ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #16786
roger123
Beastly Adventurer
 
roger123's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: VA Beach, VA
Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Shifter toe condom from jammin' leather snake skin no less
Must be European with it being on the right (wrong) boot........
__________________
Roger
'07 Wee Strom
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #16787
Jersey
Adventurer
 
Jersey's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Parlin,NJ
Oddometer: 81
Good ride today 467 miles up to spruce knob and lake hit the good parts of 33,250 and the dirt between. Found some new to me dirt too anybody eles riding those parts today. Cool most of the day wish i brought a liner.
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #16788
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Geez! I leave the area for three days and the place turns to $hit. Bad clutch bits, stolen bikes, etc.

.
Imagine what will happen next year when you go out west

I'll need to have a garage with guard dogs, guns, ammo food and spare parts by then. Working on buying a garage first.

Stayed in town this weekend since my grandfather was visiting. Did make it down the the beer and BBQ festival at the farmers market. Saw a cool K1200LT that parked next to me. Noted it had 120k on the odometer. There was also what looked like an late 80s Ducati. Didn't recognize the model.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #16789
MotoMujer
Adventurette
 
MotoMujer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
Good ride today 467 miles up to spruce knob and lake hit the good parts of 33,250 and the dirt between. Found some new to me dirt too anybody eles riding those parts today. Cool most of the day wish i brought a liner.
A month or two ago I head out to the coast on a mid-80-degree day wearing my mesh, with the jacket liner stuffed in a pannier just in case. Fourteen hrs later when I was riding back home I was FREEZING -- I was more comfortable when I rode to Poe's on a 30-degree day wearing mesh + liner + electric, before I bought winter gear. If all goes per plan I'm off for a 6-day ride tomorrow. This time liner + electrics will be stuffed in a pannier just in case. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.
__________________
Priors: 73 CB500, 06 F650GS. Next: work in progress.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #16790
skychs
chuck smith
 
skychs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Glen Allen Va (N. Richmond)
Oddometer: 891
Clutch update

I should have listened to the inmates here on ADV. The problem ended up being the clutch master cylinder. It wasn't the slave and it wasn't the fluid I was using. It was just crud, probably dust for the 52K miles on the bike. All I did was take apart the master cylinder, clean it up and put it back together. Once back together I flushed the system "retrograde". Worked like a charm. For a test ride I did figure 8's at the local school parking lot until I got dizzy. No leaks, no pressure drops. Yippie.,,,,

In regards to taking warm gear and/or rain gear on every ride ...... especially when you have the room ..... its a great idea. Seems like the few times I forget to take them I need them. Each time I swear I will never do it again.

Welcome back Guy.... Have a great trip Brenda......
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #16791
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
I should have listened to the inmates here on ADV. The problem ended up being the clutch master cylinder. It wasn't the slave and it wasn't the fluid I was using. It was just crud, probably dust for the 52K miles on the bike. All I did was take apart the master cylinder, clean it up and put it back together. Once back together I flushed the system "retrograde". Worked like a charm. For a test ride I did figure 8's at the local school parking lot until I got dizzy. No leaks, no pressure drops. Yippie.,,,,

In regards to taking warm gear and/or rain gear on every ride ...... especially when you have the room ..... its a great idea. Seems like the few times I forget to take them I need them. Each time I swear I will never do it again.

Welcome back Guy.... Have a great trip Brenda......
Thanks Chuck, and glad you got the clutch issue sorted out..

And ditto that for the heated gear. I always carry mine and actually used it one morning this past w/e when over in WV. It was a little nipply one morning when I headed out and was damned glad I had it. Shucked it an hour later once it warmed up, but that "hour" of riding had me nice and comfy.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #16792
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jwray76's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: East End RVA
Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
I should have listened to the inmates here on ADV.
you did, just took you a while Glad you got it straightened out. That makes me 2 for 2 in shooting from the hip diagnoses in the last week. I think I better stop while I am ahead.
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #16793
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass
 
bloochdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
Oddometer: 5,708
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
I should have listened to the inmates here on ADV. The problem ended up being the clutch master cylinder. It wasn't the slave and it wasn't the fluid I was using. It was just crud, probably dust for the 52K miles on the bike. All I did was take apart the master cylinder, clean it up and put it back together. Once back together I flushed the system "retrograde". Worked like a charm. For a test ride I did figure 8's at the local school parking lot until I got dizzy. No leaks, no pressure drops. Yippie.,,,,

In regards to taking warm gear and/or rain gear on every ride ...... especially when you have the room ..... its a great idea. Seems like the few times I forget to take them I need them. Each time I swear I will never do it again.

