing to snack on so bolted it all back up, then later during the party fired the bike up two different times for little boys to rev the throttle. Nothing makes a ten year old kids day like sitting on a loud bike in a garage and ripping the throttle grip.
One little boy had, had a birthday the previous week and there just happened to be an orange KTM Racing youth sized cap in the cupboard.

I should get commission from KTM.

Midnight, off to bed for me. I was turning back into a pumpkin.
Alarm set to stun, did not fire?
But, I woke soon enough and managed some sips of coffee before I realized what time it was.
Jump on the bike and off to the Shell station at the 138 and I-15, then around the corner to McDonalds.

We headed out missed the turn on the road that starts with an "S".
GPS turn.

On tacks and no more misses to the dirt. We stop on the ranch road for the collective to collect, then up to the fork. Stop to check the vegetation.

Soon enough we're off up the road, Something Springs, I think this one starts with a "C".

I have crappy video of this, since my phone decided to never actually link to my GoPro for the ride so I could actually aim the camera. I'd done this all pre-ride Friday, but of course bumped the arrangement so I have a couple of hours of video of the trails about five feet in front of my tire. Why I can make this thing work in the garage or the garden but get it near the bike and the aim is crooked, off into the ditch or down. Well, another time.
I'll cut up the video down to a minute of tolerable boredom in a week or so...
We stopped at Big Pine Flats in the shade for a bit. I'd been here last week and recognized that, so there is hope.

A little further up the road we stopped in the meadow
Some parking issues,
sorry.... Had to be done.

And a glamor shot of the 990.

Art shot,

Lest anyone think we're all about blasting through the forest never mind history and flowers we stopped at the Bellville Cabin.

Then onto another picturesque overlook,

Then around the lake and up and over and down, down, down to lunch.
Hungry?
Yes, I was so hungry I managed to forget to take pictures.
After way too much food we were off again. This time narrow soft to rocky steep to this bridge where we stopped to swat at bugs.

A parting shot of a butterfly and my camera was put away for the remainder of the ride. I set my LOE switch to survival, and we were off. Water crossings, and soft sand covering bumping hidden rocks. Bill warned me about slick concrete water crossings. I took heed.
That really small one with the steep rocky entry, then turn which way? To the steep rockier exit.
Sucked!
Good thing I was on the 990, it is better at this stuff than I am. I was slow for sure, but I had a good time and arroive home tired, with the bike having clicked the reserve light on at 160 miles out.
Not that great of economy, but made it.

Thanks all for the great day out and Rich for the tracks and lead and organization.
Wonderful as always.

This weekend I'll swap the worn knobbies for the new Scorpions, and clean things up a bit.

By evening I was all ready to head back into the commute,

Facebook
Smugmug
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #9
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

When it comes to sand and tight, I'm a noob, or boob?
I'm slowly edging my way back into this stuff. Riding up and down the freeway does nothing for knowing how to ride.

Good shots of me getting wet Rich.
I'll get some video edited in the next week or so. It is not great, but its what I got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
Why does Emmitt looked pissed all the time hahahaha? Mr Head WTF are you doing there? You are far from a n00b ??? Looked like a good ride. I got sick from eating at Toby Keith's on Saturday or I would have joined you guys.
Facebook
Smugmug