ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #1486
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond
Nice catch! And no that must be just a medium sized one because there was a story in the Dispatch last year quoting a firefighter training for underwater rescue that said he saw a catfish bigger then he was, and he said 'screw this' and exited the water rapidly...I would too!
There are rumors that man-sized type fishies peruse the botton waters around the damn at Smith Mountain Lake. I will also tell you that I did see a catfish caught in the Little Kanawa River over in WV that filled the back of a pick up truck, laying diagonal from corner to opposite corner one time I was over there. Short of a record Halibut(sp?) I saw once when I was working down in Hampton Roads, that fish was the largest I have ever seen in my life. If you have ever ridden along the Little Kanawa, and knowing just where it came out, that in itself was utterly amazing.

There ARE creatures amongst us we can't comprehend, nor should we try.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #1487
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus
 
mikeinrichmond's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young
There ARE creatures amongst us we can't comprehend, nor should we try.
You mean like this?... Sorry Rich, couldn't resist...

From goofy
__________________
'01 ZG1000 (Big Blue)
COG # 8880
mikeinrichmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #1488
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond
You mean like this?... Sorry Rich, couldn't resist...

From goofy
Uh, yea.

Mike, made my day. That's funny as shit!

Poifect!
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #1489
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer
 
MADSTROM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Powhatan, Va
Oddometer: 1,374
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider929
I don't know why but the spring bike fever hits me pretty hard this time every year. It doesn't matter if you already have a bike or four. You just can't not look around for another bike. This year I felt the need to go retro. I know, I already own the W650 but it's just not powerful enough for blasting the Powhite Pkwy. every day. So, I love the bike but need more power, solution, Triumph Bonneville. 865cc and 70lbs heavier. Perfect. So now I have a Bonneville and I wave goodbye to the 990 Adventure Thursday. Wow, I don't think you could find two more different bikes. I like the KTM, great motorcycle, but my heart still belongs to the old bikes I used to day dream about when I was a kid. Of course this site is much to blame. I sold the 990 and bought the Bonnie all through Advrider. So there, it's Advriders fault, not mine. Let the farkeling begin.

Nice choice Gary I really looked hard at them and I like the Scrambler too. More details please and where's the pictures.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #1490
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..
 
Jeff Munn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Petersburg, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young
There are rumors that man-sized type fishies peruse the botton waters around the damn at Smith Mountain Lake. I will also tell you that I did see a catfish caught in the Little Kanawa River over in WV that filled the back of a pick up truck, laying diagonal from corner to opposite corner one time I was over there.
There ARE creatures amongst us we can't comprehend, nor should we try.
Like this report from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries?


Catfish (Blue)


The tidal James River provides the best fishing for blue catfish in the state, and recently anglers from around the country have begun to travel to Virginia to fish for the abundant large blue catfish found here. During the years 2000 � 2003 over 3600 citations (angler trophy awards) were issued to anglers who landed their trophy blue catfish on the tidal James. Hundreds of 30 to 60 pound blue catfish are pulled from the tidal James each year. During the winter of 2004-2005 several fish over 70 pounds were caught by anglers, and in June of 2006 a new state record blue catfish fish was landed weighing in at 95.7 pounds. To find these jumbo blue cats, seek out structure (remnants of old piers, existing piers, or downed trees) adjacent to channel drop-offs. Sunken barges and other submerged structure in deep water also hold concentrations of blue cats. Although frozen bait can be used, fresh threadfin shad or gizzard shad caught with a cast net, white perch, or eels are your best bets. During summer most large blue cats are caught at night, otherwise they can be caught anytime - day or night. While most citation-size blue cats from the James are caught between Dutch Gap and Wards Creek, opportunities to catch catfish can be found from Hog Island to Richmond. In addition to blue cats, channel cats are caught throughout the tidal James system and in the spring many flathead catfish are caught at where the falls of the James meet the head-of-tide, upstream of Ancarrow Landing, in Richmond.


jeff
__________________
Ride to challenge yourself and to expand your horizons. But be warned, once you've ridden beyond the U.S. border, you might begin to realize that the world doesn't revolve around us......

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #1491
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer
 
MADSTROM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Powhatan, Va
Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn
Like this report from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries?


Catfish (Blue)


The tidal James River provides the best fishing for blue catfish in the state, and recently anglers from around the country have begun to travel to Virginia to fish for the abundant large blue catfish found here. During the years 2000 � 2003 over 3600 citations (angler trophy awards) were issued to anglers who landed their trophy blue catfish on the tidal James. Hundreds of 30 to 60 pound blue catfish are pulled from the tidal James each year. During the winter of 2004-2005 several fish over 70 pounds were caught by anglers, and in June of 2006 a new state record blue catfish fish was landed weighing in at 95.7 pounds. To find these jumbo blue cats, seek out structure (remnants of old piers, existing piers, or downed trees) adjacent to channel drop-offs. Sunken barges and other submerged structure in deep water also hold concentrations of blue cats. Although frozen bait can be used, fresh threadfin shad or gizzard shad caught with a cast net, white perch, or eels are your best bets. During summer most large blue cats are caught at night, otherwise they can be caught anytime - day or night. While most citation-size blue cats from the James are caught between Dutch Gap and Wards Creek, opportunities to catch catfish can be found from Hog Island to Richmond. In addition to blue cats, channel cats are caught throughout the tidal James system and in the spring many flathead catfish are caught at where the falls of the James meet the head-of-tide, upstream of Ancarrow Landing, in Richmond.

jeff
A friend of mine at work set a new world record at Dutch Gap last year. 64 lbs on 4 lb line that officially tested out a 6 lb test for the Official Word Record.

PS - His name is Fred Cousins.

MADSTROM screwed with this post 04-01-2009 at 05:32 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #1492
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.
 
Greenflyfarmer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Oddometer: 1,663
Gary

Hell if I would have known we could have traded my Triumph for the KTM and called it even. The Thunderbird ain't a Bonny but squint and you're close. It would have saved that boy from Baton Rouge a trip.
__________________
I ain't a going without my hog, my gun, my whisky and my Bible.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #1493
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rider929's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Central Virginia
Oddometer: 358
I don't know how to post pics on this site but if you go over to bikes for sale and do a search for "janner" you will see a thread for a 2008 Bonneville Black. That's the bike. There are even B&W's at the end of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM
Nice choice Gary I really looked hard at them and I like the Scrambler too. More details please and where's the pictures.
__________________
00 W650, 82 XS 650, 74 Commando
rider929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #1494
HBN
is car free
 
HBN's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 11,847

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=janner
__________________
Lost with Mike
Only those that go would know. - WayneJ
12' Ruckus, 01' R1150GS, 75' XL250
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #1495
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rider929's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Central Virginia
Oddometer: 358
When I was a teen my family would camp at a freinds place up on the James in the Buckingham area. He would set lines out baited with balls of wax and bread. We would go back the next day and haul them in. They weighed in the twenties. I had no idea that a fish that large would live in water that shallow. They were big enough that I was afraid to put my feet in the bottom of the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM
A friend of mine at work set a new world record at Dutch Gap last year. 64 lbs on 4 lb line that officially tested out a 6 lb test for the Official Word Record.

PS - His name is Fred Cousins.
__________________
00 W650, 82 XS 650, 74 Commando
rider929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #1496
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rider929's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Central Virginia
Oddometer: 358
Yep! That's the one. Thanks HBurgNinja, I'll learn how one of these days. I didn't get the wind screen. Bit too big for me. He tossed in two oil filters, a gallon of oil, and an extra set of stock mufflers. I got the stock seat as well. The solo is more cumfy. I had to laugh at myself too. In my mind I made the Bonnie out to be a much bigger bike than my "W". But side by side they are almost identical. In fact the seat height on the Bonnie is an inch lower than the "W"'s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
__________________
00 W650, 82 XS 650, 74 Commando
rider929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #1497
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer
 
MADSTROM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Powhatan, Va
Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider929
Yep! That's the one. Thanks HBurgNinja, I'll learn how one of these days. I didn't get the wind screen. Bit too big for me. He tossed in two oil filters, a gallon of oil, and an extra set of stock mufflers. I got the stock seat as well. The solo is more cumfy. I had to laugh at myself too. In my mind I made the Bonnie out to be a much bigger bike than my "W". But side by side they are almost identical. In fact the seat height on the Bonnie is an inch lower than the "W"'s.
That's PURDY...It's set up to tour on. Did it come with bags or just the racks for them? It even has a skid plate so you can ride gravel roads with it ifin you see an interesting one.

The Hepco Becker bags would look really nice on it.

I'm envious. That's going to be a sweet ride. I love the all Black .

MADSTROM screwed with this post 04-01-2009 at 07:48 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #1498
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rider929's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Central Virginia
Oddometer: 358
Yea, we could have done that. Oh well too late now. Actually when the TBird sport came out I thought I was going to have to buy one. Great looking bike and a great motor. But I love the sound of the twin. So much that I ordered a set of mufflers today that will let her rumble a little louder. As I said, let the farkling begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer
Hell if I would have known we could have traded my Triumph for the KTM and called it even. The Thunderbird ain't a Bonny but squint and you're close. It would have saved that boy from Baton Rouge a trip.
__________________
00 W650, 82 XS 650, 74 Commando
rider929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #1499
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rider929's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Central Virginia
Oddometer: 358
It has the Hepco & Becker rack but no bags. I have been looking around though. He also gave me a set of supports for soft bags. I would ride this on gravel roads. It's pretty nimble. The location of the oil filter does concern me a little though. It hangs down directly under the transmission.

uote=MADSTROM]That's PURDY...It's set up to tour on. Did it come with bags or just the racks for them? It even has a skid plate so you can ride gravel roads with it ifin you see an interesting one. [/quote]
__________________
00 W650, 82 XS 650, 74 Commando
rider929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:52 AM   #1500
SRMN8R
Down & Out
 
SRMN8R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Powhatan, VA
Oddometer: 2,964
That's a beautiful bike!
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014