Welcome back Guy.... Have a great trip Brenda......
My clutch is feeling a bit funky. Gonna try this first. Thanks for the light fellas.
__________________
"That light is bright, I can"t see sh!t."- H14
bloochdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #16794
MotoMujer
Adventurette
 
MotoMujer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Oddometer: 660
Looking for extra rims, front esp., for '06 F650GS

The gents at CBPH&G were kind enough to swap my TKC front for my Tourance front ahead of my upcoming ride. WOW how I've missed that Tourance! But the TKC has its place too. Which got me thinking about the upside to having a rim that the TKC lives on and a rim that the Tourance lives on. If anyone sees/hears anything about F650GS rims that might be available, I'd be all . TY.
__________________
Priors: 73 CB500, 06 F650GS. Next: work in progress.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #16795
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider
 
CycleDoc59's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: East Virginia
Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
I should have listened to the inmates here on ADV. The problem ended up being the clutch master cylinder. It wasn't the slave and it wasn't the fluid I was using. It was just crud, probably dust for the 52K miles on the bike. All I did was take apart the master cylinder, clean it up and put it back together. Once back together I flushed the system "retrograde". Worked like a charm. For a test ride I did figure 8's at the local school parking lot until I got dizzy. No leaks, no pressure drops. Yippie.,,,,

In regards to taking warm gear and/or rain gear on every ride ...... especially when you have the room ..... its a great idea. Seems like the few times I forget to take them I need them. Each time I swear I will never do it again.

Welcome back Guy.... Have a great trip Brenda......
Woops! Sorry about, when I saw your post, and we talked at Poe's, I just assumed you had
already cleaned out the master.....
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #16796
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
The gents at CBPH&G were kind enough to swap my TKC front for my Tourance front ahead of my upcoming ride. WOW how I've missed that Tourance! But the TKC has its place too. Which got me thinking about the upside to having a rim that the TKC lives on and a rim that the Tourance lives on. If anyone sees/hears anything about F650GS rims that might be available, I'd be all . TY.
Brenda, you say "rims," but what I think you really want are a spare set of wheels. Regardless, we knew what you meant.

I have those for my Connie and my KLR.

I think your best source for those would be eBay, or the classified section in one of the bike-specific forums. You could also go new, but that would be terribly expensive.

Anyway, my .02

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #16797
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lanexa, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
The gents at CBPH&G were kind enough to swap my TKC front for my Tourance front ahead of my upcoming ride. WOW how I've missed that Tourance! But the TKC has its place too. Which got me thinking about the upside to having a rim that the TKC lives on and a rim that the Tourance lives on. If anyone sees/hears anything about F650GS rims that might be available, I'd be all . TY.
You could buy a thumper for the cost of a of new BMW wheel.

I'd go with ADV Flea and sometimes Beemer Boneyard but ya gotta be quick there.

j
__________________
Greater Williamsburg Tag Map

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #16798
MotoMujer
Adventurette
 
MotoMujer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Brenda, you say "rims," but what I think you really want are a spare set of wheels. Regardless, we knew what you meant.

I have those for my Connie and my KLR.

I think your best source for those would be eBay, or the classified section in one of the bike-specific forums. You could also go new, but that would be terribly expensive.

Anyway, my .02

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
You could buy a thumper for the cost of a of new BMW wheel.

I'd go with ADV Flea and sometimes Beemer Boneyard but ya gotta be quick there.

j
Wheels then, yes please.

Thanks for the hunting tips - re: price of new, yeah, I about fell out of my chair when I looked them up. That is not going to happen.
__________________
Priors: 73 CB500, 06 F650GS. Next: work in progress.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #16799
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Wheels then, yes please.

Thanks for the hunting tips - re: price of new, yeah, I about fell out of my chair when I looked them up. That is not going to happen.
A couple on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F650GS-F...#ht_500wt_1052

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F650GS-F...ebcf41&vxp=mtr

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #16800
higworld
Bring Me Meat!
 
higworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: HIGWORLD.com
Oddometer: 852
Pho?

Anyone up for some Pho on Phriday? :-) I'll be at Pho So 1, probably around 11:30ish, should anyone want to comsume from yummy soup with me.
__________________
Rick Higgins

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014