ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #16171
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
fun place I haven't been there since '05. pics at http://buddy.smugmug.com/Travel/Whee...800836&k=h7doh

when down there be sure to hit 209 from Hot Springs, NC towards I-40, great road
I have been on that road a number of years ago. And yes, NICE!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #16172
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
For all you lovers of old bikes, I'd like to propose a 2-3 day ride in the not-to-distant future to visit a very interesting place: The Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley, NC.
Man, I've always wanted to go there. Any idea on a time frame? Would it be a weekend trip?

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #16173
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Man, I've always wanted to go there. Any idea on a time frame? Would it be a weekend trip?
"Discuss amongst yourselves."

I'm open anytime I'm free.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #16174
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
For all you lovers of old bikes, I'd like to propose a 2-3 day ride in the not-to-distant future to visit a very interesting place: The Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley, NC.

http://wheelsthroughtime.com/

I'd love to check the place out but it never works out for me. Over roughly the past 10 or so years I've tried several times to get in there and they've been closed. I think they have some odd hours so plan ahead.

--edit:
off the website:
March 29 - November 26, 2012
Open: Thursday-Monday
Hours: 9a.m.-5p.m.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #16175
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
off the website:
March 29 - November 26, 2012
Open: Thursday-Monday
Hours: 9a.m.-5p.m.

Ok, so a 3 day weekend trip is a possibility then. Leave on Friday morning, enjoy the museum on Saturday, and roll back to RIC on Sunday.

Ahhh, but when.. Might be August before I personally have a weekend free. Maybe if we choose a mid-August weekend we'd all have enough time to block off the days and actually make it happen.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #16176
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Ah, but besides being a frugal sort in the first place (I'm a COGger, remember), I'm also now retired and a more-frugal retiree to boot.

The place sounds really nice, and I'm sure I'll succumb to the Siren's call one day and give it a shot (no pun intended there either).

Hey I'm tighter'n all get out and I'll come right out and say so.. If I'm not out in a field, I shoot at Ft Lee for free. bring your own rounds and targets = .22's and paper plates

try three teenagers in the house, two driving, one in college with the others soon to follow.. You'll be shooting tin cans off a log too.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #16177
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Ok, so a 3 day weekend trip is a possibility then. Leave on Friday morning, enjoy the museum on Saturday, and roll back to RIC on Sunday.

Ahhh, but when.. Might be August before I personally have a weekend free. Maybe if we choose a mid-August weekend we'd all have enough time to block off the days and actually make it happen.
They're closing on the 30th. of November for the season, but would like to get down there well before then.

A weekend jaunt would probably work out best.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #16178
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Hey I'm tighter'n all get out and I'll come right out and say so.. If I'm not out in a field, I shoot at Ft Lee for free. bring your own rounds and targets = .22's and paper plates

try three teenagers in the house, two driving, one in college with the others soon to follow.. You'll be shooting tin cans off a log too.
I feel your pain. We are empty nesters 3 grown daughters all moved away. Two grand kids. Life is good!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #16179
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,144
Service woes

Just in case you were having a boring evening and needed a chuckle...

I decided to save some money and service my bike before my 2000 mile ride next month to the national rally. Replace final drive fluid, check. Replace transmission fluid, check. Put wheels back on after installing new tires, check (thanks Guy)
While taking a break from replacing the rear brake pads, I decided to change the oil and filter. I started the bike, let it warm for a couple of minutes (I know that I'm supposed to take it for a quick 10 minute ride to warm up the oil but the rear caliper is still hanging off!)

While waiting for the bike to warm, I decided to give the front brake a squeeze, spin the front wheel and make sure that everything spun nicely after having the front tire replaced and reinstalling the front wheel.

Did I mention that this is a 2005 with power brakes....

Yep, you guessed it, in no time the rear brake had pushed it's pistons out and had urinated a bunch of brake fluid out onto the garage floor. Sigh! Guy, If you are reading this, I'll be bringing her over tomorrow for you to finish this job with the JVB service DVD if I can find it.

Now off to start installing my barndoor Aeroflow touring sheild!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #16180
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Just in case you were having a boring evening and needed a chuckle...

I decided to save some money and service my bike before my 2000 mile ride next month to the national rally. Replace final drive fluid, check. Replace transmission fluid, check. Put wheels back on after installing new tires, check (thanks Guy)
While taking a break from replacing the rear brake pads, I decided to change the oil and filter. I started the bike, let it warm for a couple of minutes (I know that I'm supposed to take it for a quick 10 minute ride to warm up the oil but the rear caliper is still hanging off!)

While waiting for the bike to warm, I decided to give the front brake a squeeze, spin the front wheel and make sure that everything spun nicely after having the front tire replaced and reinstalling the front wheel.

Did I mention that this is a 2005 with power brakes....

Yep, you guessed it, in no time the rear brake had pushed it's pistons out and had urinated a bunch of brake fluid out onto the garage floor. Sigh! Guy, If you are reading this, I'll be bringing her over tomorrow for you to finish this job with the JVB service DVD if I can find it.

Now off to start installing my barndoor Aeroflow touring sheild!

One thing at a time. I've learned the hard way a couple times, except mostly on cars. First time I replaced the shoes on the drums of my 70 chevelle, I had to take apart the other side to figure out where the leftover parts went. Hope you don't do that when working on people though.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #16181
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
I feel your pain. We are empty nesters 3 grown daughters all moved away. Two grand kids. Life is good!
good for you! When my kids were little, just the thought of them growing up and moving out someday really made me sad.

Less so these days...

No, they're great kids and lots of fun and I really enjoy them! Still the empty nest thing doesn't sound all bad any more.

ddlewis screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 07:59 PM
Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #16182
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Wheels Through Time

I've been wanting to get down to the Wheels Through Time Museum for years. I'm interested. Probably a weekend (Friday-Sunday) in August would work best for me. Hope to be able to join you all.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #16183
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Wheels Through Time..

Maybe 8/17 - 8/19? Glancing at the map, I'm guessing there is plenty of camping in the area. We could probably get a group site in the Smokies NP.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #16184
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
good for you! When my kids were little, just the thought of them growing up and moving out someday really made me sad.

Less so these days...

No, they're great kids and lots of fun and I really enjoy them! Still the empty nest thing doesn't sound all bad any more.
My oldest (22) just moved out this week, still have the 18 Y/O. It's weird without Amber around, but I have been eying her room...............................
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #16185
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
They're closing on the 30th. of November for the season, but would like to get down there well before then.

A weekend jaunt would probably work out best.

I did a ride down there a few years back, had an absolute blast. Great roads. I went the second week of May and the weather was perfect and there was NO traffic of any kind!

I'd definitely be in for this one.
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote