ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #16381
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Who would ever stay at a B&B instead of camping?
The kind of folk that wear loafers I suspect...

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #16382
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
BMW MOA Iron Butt Ride

[QUOTE=skychs;19072267]

Eddy and Greg ..... Two weeks until the MOA. If it stays this hot for the iron butt over to MO I may be thinking about some night riding. I know. I know. Im just not sure I can take 95+ degree's for hours at a time. Between the three of us we should be able to light up two football fields at a time.

If it's as hot as it has been I'm all for bumping up the departure time to say 3 am and riding thru the dark.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #16383
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,403
BMW MOA Iron Butt Ride

I assume ya'll have Camelbaks or some other hydration system so you can take in fluids without stopping???

Old 07-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #16384
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I assume ya'll have Camelbaks or some other hydration system so you can take in fluids without stopping???

Camelbak, oh yeah.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #16385
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Camelbak, oh yeah.
I bought a 2 liter one last Saturday and used it Sunday going to Reddish knob. That thing is great. Refilled it with Gatorade and ice from a big gulp at 7-11.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #16386
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,014
What the well dressed IBA rider is wearing this year.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post

But don't forget to coordinate. The best dressed IBA riders this year will have a matching ensemble; color coordinated Camelbaks and catheters..... You'll absolutely need to be able to eliminate the extra hydration as easily as you take it in!

Or, you could take the crazy, jilted NASA astronaut option and go with adult Depends undergarments......

Either way you can keep going, and going, and going without ever having to stop!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #16387
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Camelbak

Camelbak for me as well. Red bull here I come. Maybe I can borrow a pair of Depends.

Clutch, brake and engine oil are changed. Two new tires next week and if I have the time I'm going to change the final drive fluid. I stripped one of the skid plate bolts so I guess I need to take care of that as well. I sure hope the weather cools off a little. I'm good until about 96 degrees. After that I can't keep enough fluid in me.

I picked up a Wolfman Enduro bag from a fellow AdvRider today that packs up my 4 man tent and gear perfectly. Greg and I will be easy to see riding down the road with bright yellow bags. Thanks dljocky!!
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #16388
skychs
chuck smith

Moa

Jeff .... You beat me to the depends !! . I'm not color coordinated but I will have lots of fluid on board.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #16389
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Good to meet you today. Hope you all have a great trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Camelbak for me as well. Red bull here I come. Maybe I can borrow a pair of Depends.

Clutch, brake and engine oil are changed. Two new tires next week and if I have the time I'm going to change the final drive fluid. I stripped one of the skid plate bolts so I guess I need to take care of that as well. I sure hope the weather cools off a little. I'm good until about 96 degrees. After that I can't keep enough fluid in me.

I picked up a Wolfman Enduro bag from a fellow AdvRider today that packs up my 4 man tent and gear perfectly. Greg and I will be easy to see riding down the road with bright yellow bags. Thanks dljocky!!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #16390
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
The Great Yankee Water Tour 2012 - Day One

Day one's ride report. Nothing too exciting. Days one and two were just getting me to the starting gate. Day two coming shortly.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19084944

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #16391
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,779
Looking good Rick, keep it coming...your mighty tough to be riding & camping
in this heat wave
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #16392
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Looking good Rick, keep it coming...your mighty tough to be riding & camping
in this heat wave
Durn straight.. Rick, you're a tough dude to go out motorcycle touring/camping in this weather.

I was down at the lake (Kerr) all weekend and tried to stay submerged as much as possible.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #16393
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
But don't forget to coordinate. The best dressed IBA riders this year will have a matching ensemble; color coordinated Camelbaks and catheters..... You'll absolutely need to be able to eliminate the extra hydration as easily as you take it in!

Or, you could take the crazy, jilted NASA astronaut option and go with adult Depends undergarments......

Either way you can keep going, and going, and going without ever having to stop!

jeff
I am getting excited thinking about how quickly the rally and iron butt ride is creeping up on us. As far as Depends go, I figure with my vented suit, I could just skip the Depends and pee in my suit. I figure that the 75 mph, 90+ degree breeze would simply evaporate any urine before reaching my socks.... I hope you know I'm kidding.
I am seriously thinking of putting on the tiny black flyscreen for the ride, it may be a hot breeze but at least it will be a breeze. I fear that I may slow bake behind the still air Aeroflow. My concern is increased or early fatigue from the wind and noise.
Any LD riders or those who have ridden behind an Aeroflow when it's very hot care to comment or make a suggestion? Would you recommend the barndoor windsheild and be in still comfy air or the breeze behind a 6" flyscreen when riding 2500+ miles in 5 days when it's 90+ degrees? The stock screen is great around town or for day rides but it causes too much t-t-t-t-t-t-turbulence around my helmet at speed.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #16394
skychs
chuck smith

Aeroflow

Eddy,
I would much rather have a quiet ride than all the air and wind noise in my head. It makes it easier to listen to music and talk to each other via the Scala Rider. On my bike to get more air to the chest and head I simply utilize the highway pegs. The air rides up my legs into and around my chest and head. Last year for the MOA I just took off the top section of the Aeroflow. After a couple hundred miles I wished I had kept the top on.

In regards to the Scala .... Everyone needs to update the software to the headset so we all have the same version.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #16395
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
Saw a guy in Dinwiddie on River Rd today then made a right on Namozine Rd. He was riding a DL650. Was he an inmate?