User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #1
Mr B OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Easy riding near Yosemite

Been a long slow spring, coming, seems whenever we get some warm weather we get a California cool snap, nothing like those of you back east or up north are accustomed to dealing with, been there done that too much. After 15 years in CA, not sure I could go back to scrapping windshields. It's not the snow but the mud season that I hated living in Utah. The summers, were awesome, but I digress.....
So I am preparing for exam week, I instruct at a community college teaching aircraft maintenance, power plant to be precise...(After too many years of crawling under airplanes and traveling the world, decided to stick to something simple!! You really don't know something until you try and teach it, then you figure out how little your really know) So it is my normal day off, Monday, and I decided to take the bike (F800GS) up to a place called Briceburg.

Briceburg is a sharp turn in Highway 140 about 25 miles from Yosemite. I think it is a jumping off point for rafters and it always draws a crowd on hot summer days. I just pass through, crossing the Merced river to climb the switchbacks to the ridge line and onward. The road is a two track, graded to some degree and always a blast. Google maps refers to it as Burma Grade and then Bull Creek Road. After a somewhat on again off again spring, (rain and snow) I thought I would take a run and see how the back roads faired this winter. Usually this time of year you are dealing with lots of downed trees and what not, especially after the fires the past few years. But this past winter was a real non event!

Just as I was passing through Mariposa, it started to rain, just slightly and I almost decided to bag the whole idea and head for the house. There is a section of Bull Creek Road that, when wet, looks like it would be slicker then pretty much anything on a door knob. It is a very Red Clay type dirt, kind of like what I grew up with in North Carolina.

Anyway to cut it short, it was an awesome day, the dirt was ego building with the perfect amount of slip and grip....Should have taken more pics but i put together this bit of video. My intention was to make it all the way to Highway 108 but getting a late start and the weather in the mountains keep it somewhat shorter. Bull Creek road drops you out near Greely Hill CA, which is about 50 miles from home so that was my Monday!!

Briceburg 2015 from R Bruce Pettyjohn on Vimeo.

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]

Mr B screwed with this post 05-19-2015 at 07:50 AM
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote