ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Bob Arthur OP
some "Kid" ...

Oddometer: 1,301
Question Norfolk VA - I'll be there next summer

Hello all.

I'm usually in the NE forum, however, I'll be relocating to Norfolk VA next June. I'll be working at the Norfolk Naval base as a navy dentist (graduating from school this yr - uncle sam footed the bill )

So what's the dirt bike riding like down there ? I do not know anything about the area, other than it's near VA beach and NC.

I'm a member of an enduro club in NJ and enjoy riding single track.. any of that down there ? should I keep my ktm 200 or am I going to be better buying a d/s bike again.. (hope not - i really like my 200)..

Thanks for the input.. hopefully I can meet some of you folks when I get down there.. cheers.. Bob
'03 KTM 200 EXC ( )
'04 DRZ400s (dirt mod.): sold. I'll miss her I'm sure.
'02 DR200 (1st bike ever): sold.

Bob Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
I live about an hour west of the area. Got bad news for ya.

I grew up in New England, and this area SUCKS for dirt riding. I usually travel 2 hours west, to the mountains for decent dirt, and even then, all the good trails are illegal.

To find really good stuff means going to West Virginia or Pennsylvania.

"Single track" as we knew back north doesn't really exist down here, as all the locals seem to prefer quads (ick).

Your only salvation may be to race the VA Championship Hare Scrambles Series (VCHSS.ORG) or the VXCS (VXCS.org). There are a couple of races out that way.

You can also morph into MX and race at Elizabeth City, NC.

There is also Slade's Park, a burnt out, chewed up piece of sandy, rooty awefulness which will be about 45 minutes from you. There is also place called "The Cove" which I have never tried, but sounds like a quad fest.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hope you have a truck.

I travel back to New England, PA, and WV several times a year just to ride.

It's that bad.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oh yeah. Don't sell the 200, but a good DS is a good investment for "sneaking around".
Old 12-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,197
yeah, bad news! not much of a dirt bike following around here. Heck, the local KTM shop might be closing up here very soon. They can't sell any bikes. As stated above, that's all we got around here. We do have local ADV dinners that go on, we have the current TAG-O-RAMA and some of us head to the WV mountains 2 or so a year.

Welcome Aboard.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Bob Arthur OP
some "Kid" ...

well this just blows .. maybe i should have requested orders to Camp LeJeune NC instead - that's out in the middle of nowhere and there must be some riding around there..

i might just have to outfit the 200 and ride the MX tracks.. not going to race - just go if they have open practice nights... - if I don't ride for more than a few wks, I get very cranky..

my family (and my fiancee's) will still be in NJ - so I'll have to keep my NJ registration and bring the ktm when I go home to visit on the wkends..

thanks.. and thanks for the welcome..

*** just looked up elizabeth city NC MX cross track - looks like it's not open if there isn't a race.. shit..

*** Just looked up slade's park.. it doesn't look that bad on the website.. guess i'll have to see.
'03 KTM 200 EXC ( )

Bob Arthur screwed with this post 12-19-2008 at 09:12 AM
Old 12-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,197
You might get some better info from the folks inside this thread who have bikes like yours "Hampton Roads Dinner"
Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
Cycletech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Arthur
*** Just looked up slade's park.. it doesn't look that bad on the website.. guess i'll have to see.
Slade's is OK, not great. Full of everything and anything when it comes to riders, and lots of ATV's. Some single track stuff, but really not a nice place.

Some of the local (to Richmond) guys have private tracks that you can join. Some you may have to be invited to. I have acres of land in Louisa County that i ride a few times a year, your welcome to come along. Lots of fire roads and some single track and creek crossings. Private lake, camping on site, or fight for a bed in the cabin. PPlasman you can come too
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Shoot, CT, I never knew!

There is a guy from that area who has been advertising on Craigslist to get people to ride (and, I assume, pay) at his place. He didn't have too many pictures, and they didn't look great.

BobArthur, I'm sure you'll find a few like minded riders in that area. I always see a few dirt bikes on my infrequent trips to Oceana, Norfolk, and the Portsmouth Hospital. Us Army guys don't like to be around that much water, ya know.

pplassm screwed with this post 12-19-2008 at 10:43 AM
Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Cycletech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm
Shoot, CT, I never knew!
It's a closely guarded secret.

Well not really, I just don't get up there as much as I would like. We can go anytime. It's best if you have 4WD, the road in is 2+ miles of ruts and mud.

Cycletech screwed with this post 12-19-2008 at 11:19 AM
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Bob Arthur OP
some "Kid" ...

thanks for the replies guys.. cycletech - thanks for the offer.. i'm sure i'll meet up w/ you guys when i get down there.. i knew there had to be some dirt riders in the area.. maybe when i get down there, we can work together and put some trails in on your property .. i've always wanted to do that .. my enduro club duties are more "on race day", rather than event prep - (that's saved for the older members that really know what they're doing..

pplassm... we'll have to meet up too.. esp since you were the first one to chime in.. other than riding - what is the southern area of VA like ? I want to buy a boat when I get down there too - do some bay fishing, water skiing, etc.. what's the surrounding job market like ? my fiancee will be searching - however she's a very educated and qualified woman.. no clue what she sees in me ..
'03 KTM 200 EXC ( )

Old 12-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
pplassm
Brace for collision!

If you like boating and fishing, you will be in heaven. Lots of salt water fishing in Hampton Roads.

There's lots of government stuff there, so that means lots of contractor jobs in the area. These will still be around or the forseeable future.

Hampton Roads is fairly developed. Kinda like Jersey, across the river from Philadelphia. It's coastal plain, real flat.

Hot and sweaty in the summer, but temperate in the winter. If you like seafood and fishing, you'll like it.

A bit too developed and crowded for me.

The Navy needs ports, so the big bases end up in crowded coastal cities (Norfolk, San Diego). The Army needs space, so we end up in isolated locations (Ft. Irwin, CA, and Ft. Hood, TX). In either case, the military brings jobs and money. I'm sure your fiance will find something.

Happy hunting!