ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #16471
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,747
Well let me try to post from my phone. This will be a first for me, an IPhone rocks though. Left the farm in Hungry Mother two days ago. finally got to Castle Rock CO 8 pm Richmond Time. Rocky Mtn National Park tomorrow.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #16472
MX_Andrew83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I made it home safe. I had a great ride. We were going to ride big levels but t was closed due to a wildfire. We road down Coal Rd then back up Vesuvius to Montebello. We ran into MX_Andrew there but couldn't convince him to join us for a run down shoe creek. After shoe Creek went down Alhambra and Wiggins spring to 60.

Dan, I turned onto Petersburg Rd from Genito. It turns into Skinquarter when it crosses into Chesterfield. From there I took Beach road home.

Chuck, I didn't get rained on at all.

It was great running into you guys up there, I wish I could have convinced Adam to ride Shoe Creek but it was his first ride on that bike and we were already off to a rough start with a melted turn signal, followed by a dead battery. We rode about 230miles or so for the day, but the ride home was the real adventure. While I was passing through Batesville I had my face shield open enjoying the breeze, I hit a wasp and was stung just beneath my left eye. I held it together and stopped as quickly as possible; pulled my helmet off and my face felt like it was on fire. Thankfully I had a first aid kit in my bag, so I took some aspirin to fight off the swelling. We started back home, and as soon as we hit Charlottesville the rain began, it continued until I was about 5miles from home but it didn't matter because I was already soaked. With all of the hiccups I have to say I still enjoyed the ride, and I'm hoping to get out again this weekend.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #16473
Jersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Finally got the time, parts and tools to put my new clutch in a new used header pipe two new front directional's and a new skid plate. Thank you eppa for your advice and tips over the phone it made the job with the clutch a lot easier. Bike runs great I'm ready for a shoe creek rematch.
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #16474
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,017
Front brakes are done. They were easier. I did not notice a big difference but the lever was a bit less squishy. I tried adjusting the rear brake pedal to take out the free play and reduce the pedal travel required. Of course I went a little further than needed. After a couple of miles on 95, I discovered that the rear caliper was very hot. Seems I over did it and had the rear brake dragging. I'll adjust it again tomorrow to see if I get better results.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #16475
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,795
so are the Iron Butt guys ready to ride tomorrow?
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #16476
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
so are the Iron Butt guys ready to ride tomorrow?
Well, yes...and no.

All three of us are ready, our bikes are packed up and loaded and we are raring to go. The only trouble right now is that a pesky severe thunderstorm has Chuck grounded in NJ and he still needs to fly to ATL then back to RIC today, get to bed, sleep and meet us at 0630....It's a long shot. Cross your fingers. He may need to catch up tomorrow night. What a puss...I told him to give it full throttle, climb to 50,000+ feet and just go over the damn thing!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #16477
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Well, yes...and no.

All three of us are ready, our bikes are packed up and loaded and we are raring to go. The only trouble right now is that a pesky severe thunderstorm has Chuck grounded in NJ and he still needs to fly to ATL then back to RIC today, get to bed, sleep and meet us at 0630....It's a long shot. Cross your fingers. He may need to catch up tomorrow night. What a puss...I told him to give it full throttle, climb to 50,000+ feet and just go over the damn thing!

they used to let 'em fly around those cells I remember a flight way back from Atlanta to Nashville. where the pilots were having a blast changing altitude and flight path going around cells, the lady beside me held on the puke bag most of the trip

see you at the corner of W Cary and N Thompson at 0630
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 07-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #16478
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,321
Quote:

they used to let 'em fly around those cells I remember a flight way back from Atlanta to Nashville. where the pilots were having a blast changing altitude and flight path going around cells, the lady beside me held on the puke bag most of the trip

You going too, or are you just gonna sign them off??

Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #16479
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
PM me your cell number and I will keep you informed as to what our plans are via text. I spoke with Greg and we want to wait for him even if that might mean having to do a SS1000 on another day. It would be more fun to ride out and back with him.

I texted Chuck 10 minutes ago, he usually fires right back with a response. No response yet, hopefully that means that he's flying and too busy to text right now versus sitting in a pilot's lounge with no cell service due to a monster thunderstorm!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 01:29 PM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #16480
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
.... I spoke with Greg and we want to wait for him even if that might mean having to do a SS1000 on another day. It would be more fun to ride out and back with him.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #16481
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhof View Post
Brenda as discussed yesterday on our epic ride, Willville camp ground.

http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/
Tommy, thanks for the Willville mention. I'll be stopping by there soon.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #16482
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
You going too, or are you just gonna sign them off??

paperwork, paperwork, paperwork has killed more SS1000's than the ride itself

I'll be there as the start witness, to have coffee, a biscuit and take a few pictures
IBA#10787

– Abraham Lincoln

-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 07-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #16483
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
PM me your cell number and I will keep you informed as to what our plans are via text. I spoke with Greg and we want to wait for him even if that might mean having to do a SS1000 on another day. It would be more fun to ride out and back with him.

I texted Chuck 10 minutes ago, he usually fires right back with a response. No response yet, hopefully that means that he's flying and too busy to text right now versus sitting in a pilot's lounge with no cell service due to a monster thunderstorm!
keep me posted.
IBA#10787

– Abraham Lincoln

-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 07-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #16484
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Chuck just texted back...he's sitting inside looking at his airplane. Rain, rain and more rain...

I thought those fancy things had good instruments! Who needs VFR!? What a sissy!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #16485
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 904
Iron Butt

Still stuck in Newark. Winds 350@24 kts, gusts to 32kts. 1/2 mile visibility. Thunderstorms and rain. Newark is closed until further notice. The good news is the temp dropped to 24C (75F) down from 39C an hour ago.

Chances are slim to none of me getting to Atlanta then RIC. I appreciate the offers to wait but it's not looking good. I will keep you posted...
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote