ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #15481
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,331
If I didn't have to work the Lynard Skynard concert in Crewe I would stop by in the blue and gray. Oh well, maybe next time. Have fun ya'll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Since things that get put off, tend to not happen, let's do it. How about this Fri evening? Greg and Tony can make it. I'm thinking we can have an impromptu ADVrider get-together early evening till ??? BYOB. I will have some non-alcoholic drinks. I'll throw some Nathan's dogs on the roller. Maybe have a big pot'o beans. Everyone can bring something to munch on if they wish. This will be very communal and depend on everyone helping.

Friday evening is also the monthly "Friday for the Arts" late night in Old Towne. Stores open late. Live music all over. Art exhibits open. It is a nice couples evening to be out in old towne. So think about bringing your wives if you wish.

The other consideration is that Mother's Day is Sunday, so a Saturday night party might be a bit much. Next weekend is the Morton's Spring Fling.

So this Friday we can then tell lies and kick tires, shoot pool, or watch any moto-movie you want. I have a blu-ray player and large TV.

Anyone interested?

Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #15482
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,043
Emergency roll call for Chris, I just passed an accident scene on 95 just north of 288 and there was a mangled state troopers car.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #15483
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 653
Friday

So let me get this straight, we can stack Pho, Skynard, and FFTA/Pool at Jeff's? IN!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #15484
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
I'm still waiting to get all the pics from Tony and Greg, but in the meantime I wanted you all to understand just what dirtdoctor did this weekend. I am still in awe.

He took this piece of dream moto engineering.....

with a massive 200cc engine, skinny 3" street tires, and clip-on handlebars that were narrower than my ass is wide, and rode it in the rain, thru mud, on dirt roads, thru water crossings, and thru a state forest on a "SEASONAL ROAD" that was every bit as hard an any road in the Monongahela. There was even one hill that was about 100 yards up, which was nothing but deep ruts and loose rock, which would have made most people on a GS pucker.

The funny thing was that with the clip-ons, he couldn't even stand up on the pegs! Still, he motored on. I am impressed with his skills, and his willingness to do that to his bike.

You guys are very kind.When originally purchased my intention from the beginning was for it to be a rider, never a "trailer queen" even as beautiful as it is. This bike has gained a new level of respect in my eyes as I saw what it and I were capable of in the Giro. Before the event I anticipated predominantly twisty country roads and lots of elevation changes with a few connecting hard packed gravel roads. What I found were as Jeff described very challenging off road trails and everything in between. The offroad GS riding I've been doing helped a great deal in the slippery mud and rock strewn trails. The MotoGiro was fanatastic and the little Duc performed like a champ. The riders Jeff listed rode together as a team (like the Three Musketeers) and we all finished the entire race. I would encourage anyone wanting to try a new adventure to get an older, small displacement bike and join us for the next one...you won't be dissapointed.

In, for Fridays' ADV/MotoGiro Gathering at Jeff's Classic Bike and Pool Hall!

DirtDoctor screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 06:54 PM
DirtDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #15485
Star-Bellied Sneetch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,739
I'm probably in for both the gathering and one or both of the Pho. Just had Pho today, in fact. Can never have too much of it!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #15486
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 938
Per eddy's post: the trooper (who is not named yet) is fine. Minor injuries.. Checked out at the scene and released. Sounds like it was a motorcycle chase..?

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #15487
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
You guys are very kind.When originally purchased my intention from the beginning was for it to be a rider, never a "trailer queen" even as beautiful as it is. This bike has gained a new level of respect in my eyes as I saw what it and I were capable of in the Giro. Before the event I anticipated predominantly twisty country roads and lots of elevation changes with a few connecting hard packed gravel roads. What I found were as Jeff described very challenging off road trails and everything in between. The offroad GS riding I've been doing helped a great deal in the slippery mud and rock strewn trails. The MotoGiro was fanatastic and the little Duc performed like a champ. The riders Jeff listed rode together as a team (like the Three Musketeers) and we all finished the entire race. I would encourage anyone wanting to try a new adventure to get an older, small displacement bike and join us for the next one...you won't be dissapointed.

In, for Fridays' ADV/MotoGiro Gathering at Jeff's Classic Bike and Pool Hall!
Kind of wish I didn't sell my 1975 CL 360 K1 Scrambler last year.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #15488
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Kind of wish I didn't sell my 1975 CL 360 K1 Scrambler last year.
It would have been close, but not allowed. Pre-1969 and 305cc or less only. The Hondas would have to have the sloped engine style, not the upright later engines.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #15489
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,331
Yeah had a few phone calls about it last night. Glad everyone was ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Per eddy's post: the trooper (who is not named yet) is fine. Minor injuries.. Checked out at the scene and released. Sounds like it was a motorcycle chase..?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #15490
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
It would have been close, but not allowed. Pre-1969 and 305cc or less only. The Hondas would have to have the sloped engine style, not the upright later engines.
I had a '67 CL160 scrambler for years. Sold it 2010. Got it from a friend whose dad was original owner. That thing woulda been great for the motogiro.. Not a beauty, but it was a strong runner for a 160.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #15491
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I had a '67 CL160 scrambler for years. Sold it 2010. Got it from a friend whose dad was original owner. That thing woulda been great for the motogiro.. Not a beauty, but it was a strong runner for a 160.

That would have been an ideal bike for the MotoGiro. I've been very low keyed looking for one but have not found the right one yet.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #15492
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Teeter, I'm good for Friday. Might be better for a couple of other folks too.

Gretchen MAY be done with her finals by then, so will check to see if she can come too. Also have a couple of Cambodian customers who love the place, will check with them also even.

It'll be a partee!!

I didn't go last time (and can't find the posts.) Which Pho place is it? Pho 79?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #15493
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
I didn't go last time (and can't find the posts.) Which Pho place is it? Pho 79?
Pho So 1
6403 Rigsby Rd
Richmond, VA 23226

Old 05-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #15494
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 845
Pho So Good -- Me Love You Long Time

Can't make it tomorrow (Thursday), but I will be Pho'ing with ya'll on Friday! 11:30, I assume?

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #15495
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Pho So.. Got it

Cool. I haven't been to Pho So yet. Looking forward to it!

All the pics of Greg's Duc should be removed by the way. They are a complete productivity killer. Every time I come to this page I scroll down to get to the bottom and that gorgeous Elite catches my eye. I stop. I stare. I drool a little.

The MotoGiro looks like a great event. I bet you guys had a blast. I love seeing the Dream out there. I used to have a beautiful, red 66 CA160. Damnit.. now I want another one. (That one ended up in Hawaii.)