ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,006
CAMPING 101: A place for moto-camping noobs to ask & learn / Pros to mentor

(NOTE: I thought of posting this in "Trip Planning", but I'm in this area of the forum most often and know many of you Southeast FF's.)

PURPOSE: I would like this thread to give those of us new to moto-camping (or wanting to start) an opportunity to post questions and show photos of our first several campouts so the more experienced campers among us can offer constructive suggestions on both technique and equipment. I would also like to keep it accessible to those of us with limited budgets, so $500 tents, $300 sleeping bags, and the such are off-limits, please. I think there are plenty of riders like me who do not have plans for epic "round-the-world" rides on a $20K bike with $5K in gear and accessories, camping every night for years on end in Mongolia and Patagonia, but rather overnighters and maybe a week or two trip each year staying in state park campgrounds. And many of us are on limited budgets. Let's get started.

I have been a very infrequent camper (average 2 or 3 overnighters per year), so I'm not completely new to camping, but I've only done it a few times on the motorcycle. My previous ride was a V-Strom 1000 which I could load down like a pack mule. However, my current ride is a Suzuki Burgman 650 Scooter. Therefore, I am trimming weight and size while trying to stay on a tight budget.

My Current Gear:
Tent - REI Clipper, Bought on sale for $125. This was my major expense. Big enough for 2 sleeping bags, but packs up reasonably small at 7"X20". Weighs 5 lbs. Includes "footprint" protective ground cover and rain fly. Well constructed, was very waterproof the one time it rained moderately hard, plenty roomy for solo, and well-ventilated. Quite a step up from my old $25 Wal-Mart tent.

Sleeping bag - Cheapo Coleman 30*-50* at WalMart for $25, but also bought a fleece liner for $20. When it's 90+ temps, I just use the liner on the sleeping pad. When it's 40s, I use the liner inside the Coleman bag. I take extra measures to ensure it stays dry, because I know if it gets wet I'm out of luck.

Sleeping Pad - Alps Mountaineering Nimbus on sale at REI for $65, 3 inches thick, self-inflating, rolls up very small at 4"X13". Very nice as I sleep on my side most of the time. I also have an REI Trekker 1.0 self-inflating pad, but it's only 1 inch thick and my hips hurt after a night of sleeping on my side. The Nimbus is very comfortable, but I've only used it once.

All of this gear fits easily under the seat of the Burgman, with room left over for tools and rain gear. I use my tail bag for clothes and toiletries. I strap the sleeping bag on top of the tail bag, as it is light and does not affect the center of gravity as much.
I do not pack food or cooking equipment at this point because of space. I would appreciate feedback on inexpensive, compact gear and food that travels well. Thanks.

I'm looking at getting a set of Nelson-Riggs 855 soft saddlebags which hold quite a bit, but will make the already-wide Burgman even wider. I used the NR 850s on my old VStroms so I'm familiar with them. Only about $100, and easy on/off. I would probably only use them on camping trips. Otherwise, the Burgman holds quite a bit.

I guess my initial questions are:
1) What is some minimal, inexpensive, and compact cooking equipment? And what is some good food that travels well? I would be interested in easy-to-transport dehydrated meals that would be easy to make and reasonable tasty.

2) I've seen many moto-campers using hammocks. I can see the advantages - combining tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad into one package. Any feedback from those who use them?

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP IN MAKING THIS A CONSTRUCTIVE RESOURCE FOR NEW/INEXPERIENCED MOTO-CAMPERS TO ASK QUESTIONS, AND FOR MORE EXPERIENCED RIDERS TO "MENTOR".

My recent camping trip to Raccoon Creek State Park, PA, just east of the northern tip of West Virginia. First camping trip on the Burgman. I made a small loop up to Canton Ohio to have breakfast with my sister the next day.

Everything laid out for the trip. Riding gear is to the left of the map. Cool temps (High 60* Low 45* overnight). To the right (in order) are the camera bag (Canon Sx160), backpack with change of clothes and toiletries, fleece sleeping bag liner, REI Clipper tent (with my new Alps Nimbus sleeping pad in the foreground), and trusty old Coleman sleeping bag.

Everything to the right of the maps (except the sleeping bag) fit easily under the seat. (see photo below)

Tent, sleeping pad (plus my old REI thin pad just in case), fleece liner, tool kit, fit under the seat with room to spare.

In goes the back pack with change of clothes and misc stuff/ toiletries.

Coleman sleeping bag straps on top of the tail bag (an old Nelson Riggs 850 saddlebag). The tailbag is for shedding layers when it's warmer and for rain gear and drinking water (two 1-liter bottles).

