ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #16291
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Weekend rides?

Anyone want to create a monkey but challenge in the nice weather we will have this weekend? I'm halfway thinking staying on the street, to keep up the cooling affects of the wind.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #16292
MX_Andrew83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I shared this thread with my friend Neil, I think he was trying to find one a few weeks back.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #16293
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,466
wow... where is this? Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
To be fair, I did start with the following back in January...

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #16294
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeslack View Post
wow... where is this? Canada?
Switzerland's Jungfrau region. Took off a bit below Schiltorn, flew over Murren (what we are flying toward in 1st photo), then zig-zagged down the gorge between Lauterbrunnen and Stechelberg (Lauterbrunnen is in the distance in the 3rd photo).

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #16295
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Weekend rides?
Unfortunately, I would be limited to a short (2-4 hour ride) on Sunday on the TW. Guy is holding my GS hostage while waiting for a part for the rear brake caliper. Also, I am just getting back to normal...last Saturday's fever, vomiting and "etc" that I had before the mud road ride was just the beginning of a week long head, throat, ear, chest, coughing up phlem, viral nastiness with fever and chills that has FINALLY decided to let me live!

Cool new Triumph! R1200RT. ST1300, FJR and Concours riders better start checking their six!
http://trophy.triumphmotorcycles.com/

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 07:45 AM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #16296
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

From xkcd.com

It is close, except for the whole box part.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #16297
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
So.. Who commuted or otherwise rode in full gear today? I did and my favorite peanut gallery comment of the day came as I was heading out of the building all suited up -- "oh, you probably won't need a jacket out there today". Uhh.. Thanks!

Anyway, I'm now sitting on my deck in the shade with a fan on me and I'm still sweating bullets.

It's a hot one kids!

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #16298
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
So.. Who commuted or otherwise rode in full gear today? I did and my favorite peanut gallery comment of the day came as I was heading out of the building all suited up -- "oh, you probably won't need a jacket out there today". Uhh.. Thanks!

Anyway, I'm now sitting on my deck in the shade with a fan on me and I'm still sweating bullets.

It's a hot one kids!
As it was a casual day at work, I thought about riding the WR. The DL has a harder time squeezing past the parking deck gate. I then decided that I might want AC on the way home and drove the jetta. I know, I'm just a weekend poser. On the flip side, riding the bikes to work just makes riding feel like work.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #16299
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,015
Hot enough for you?

Since it is 92F in the shade on my front porch, at 2600ft in the mtns, I know it has got to be hotter than hell in the city.

However, skychs, Jersey Mark, Madstrom, chip and I all got to ride this morning. Did tourance tour of Pendleton County (70% paved, 30% dirt), including the newly paved Rheddish Knob. I left them headed east on 250 about 1230 pm. Hope everyone gets home okay with this heat. I was using a Camelbck filled with ice water, and still was parched.

We had a great time. Glad they all came out. I'm sure someone will post pics later. Thanks guys, for the visit!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #16300
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
103 for my ride from Pentagon City down to Stafford. Fridays always suck for the commute home but the heat takes it to a new dimension. I peeled off the HOV's at Woodbridge and came around the west side of Quantico MCB. Still "Africa Hot" but at least I kept moving. Full gear with every vent open.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #16301
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

The car said 106. At work it is in the shade in the parking deck all day. That keeps it from being a solar oven at least.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #16302
chiplamb
Flexible Flyer

Oddometer: 30
Thanks for your hospitality. I blew a turn and lost Chuck and Mark around Staunton, so I went looking for them without avail. Ditched the 'Stich in Nellysford, VA and still cooked all the way home. Yuck.

I'll edit some of my Reddish Knob photos later...

Chip
one dirty KLR, rode sweep, and it was more like 55/45 dirt by my accounting, maybe it's just the dirt talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Since it is 92F in the shade on my front porch, at 2600ft in the mtns, I know it has got to be hotter than hell in the city.

However, skychs, Jersey Mark, Madstrom, chip and I all got to ride this morning. Did tourance tour of Pendleton County (70% paved, 30% dirt), including the newly paved Rheddish Knob. I left them headed east on 250 about 1230 pm. Hope everyone gets home okay with this heat. I was using a Camelbck filled with ice water, and still was parched.

We had a great time. Glad they all came out. I'm sure someone will post pics later. Thanks guys, for the visit!

jeff
chiplamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #16303
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Adventure at Jeffs

Here you go......

skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #16304
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Nice pictures Chuck!

Jimmy
Rctr
Old 06-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #16305
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Jeffs Adventure

Wow.....
What can I say about the Adventure at Jeff's yesterday and today. What a place!!! Jeff ..... thank you so much !! Great camping, great food, great people = fantastic time.

The highlight of the event for me was the sunset ride up to the top of the mountain. Lets just say our motor skill were lacking in many ways. At the bottom of the hill right in front of the cabin I played too hard and took what Mark calls a dirt nap. Good thing I was armored up! To Mark's pleasure he finally got a photo of the big black GS laying over on its side. The group photo was at the top of the hill.

On the ride this morning I think the word to describe the event should be DUSTY! There was a great view at the top but getting up and down the hill riding 4th or 5th in line proved to be challenging at times. At times it was simply a white out or in more definitive terms a DUST out. At the end of the run Jeff got this great shot of Mark and I in our DUST outfits.

The ride home was equally as challenging for me. All geared up at 80 mph I think I saw 103-104 degree's all the way home. The first thing I did when I got home was take a cold shower to cool down. I didn't start sweating again until I drank at least a gallon of water.

Chip, sorry we missed you. We turned on I-64 E as planned to ride over to exit 99 then 250 down to the Brewery. I thought you knew where we we going. You should have seen some of the looks we got walking into the Brewery in a dusty gear but hey were happy to serve us.

Jeff, Mickey, Chip, Mark...... thanks for a great time.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote