ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #16246
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
I think Brenda has challenged all you rough and tuff guys to a skydive so who wants to go? Weight limits for tandems are around 250 lbs..
I love the smell of smack-talk in the morning.

The idea of jumping with a dude strapped to my ass who's calling all the shots seems like riding pillion.

I saw an old lady jump tandem for her 80'th birthday the other day on the news. She seemed to change her mind at the last instant and almost squatted out of harness just as they went out the door.. It looked like she was totally screwed but they landed her ok.

googled it:
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,1342309.story
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #16247
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
$300/min no thanks. I'll pass. I could get a 15 minute Aerobatic Flight in a Stearman for less than half that...

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #16248
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,223
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
That would be AFF - Accelerated Free Fall, or static. Not sure anyone does the latter anymore.

HEHEHEHE not sure how popular it is in Va, but wayyyyyyy back that was the only way to earn your manifest log.
it was a full day of "schooling", followed buy the first of 6 static line jumps / dummy ripcord pulls (DON'T loose the dummy ripcord....$$$), and then you got a freefall from 5800 ft. $40 a pop back then.

this is kinda what that feels like:

aaaaiiiiIIIIIIIIIII

I got ONE freefall, and that was on my last dummy ripcord static jump......rolled, and tied the static up in my chute ssock, and got a streamer.......and had to get cutaway......
that was a rush. when that happens it looks like this:

Have fun, and never look at the ground when it starts getting close.....tends to break ankles....
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #16249
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,275
I hope everyone realizes that Chuck is being very modest, he has over 3300 jumps! He's one of the local subject matter experts! Me...I'll stick to the diving board, that's high enough for me.

In those pictures above...Do you really need to wear a plastic helmet? I guess it would be kind of like hitting a brick wall on a motorcycle at 130 mph!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 01:01 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #16250
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,403
We'd go to about 13,000 in a twin with about 7-8 jumpers, then step out to the door, hang on to the edge, then push away. Had a fella on each side to make sure you would stay stable. Once we got to about 5,500, they'd give me the okay to pull the cord. Look up, good chute?, then hit the toggles if okay to get full deployment.

Unfortunately, two weeks later that same twin lost an engine with a full load and went in. Killed all on board and a fella on the ground. I lost a bunch of good friends that day, including one of the jump masters who I'd known for about 5 years. I haven't jumped since.

Many times I have threatened to get back into it and work myself up to an A license, but that just hasn't happened - yet.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #16251
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,542
You guys are actually going to pay for that? Hell, they paid ME!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #16252
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
You guys are actually going to pay for that? Hell, they paid ME!
Yeah, but in your own subtle way - you paid...........

Besides, in my MOS they didn't like the thought of my taking a dive into $hitty areas. The thought of KBC emblazoned on my back really didn't appeal to me either. I had to wait until I was a civilian before I could experience that rush.

And perish the thought of "Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane?" The twin I went out of certainly wasn't perfect, and as a pilot I knew that. History proved me right several weeks later.

Guy Young screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 01:09 PM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #16253
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Not into jumping, I've proven the landing hurts. Last time I ever worked on a roof, was almost 10 years ago. We were putting shingles on the garage at my mother's house. New garage only had felt paper on the roof so far. Had the misfortune of the entire sheet of it I was standing on rip loose. Rode that all the way down the roof and right over the edge without being able to grab anything. I landed feet first and broke my right tib/fib and then twisted the foot around backwards. not sure how that wasn't a compound fracture. I've got some nice titanium running down my shin bone that hurts when it is cold to remind me. I got really good with crutches over the next 6 months.

I don't even like getting up on a ladder now, so I'll skip the jumping out of the plane. It isn't being up high I don't like, it is the idea of the landing that bothers me.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #16254
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Not into jumping, I've proven the landing hurts. Last time I ever worked on a roof, was almost 10 years ago. We were putting shingles on the garage at my mother's house. New garage only had felt paper on the roof so far. Had the misfortune of the entire sheet of it I was standing on rip loose. Rode that all the way down the roof and right over the edge without being able to grab anything. I landed feet first and broke my right tib/fib and then twisted the foot around backwards. not sure how that wasn't a compound fracture. I've got some nice titanium running down my shin bone that hurts when it is cold to remind me. I got really good with crutches over the next 6 months.

I don't even like getting up on a ladder now, so I'll skip the jumping out of the plane. It isn't being up high I don't like, it is the idea of the landing that bothers me.
Jeremy, if things go bad, chances are you won't feel the "hurt."

And FWIW - in my youth, I was never afraid of heights. Did some really stoopid stuff at altitude back then. As I got older, distance from me to the ground began to make an impression. I wondered what my reaction would be when I climbed out and hung on the side of the door of that plane. Oddly enough, I felt nothing. I just did the deed, pushed off, and I was flying through space. Short of my first orgasm, I had never experienced anything that exhilarating before..... which is why I want to get back into this. No need for little blue pills.

Just because a few of us are considering this, I would never try and convince someone to try something that was completely out of their comfort zone. I don't think they would either.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #16255
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
i love the smell of smack-talk in the morning.
the idea of jumping with a dude strapped to my ass who's calling all the shots seems like riding pillion.
+1

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #16256
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I love the smell of smack-talk in the morning.

The idea of jumping with a dude strapped to my ass who's calling all the shots seems like riding pillion.

I saw an old lady jump tandem for her 80'th birthday the other day on the news. She seemed to change her mind at the last instant and almost squatted out of harness just as they went out the door.. It looked like she was totally screwed but they landed her ok.

googled it:
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,1342309.story
That's (almost) too funny. One of the guys I jumped with was openly gay, and whenever he'd leave a plane he'd holler out, "Captain ASSHOLEY," ... akin to GERONIMO!! Unfortunately, he was one of the ones killed when the jump plane went down.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #16257
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,779
Yay! Power is back on....been out since 3:20pm
I sacrificed my Hardywood Mocha porter but made it through
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #16258
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I'm almost jealous. I never had Mocha Porter on hand to get me through a power outage before. Methinks that should go on the hurricane survival list.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #16259
Hack

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Yay! Power is back on....been out since 3:20pm
Hows the back doing?
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #16260
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,761
Saw plenty of trees down and cut up all along 64 today while riding back to Norfolk. Power out mike? What did
I miss? Smooth ride all the way home but evidence of calamity was all around.