At the entrance to the park. The 100-mile trip was uneventful - pleasant sailing! Love the Burgman!

Picked a campsite at the outer end of a loop so I only had two campers within 100 feet of me. Nice and quiet.

The Alps Nimbus inflatable sleeping pad was nice! It has a built-in inflator where you open a valve and do "CPR" presses for about 2 minutes. No blowing - no headache.

Nice view of the lake at the park.

Since I didn't pack food, I headed out the gate to the nearby pizza shack.

As opposed to Valley GIrls???

Nice enough inside. Several high school kids were busy making pizza to pay for their souped up cars outside.

Good pizza. Only $7. (Plus a $3 tip for gas money)

One of the many attractions on Rt 30 (Lincoln Highway). This one was in Ohio just east of Canton. This is why I avoid the Interstates - you miss stuff like this.

OK - Any helpful comments/suggestions would be great to start this thread moving.

Thanks!

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 10-04-2014 at 03:39 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,049
You can get a cheap, 30 bucks at Walmart, down filled sleeping bag that will pack to about 1/3 the size of your current bag.

Something like this setup is cheap and packs small.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
I like Coleman Multi-fuel.. You can burn gasoline in them too. Very handy when on extended tour on a airhead or any gravity fed system.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371

bmwloco screwed with this post 10-04-2014 at 06:25 AM
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Very interesting ...man am I jealous of that trunk under the Burgmans seat !
Old 10-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by mica View Post
You can get a cheap, 30 bucks at Walmart, down filled sleeping bag that will pack to about 1/3 the size of your current bag.

Something like this setup is cheap and packs small.
That looks nice. What brand sleeping bag are you talking about? I looked but all the bags at our WM were large. Of course, it's the end of the season and the camping shelves are now filled with hunting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwloco View Post
I like Coleman Multi-fuel.. You can burn gasoline in them too. Very handy when on extended tour on a airhead or any gravity fed system.
I will check that out, but the Burgman is EFI, so I would have to carry fuel. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods wizard View Post
Very interesting ...man am I jealous of that trunk under the Burgmans seat !
The storage space was a huge consideration when I looked at the bike. I'm spoiled now - like having 2 saddlebags worth of storage under the seat. And it's lockable.

www.RidingWV.com
Old 10-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,049
Ozark something. Mountain or Trail. I don't see it on their website but have seen it in stores.

Sent from my Note 3
Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,727
Works great and really small.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Bac.../dp/B004U8CP88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 794
good place to start collecting information. I tend to lean towards purchasing very high quality gear at reduced prices whenever you can. just keep an eye on craigslist, reioutlet.com and sierra trading post to name a few. Good quality gear will last years and years and perform better than lower end gear.

I've spent hundreds of nights in tents, sleeping bags, etc. and worked in the outdoor industry for a long time. that's been many years ago but my gear is still going strong. Here's some gear I use on my bike when camping (minimalist, ultralight setup with a single dry bag on the back of my 950).

hammock- I have a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL hammock. two layers, so my thermarest fits between the two layers. Edge fly for rain/wind protection. stuffs down small and is ultralight. http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/

sleeping bag- I have a marmot for super cold camping, but bought a north face golden kazoo locally on sale for about $150. great for three season camping. should last a really long time and stuffs down the size of a 1 liter bottle.

pad- thermarest neoair trekker. packs down really small, but comfortable.

stove- hard to go wrong with anything made by MSR across the board. I have a dragonfly or something like that. I also have whisperlight intl and XGK but don't really use those much these days. Want to check out the cup/vertical cook kits (jetboil) for just boiling water and eating freeze dried dinners (mountain house or ApineAire are the two best if you want "add boiling water, wait and eat" meals). I have an older MSR cook kit, teflon lined for easy cleaning (wipe with a papertowel and it's pretty much clean). I just take what I need, usually a pan, lid and bowl to boil water).

chair- gotta have a chair. REI has a new ultralight chair, FlexLite.

I'm working on water filtration. I've used pumps and have an MSR waterworks but firends have been using the gravity fed systems and I'm interested in the UV light "pens" that are on the market now.

hopefully that'll get you started, but like I said, make a list of stuff you would llike to have and then start looking for deals on them. scour craigslist, look for sales, and buy good quality stuff if you can. MSR, REI (for the money it's hard to beat, make sure you join the co-op, it's worth it for the 2-3 times a year you get the 20% off coupon), Marmot, North Face, Jetboil, Big Agnes, etc.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #9
IHCB33
<FACE><

Oddometer: 4
Hammock HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
(NOTE: I thought of posting this in "Trip Planning", but I'm in this area of the forum most often and know many of you Southeast FF's.)

2) I've seen many moto-campers using hammocks. I can see the advantages - combining tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad into one package. Any feedback from those who use them?
Love to see some chatter and example PICs on Moto-Hammock-Camping.

Newbee to ADV riding and hammock-camping. Experienced 'cruiser' rider and 'toy-hauler' camping. OK......I know, big difference but just giving experience level. Speaking of experience, last dirt bike owned was a MR-175 (hummmm, that was a long time ago).

GOAL: Father/son ADV outings 2015, climaxing with TAT 2016. He is 16, just getting his DL and a handful of times on a CFR150 after a two-day factory dirt-bike school (1day basic dirt track, 1day basic trail riding). He has good natural ability shown and know that with a 2015 focus on 'training experiences' he (and I) will be able to make the 2016 TAT trip for his HS Grad adventure.

OK TMI for this forum thread maybe, but again back-ground for the posters. So I will get to the MOTO-CAMPING Q's:

Q1: Is a sleeping bag as under/top quilt (by slicing a couple of slots and reinforcing the cuts) to slip the hammock through and hang a good option? Why, cuz quilts have to be suspended somehow and take up more room if I am going to be carrying a sleeping bag anyway. I am in the process of cutting a cheepo bag and testing. Ideas/experiences?

Q2: best practices for hang anchoring when tree's are not avail. Any bike to bike ideas or poles/support that attach to the bikes directly to hang from?

These 2 Q's to start. Thanks for any help.

SpeedyR, thank you for the good start and the initial hammock hope. Looking forward to more from you!!!!!!!

<
IHCB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

not the greatest image but you get the idea.

I use a double layer hammock (warbonnet) so I put my thermarest in between the two layers. no need for an underquilt as the thermarest provides the insulation under me. I use a standard sleeping bag in the hammock. If you really wanted lightweight, a standard hammock, under quilt and top quilt would probably be lighter, but I like being able to use my stuff for standard "car" camping or backpacking when I use a tent (not very often any more).

so far I haven't run into many places without trees but I'm sure they are out there, especially out west. I think the sleeping pad, sleeping bag and the tarp from the hammock would be fine for this use and you could use a pole and a bike to support the tarp. might need something under you if it's raining a lot? or a bivy bag. I don't think you can support a person in a hammock from something like a bike but who knows?

crummy photo from last fall near Talladega AL camping off the 950. I had a tank bag and a larger Ortleib dry bag strapped to the rear with my gear in it. I kept it very simple that weekend- hammock, stove, small cook kit, bag, pad, change of clothes, inflatible pillow.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
PURPOSE: I would like this thread to give those of us new to moto-camping (or wanting to start) an opportunity to post questions and show photos...
There is a long running thread in Equipment on this topic:
let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
Thank you for sharing that link - I looked around but missed that thread.

Some good info posted here already - Thanks!!

www.RidingWV.com
Old 10-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
not the greatest image but you get the idea.

I use a double layer hammock (warbonnet) so I put my thermarest in between the two layers. no need for an underquilt as the thermarest provides the insulation under me. I use a standard sleeping bag in the hammock. If you really wanted lightweight, a standard hammock, under quilt and top quilt would probably be lighter, but I like being able to use my stuff for standard "car" camping or backpacking when I use a tent (not very often any more).

so far I haven't run into many places without trees but I'm sure they are out there, especially out west. I think the sleeping pad, sleeping bag and the tarp from the hammock would be fine for this use and you could use a pole and a bike to support the tarp. might need something under you if it's raining a lot? or a bivy bag. I don't think you can support a person in a hammock from something like a bike but who knows?

crummy photo from last fall near Talladega AL camping off the 950. I had a tank bag and a larger Ortleib dry bag strapped to the rear with my gear in it. I kept it very simple that weekend- hammock, stove, small cook kit, bag, pad, change of clothes, inflatible pillow.

O man, you guys have me really thinking about getting a hammock.

Question - How do I convince my wife to let me spend more $$ on camping stuff?

www.RidingWV.com
Old 10-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #14
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

depends upon your relationship but a good bet is to offer to let her to go the spa/shopping while you are off camping, or offer to take her with you! :)

I usually try to get things second hand to see if I like them and see what direction I want to go. I got mine second hand but you'll find the warbonnet stuff doesn't depreciate much if at all, because of the wait times for new stuff. so if you buy it and don't like it, you can usually sell it for a few dollars less than what you paid for it...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php?
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #15
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
O man, you guys have me really thinking about getting a hammock.

Question - How do I convince my wife to let me spend more $$ on camping stuff?

Simple> Don't tell her .It's sooo much easier to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote