ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #16831
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctr View Post
Ryan,

Nice Rotary sticker!

Jimmy
Rctr
Read my sig line........it was all about and for Rotary
Old 08-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #16832
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Anyone up for some Pho on Phriday? :-) I'll be at Pho So 1, probably around 11:30ish, should anyone want to consume some yummy soup with me.
I'm pretty sure I can handle that
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #16833
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitLanesLikeMOSES View Post
Read my sig line........it was all about and for Rotary

Outstanding Rotary Project and very nice RR!!

I read about your trip in "The Rotarian" magazine awhile back. I've been a member of the South Richmond Rotary Club since 1992. We meet at Meadowbrook CC every Thursday from 12:30-1:30 for lunch.Got 19 years perfect attendance. All are welcome to visit and lunch is on me.Just PM me if interested. BTW, I like dirty GS bikes, but I do wash mine occasionally as well.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #16834
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Smaller CC Bike

Gentlemen, Ladies, & Others:

I've been pondering a second bike for a while now. Thought about touring bikes, cruisers, old-school standard bikes, even adding a sidecar to the GS. But what I think I'd like to pursue is a smaller dual-sport so I can get better at off-road riding, without fighting the big pig. It's my daily rider and touring platform right now, so I'm hesitant to throw it too far off-road, lest I get down to zero bikes. (My DS skills, they are ... immature right now).

Is it possible, and what should I look for, if I wanted a streetable (or at least streetable enough to get to non-street) smaller dual-sport for around a grand? (I'm not made of money like SOME of you are. LOL!) Something in the 250cc range, maybe?

I've been watching CL for awhile now, but not being versed in the ways of smaller CC bikes, I'm not sure what I'm looking at quite yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #16835
schlitz
the slow one

Oddometer: 107
Quote:

I've been pondering a second bike for a while now. Thought about touring bikes, cruisers, old-school standard bikes, even adding a sidecar to the GS. But what I think I'd like to pursue is a smaller dual-sport so I can get better at off-road riding, without fighting the big pig. It's my daily rider and touring platform right now, so I'm hesitant to throw it too far off-road, lest I get down to zero bikes. (My DS skills, they are ... immature right now).

Is it possible, and what should I look for, if I wanted a streetable (or at least streetable enough to get to non-street) smaller dual-sport for around a grand? (I'm not made of money like SOME of you are. LOL!) Something in the 250cc range, maybe?

I've been watching CL for awhile now, but not being versed in the ways of smaller CC bikes, I'm not sure what I'm looking at quite yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
This. The little time I spent on my DR got me hungry for dirt.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #16836
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitz View Post
This. The little time I spent on my DR got me hungry for dirt.
No leads on the scum that got your bike? I've been keeping my eyes peeled (it was kinda easy to identify).

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
Old 08-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #16837
Michhub
Major Medical

Quote:
I've been pondering a second bike for a while now....

Thanks!
Well, at this price level it is gonna be tough but I rode a buddies DR350 that was quite surprising compared to my XR650L and you
might be able to score one of those....

THIS ONE on Cycletrader.com for $1,249

Beauty in Greatneck, VA
Cheap one in Salem that needs work

Try SearchTempest
Bonsai Elephant - "

Michhub screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 12:03 PM
Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #16838
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocox View Post
You FF's have offically been invited.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810658
PM sent.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #16839
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Well, at this price level it is gonna be tough t
You know ... I've got a trailer, and the wife's car has a hitch. I might need to be a little less strict on the "streetable" part. It's no shame to trailer a dirt bike to the fields of fun, right?

Question --- if a bike is only a dirt queen, does it have to be insured, titled, etc?

EDIT --- OK, so I'm ignorant to the world of two-strokes, etc. And the difference between a "trail bike" and a "motorcross bike". I found this ... http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3200649898.html ... and have no idea if this is the type of bike I should be looking at for riding single track and mud pits with you guys. Price is right. The internet has been helpful in telling me this is a fast bike. But past that, I am a loser. Anyone wanna edumacate me? :-)

higworld screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 02:11 PM
Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #16840
Michhub
Major Medical

He's probably got the hold on part right I had a 2-stroke 500....I called it the "Christine" of dirt bikes

Sold it with a cast on my leg....a 250 might be a bit less hazardous....you need a plate for national forests and such...
sand pit/mud pit riding or private property stuff is few and far between 'round here...I'd get something plated if I could and you still might need the trailer to get to the good stuff like Hatfield McCoy etc etc...my 2 cents...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #16841
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:

Thanks!
http://charlottesville.craigslist.or...130342792.html Something like this would be in the ball park maybe. A DRZ 400 in good shape will pop up sooner or later and would be street-able. I always thought the XL 400 would be a nice bike but never rode one. I bought a brand new KLX 250 for my son for 1900 or 2 grand. I can't remember. That's a super little bike, good on the street and when we take it out west all you need to do is pull off the breather box top and it runs fine.

Heck look at this. Rusty chain and looks like he painted the engine and frame with a rattle can but ... http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/mcy/3203941486.html

I know some of those are more than 1000 but ability to ride it on the street to a trail would make a big difference in lots of applications.

This just in here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818150

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 05:08 PM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #16842
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Hig, like the others are saying, save up a bit more and get something you can put a tag on. Look at stuff like klx250s or f, xt225, tw200, drz400, klr250. I'd stay away from two strokes. The off road and race bikes are a bit more labor intensive.

The hard part is your budget. Don't rush, just look and read up on some of the models until you see a good one come along.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #16843
schlitz
the slow one

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
No leads on the scum that got your bike? I've been keeping my eyes peeled (it was kinda easy to identify).
Not really. My neighbor told me that his ATV got swiped a little while back so it looks like somebody's trolling for off-road toys.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #16844
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Hey Highworld, I would also throw the XT350 into your searches.I had a nice running one a few years ago that I wish I could have kept. I picked it up for $800 and sold it a few years later after it was fixed up a bit for $1000
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #16845
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Well, That Was Odd

Hopped on the bike this morning to go to an appointment. Smelled gas. Really strong. Looked down and fuel was spritzing out of the right side, right around the injector. Stopped and it started to sizzle on the exhaust. I was concerned.

Rode it home (not bright, I know, but only a couple of miles), parked it, and drove the car to the appointment. Came home, started up the GS, and ... no spritz. Wiggled everything, leaned the bike left and right, nada. Seems I remember smelling gas a few weeks ago as well, but couldn't see the culprit. This time I did.

I'm sure it has something to do with the injector, or the injector lines (the main fuel lines are in the area as well), because it was rhythmically spraying. At another light, I could see it painting the ground just under the cylinder in pulses.

I hate problems that come and go. Makes diagnostics a pain. Of course, whatever it is will let loose 100 miles from here, right? :-)