ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #16186
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhof View Post
No shopping I thought they sold, maybe not
Ok, we can go, maybe stop at Guy's to see the garagemahal.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #16187
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 900
Empty nest

I used to have an empty nest .... then she moved back. When she left the second time we made plans to turn her room into an exercise room with loud music and a big TV. Before we could fix it all up she moved back in. Now Im just getting fat.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #16188
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
My oldest (22) just moved out this week, still have the 18 Y/O. It's weird without Amber around, but I have been eying her room...............................
Our youngest just graduated high school and is heading off to college in the fall. Which means ... FREEDOM! :-)

We recently moved, and didn't tell two of them the new address. So we're safe there. And with the other two happily ensconced at W&M in the fall, it's (oh what a shame) an empty nest for us as well. The wife isn't thinking the same thoughts as I am though. For some reason this strikes her as a sad moment. For me, it's time to be a happy couple instead of a couple of cat herders. Don't get me wrong, I loved having little kids. Teens and young adults? Not so much. So off they go until they can be tolerated again and all will be well. LOL!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #16189
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,488
I'm thinking of getting up early tomorrow or Sunday and riding to West point and try to find those dirt roads off Lombardy from Chucks vid. Probably get out there around 8:30 or 9, ride a couple hours, home early afternoon.

Anybody want to go?
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #16190
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I'm thinking of getting up early tomorrow or Sunday and riding to West point and try to find those dirt roads off Lombardy from Chucks vid. Probably get out there around 8:30 or 9, ride a couple hours, home early afternoon.

Anybody want to go?
I will pm you the turn offs for the jeep trails etc

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #16191
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 900
West Point Ride

Dan.... if you show up this time I will go back with you on Sat. I go back to work on Sun. Im sure Jeremy is interested as well. Hopefully the logging trucks will have the day off.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #16192
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Our youngest just graduated high school and is heading off to college in the fall. Which means ... FREEDOM! :-)

We recently moved, and didn't tell two of them the new address. So we're safe there. And with the other two happily ensconced at W&M in the fall, it's (oh what a shame) an empty nest for us as well. The wife isn't thinking the same thoughts as I am though. For some reason this strikes her as a sad moment. For me, it's time to be a happy couple instead of a couple of cat herders. Don't get me wrong, I loved having little kids. Teens and young adults? Not so much. So off they go until they can be tolerated again and all will be well. LOL!
W&M is 56 miles, so don't count your hatches before they chicken.

The older daughter, who didn't really want to graduate from HS due to the herd of friends she had, seemed to show up at home about every other w/e. By the third year we finally convinced her she was really missing out on the college life and her presence here faded.

Now she attends class reunions down there as often as she can.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #16193
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Dan.... if you show up this time I will go back with you on Sat...
Unfortunately we can't all be pilots and "work" 12 hours a week..

Sorry man, I wanted to but couldn't get away. I'm off tomorrow, so no problem. Where ya'll want to meet and when? Jeremy?
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #16194
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:

Sorry man, I wanted to but couldn't get away. I'm off tomorrow, so no problem. Where ya'll want to meet and when? Jeremy?
I'll be riding in the area with a "colleague" tomorrow, but we will be avoiding the good (mud) roads. I'll keep an eye out for guys. After we bounce around Shirley Plantation Road and Westover we're heading east on 5 to do the Five and Dime.

I considered making an attempt on The Hatton Ferry, but I called the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society (434-296-1492) and the girl said that it's running tomorrow, but the river is low so it's only going about halfway across... Ummm, yes.. well that does indeed sound like an ADVenture..

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #16195
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,318
You find something new with everything you work on.

I have not found anything in a flat rate manual about extermination of critters that sting:

Crappy picture; I was hurtin'.

The whole underside of one of the body cowlings was home to a number of wasps nests. The fella in this pix nailed me several times as I was getting ready to pop it off. Fortunately, I'm not allergic to stings, but damn they hurt.

Dragged out the power washer and blasted the whole thing to try and get rid of the nests; They're still hovering around - pissed - that I took out their homes.

We'll jump back on it a little later.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #16196
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:

Hmm. Have to finish fixing my 12v outlet on the WR tonight. Might swap back to the 13T front sprocket too. Stall speed was too high when riding shoe creek. Eddy would slow down and I'd have to clutch in and lose all momentum going up the hill on the rocks.

On the 12v port, it turns out if you don't pay attention to the SAE connector in the middle of the leads, you don't realize the polarity was reversed. My bad for assuming the colors were right when i wired a new outlet into the POs leads. The 12v usb charger for the GPS apparently didn't like - 12v.

I'm not into getting up early but I want to go. Think we can convince Eddy to ride the Tdub?
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #16197
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
I'll be riding in the area with a "colleague" tomorrow, but we will be avoiding the good (mud) roads. I'll keep an eye out for guys. After we bounce around Shirley Plantation Road and Westover we're heading east on 5 to do the Five and Dime.

I considered making an attempt on The Hatton Ferry, but I called the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society (434-296-1492) and the girl said that it's running tomorrow, but the river is low so it's only going about halfway across... Ummm, yes.. well that does indeed sound like an ADVenture..
Two words- Water Crossing

If it is too shallow for the boat you can probably ride across.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #16198
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,046
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I

Crappy picture; I was hurtin'.

.......The fella in this pix nailed me several times as I was getting ready to pop it off. Fortunately, I'm not allergic to stings, but damn they hurt.

OUCH....
At least they didn't end up inside your helmet....

I happen to know that the Big Foster's Oil-can sized beers, when extremely cold, tend to help tohose pesky "stings-on-the-finga's"....
but you got to put them all on the counter so the salesperson can ring them All up first....heheheheheh
(little private "sting" joke from the past.....)
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #16199
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Think we can convince Eddy to ride the Tdub?
I wish, I have out of country guests in this weekend...
Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #16200
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Just in case you were having a boring evening and needed a chuckle...

I decided to save some money and service my bike before my 2000 mile ride next month to the national rally. Replace final drive fluid, check. Replace transmission fluid, check. Put wheels back on after installing new tires, check (thanks Guy)
While taking a break from replacing the rear brake pads, I decided to change the oil and filter. I started the bike, let it warm for a couple of minutes (I know that I'm supposed to take it for a quick 10 minute ride to warm up the oil but the rear caliper is still hanging off!)

While waiting for the bike to warm, I decided to give the front brake a squeeze, spin the front wheel and make sure that everything spun nicely after having the front tire replaced and reinstalling the front wheel.

Did I mention that this is a 2005 with power brakes....

Yep, you guessed it, in no time the rear brake had pushed it's pistons out and had urinated a bunch of brake fluid out onto the garage floor. Sigh! Guy, If you are reading this, I'll be bringing her over tomorrow for you to finish this job with the JVB service DVD if I can find it.

Now off to start installing my barndoor Aeroflow touring sheild!
Eddie,

It is because of the "linked" power brakes. When you grab the front brakes about 20%-25% of the braking force heads to the rear brakes. It should be a easy fix, bleeding them can be a PITA though.

Kurt