ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #15721
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 917
Weekend

Wish I could make the CASS rally this weekend but I have to work until Saturday. Sunday I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach with the family. If anyone ends up down there please say hello. We have plenty of room.

Eppa ...... Thanks for helping me with the BMW. I'll feel more comfortable riding the GS down to SC.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #15722
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Its here, its here. Now I just need to get installed. You know the 3 gallon tank looks pretty small. I guess the two gallon tank will look microscopic once I get the shrouds off it. Now to get something to drain the old tank into while I swap the fuel pump. That will be tomorrow nights project if the weather is nice.
Keihin FCR-MX pumper is coming! Might be here Friday.. otherwise TUESDAY ..stupid holiday weekend.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #15723
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
wow...sumpin ain't right, maybe he did'nt drain it completlely?
overfilling is bad....kinda like a reverse-hydrolock....
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r...ange-help.html

that's 3.804078 QT's.

bad things happen when you overfill even 8oz.

Let say, for sake of conversation, that he filled with the appropriate amt (or at least the manufacturer's listed capacity.) I trust that he simply said the wrong number when he was telling me about it.... The question becomes this: Have you you ever heard of (or experienced) warm oil not draining out of the engine through the drain port or the filter connection? I don't think he measured the output, but I trust he knew the difference between "almost no oil" and 3.5+ qts.

The other question is this: IF there was still.. say.. 3 qts of oil(sludge?) in the engine/pan before he re-filled it would ANOTHER 3.8 qts fit without overflowing at the fill port?

Regardless, I think I need to pay him a visit before any more damage is done.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #15724
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
A. Good thing my lunchtime commute home is only 15 minutes long. There is no way my gear would have kept me dry for another minute in that torrential downpour.

B. On my way way out of work a coworker stopped me to ask about a problem with his bike. He said it's a 2005 Kawa 636. I assume that's a Ninja variant..? ZX-6R? Anyway, here's the background and problem:
1. He rides very little - maybe 500 miles / year
2. He changes the oil himself every year regardless of miles traveled.
3. While changing the oil this weekend, he was able to drain out much less than a qt. (He did warm it up first and said it was running smooth and quiet.)
4. He had no leaks or smoking prior to this.
5. Not knowing what else to do he continued with the change.
6. No excess oil leaked out when he removed the filter (killing my theory that maybe the oil drain port was clogged.)
7. He was able to add the recommended amount of oil (4-4.5 qts) "without overfilling" though he says the site glass is "full" and the oil looks black.
8. He took it for a ride and noticed the occasional plume of smoke from the exhaust
9. Once, while accelerating he heard a "pop" and there was a huge plume of smoke, but it was still running fine.
10. Rode it home, parked it, now it won't start... says it makes a "nasty noise" but no go.

Any ideas what's going on? Obviously he needs to get it looked at unless he wants to dig in himself. I'm thinking he should drain the oil, check the plugs and airbox for starters. (edit: I'm also wondering if the plumes of smoke indicate that excess oil pressure was already destroying the seals.)

If the engine was full, what would keep it from draining? Could 8-9 qts really fit in there? Should he sell it to me for $100 to save himself further headache?
Most Kawasaki's have two drain plugs, one under the crankshaft and one under the transmission part of the engine. Me thinks he found the one under the crank, that area held about.5 - .75 of a quart on my Connie.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #15725
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Well.... I called Morton's today and they said buy a new rim. At first I said ok then I decided to see what I could do to fix it. Off to Eppa's I went. Blow torch, lots of heat, lots of banging and in the end this is what we got. Its not perfect but dang close. If you didn't know it was there you probably wouldn't see it.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

You be the judge. I took it out today hit some curves as well as the highway. Smooth as silk. Oh, We also inspected the tire to see if there was any rubber damage. No signs of any damage.
I'm not sure heating the wheel was a good thing, it's aluminum, heat changes the state of aluminum and makes it brittle. The area was already damaged when it was stretched by the rock which weakened the area. I think I would have attempted to use a rubber or soft faced BFH to adjust it back into place. That's my 0.02 anyway.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #15726
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
Most Kawasaki's have two drain plugs, one under the crankshaft and one under the transmission part of the engine. Me thinks he found the one under the crank, that area held about.5 - .75 of a quart on my Connie.

Ah you so smart, been following this and forgot about that, that does make sense if it does have two (as in Connie) and he drained the wrong one, I say wrong one cause I never drained that on Connie to hard to get at and it was only like 8oz or so.
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #15727
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 917
Bent Rim

kwn306 ....
I understand. We thought about that. Its just a repair until I can find a nice spoke wheel to replace it with. As big as the rock was that I hit .... I'm not sure the outcome would have been any different even if it had been a spoke wheel. I was probably doing about 30 mph up a very steep and rocky incline when it pushed me about a foot sideways. With the momentum I had going the big old GS just kept going. Oh .... we had a BFH but we used a 6" 4x4 to cushion the blow to the wheel itself.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #15728
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
I'm not sure heating the wheel was a good thing, it's aluminum, heat changes the state of aluminum and makes it brittle. The area was already damaged when it was stretched by the rock which weakened the area. I think I would have attempted to use a rubber or soft faced BFH to adjust it back into place. That's my 0.02 anyway.
Good luck beating on a cold rim. All you get are dents and damage-and tired. Rims are soft on purpose
so they will bend; not break. They are so large and absorb heat so well that all I can really do is warm the area
to be straightened, but it's enough to allow it to move a little. I've done 4-5 wheels so far.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #15729
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
A. Good thing my lunchtime commute home is only 15 minutes long. There is no way my gear would have kept me dry for another minute in that torrential downpour.

B. On my way way out of work a coworker stopped me to ask about a problem with his bike. He said it's a 2005 Kawa 636. I assume that's a Ninja variant..? ZX-6R? Anyway, here's the background and problem:
1. He rides very little - maybe 500 miles / year
2. He changes the oil himself every year regardless of miles traveled.
3. While changing the oil this weekend, he was able to drain out much less than a qt. (He did warm it up first and said it was running smooth and quiet.)
4. He had no leaks or smoking prior to this.
5. Not knowing what else to do he continued with the change.
6. No excess oil leaked out when he removed the filter (killing my theory that maybe the oil drain port was clogged.)
7. He was able to add the recommended amount of oil (4-4.5 qts) "without overfilling" though he says the site glass is "full" and the oil looks black.
8. He took it for a ride and noticed the occasional plume of smoke from the exhaust
9. Once, while accelerating he heard a "pop" and there was a huge plume of smoke, but it was still running fine.
10. Rode it home, parked it, now it won't start... says it makes a "nasty noise" but no go.

Any ideas what's going on? Obviously he needs to get it looked at unless he wants to dig in himself. I'm thinking he should drain the oil, check the plugs and airbox for starters. (edit: I'm also wondering if the plumes of smoke indicate that excess oil pressure was already destroying the seals.)

If the engine was full, what would keep it from draining? Could 8-9 qts really fit in there? Should he sell it to me for $100 to save himself further headache?
Tell him to call me. I don't mind "working" on bikes on the phone; I do it most every day.
804-769-2324 I work on all brands of motorcycles, some scooters, and the occasional
4-wheeler, 7 days a week when I'm home.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #15730
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Quote:
This makes sense. Smart! I'll talk to him and/or check it when I go over there.

Funny (embarrassing) story: My wife's '04 Passat ran synthetic oil and VW dealer was charging $90-100 for a change. I decided to save some money and do it myself once. I warmed it up, then crawled under it and loosened up the nice shiny drain bolt under the engine and drained the oil. I changed the filter then started adding oil. I tend to check the dipstick early and often as I don't ever want to overfill, so after 2 qts I gave it a quick check and it was already WAY past full. "Oh shit." So I thought about and quickly realized that I had (you guessed it) drained the tranny. So I went out, bought 2 fresh qts of engine oil and the required 7 pints of synthetic gear lube (at maybe $9.00 / pint.) I got home, drained the engine oil properly (you have to remove 4 bolts and a hatch cover to get to the oil pan drain... jerks) and finished the engine oil change. I start searching for the tranny fill port to no avail. Call the dealer... Here's the best part. The drain port under the car is ALSO THE DAMN FILL PORT! Rather than flip the car over, I had it towed to the dealer. My effort to save $50 cost me $300.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #15731
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
... Here's the best part. The drain port under the car is ALSO THE DAMN FILL PORT! Rather than flip the car over, I had it towed to the dealer. My effort to save $50 cost me $300.
Don't feel bad. In the mid 80s - broke and in college I attempted to PM my high mile VW Jetta. I drained the gearbox oil (5 speed) and refilled it through fill hole, which turned out to be just a hole into the bell housing. So I filled up my clutch bell housing with gear oil. Once I realized the mistake and drained it all out.. too late. clutch slipping like crazy. Not able to afford to have it fixed I poured a shitload of Brake kleen down the hole, ran it, drained it, and had to make do with slippy-clutch for a year or so. Definitely not winning any races after that. Or going up steep hills..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #15732
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,132
Quote:

not anymore....conni seemed to be the last of that breed.
C14 is single bolt,
the ZX-6r 636 is also, single drain bolt down bottom
look here, under oilpan.
https://www.kawasakiepc.com/SystemSe...TOKEN=58967831

as for if you could fit 8 qts in....I dunno, but I have never looked closely at that engine, feasibly you could get 6 in, I suppose.....the sump is a deep-well area, and there is a internal suction filter dipping down there, the filter is a spin on in the front of the crankcase. But I have to think it would eject oil thru the breather assembly, and up into the airbox, lookingh at the diagram of the crankcase on Kawdotcom.

owners manual here
http://kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.asp...HOWVEHTABS%3d1

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...7&lang_code=EN

MAN OF BLUES screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 01:32 PM
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #15733
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,069
and I already knew I was a geek

Teeter, obviously we are all intrigued by your friends' bike and his oil issues. If he just gets it fixed and we don't find out what happened, we may all be forever left unable to deal with the lingering questions. Please impart to your friend that we are all hopeless bike geeks and have an unexplainable need to know what happened.

I already knew I was a bit of a geek, but now I wonder if I need help. Is there a motorcycle geeks anonymous?
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #15734
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
not anymore....conni seemed to be the last of that breed.
C14 is single bolt,
the ZX-6r 636 is also, single drain bolt down bottom
Bummer.. I was loving that possibility.

I'm hoping to head over there Sunday to check it out. I found the shop manual online so I should be able to tear it apart pretty quick. I plan on draining the oil, pulling the air box, checking/replacing the air filter, checking/replacing the plugs, and finishing the oil change if I can get it all back together. Anything else I should check while it's apart?

I'll keep you guys on speed dial for sure.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #15735
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,964
Richmond can rest easy now

Superman is on the way home. Guy is heading out this morning after spending two great days here. Yesterday we rode to Rella's for lunch. Did about 230 miles, 40 of which were on dirt/gravel, and almost half of it in the driving rain. It was great. Franklin to Monterey, to Mill Creek, thru Helvetia, out the back way thru Pickens, into Holly River SP. Then home thru Pickens again, Kumbrabow SP, and back 250 and thru Bluegrass.

Other than riding thru a stream that was flooding the road in Holly River SP, the highlight of the day was seeing a groundhog sitting on TOP of a fencepost along 220. I did not know they could climb like that. He seemed to be the king of his world though.

So rest easy Richmond. Your mechanical answer man will be back on the forum this eveniing. I'd post some pics, but I forgot my password to my server for uploading stuff. Will do it when I get back next week.

Cheers from Pendleton County
jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote