ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #16936
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 901
Today's ride

Hello, Hello

Settled on a B&B in Mt Washington NH tonight. Another 500+ miles today. Managed to make it to the top of Mt Washington ... The highest point in the east coast. Beautiful day! On the way over thought I would challenge a mountain but.... Lost. The road went gravel then two track then single track then boulder. NOT! Had to get the big GS turned around then left the area with my tail between my legs. It's not WV up here!

Tomorrow .... Headed over to Bangor ME and the coast. My intentions are to ride the coast all the way up to Halifax Canada.

It's beautiful up here. That's all I can say.

Jeremy ..... Be patient my friend. When I first moved back to RIC I lived in a townhouse without a garage. With two bikes I either had to keep them at my moms in south side or put them in a rental shed. Once you get your new home you will appreciate the new bike shop. If by chance the HVAC is in the garage .... Do like I did. Vent the system to the garage and make it heated and cooled.

skychs screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 07:06 PM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #16937
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Hello, Hello

Settled on a B&B in Mt Washington NH tonight. Another 500+ miles today. Managed to make it to the top of Mt Washington ... The highest point in the east coast. Beautiful day! On the way over thought I would challenge a mountain but.... Lost. The road went gravel then two track then single track then boulder. NOT! Had to get the big GS turned around then left the area with my tail between my legs. It's not WV up here!

Tomorrow .... Headed over to Bangor ME and the coast. My intentions are to ride the coast all the way up to Halifax Canada.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #16938
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:

Chuck,
As you head up thru Maine, just past Portland, hit the backroads thru Bath. The Maritime Music there is stunning. Then stick along the coast thru Rockport and Belfast. I'd personally bypass Mt. Desert Island and Bar Harbor on the way out. But take the island hopping ferries once you're in Canada. Campobello Island is just east of the easternmost town in the USA, Eastport, and has an incredible lobster restaurant in Herrng Cove, called the Family Fisheries take out. The ferry from there runs up to Deer Island and then across to the mainland. It actually is two ferries between the islands, one of which just runs up on a sandy beach like a WWII Normandy landing craft.

Then stick to the shore of the Bay of Fundy. I've camped in the Fundy National Park just east of St. John (the reversing waterfall is a tourist trap). But take the time to walk the bay when the tide is out. We're talking 30 foot tides there. It is stunning. This is Becoyote walking on the ocean floor at low tide. The top of the island to his left is all that sticks out at high tide. But don't go out too far. The tide come roaring in like a freight train. They actually surf the tidal bore sometimes as it goes upriver at the end of the bay.

I've never been over to Halifax, but if you do go there you can come back along the coast on do the lighthouses. There is a fast ferry back from Yarmouth (SW of Halifax) to Bar Harber, Me. that will save you at least a day of riding, Do try that and catch Bar Harbor on the way back. Don't forget, you have an appointment in WV next weekend.

Ride safe my friend. Eat a lobster roll. Take the time to stop and experience the coast, off the bike. The food and the people are incredible.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 08:12 PM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #16939
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,720
Skychs. I think the ferry No longer runs to bar harbor now. We tried in 2010 but due to the cut of subsidies it was a no go. Have a donier at Venus in Halifax. It is a kick ass treat. Sweet Irish pub down the street too.

Hope you are having a great time and taking lots of pics.

Hope to see you at the BWDR camp out in oct. all are invited.

There will be kan jam!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #16940
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Hello, Hello

Jeremy ..... Be patient my friend. When I first moved back to RIC I lived in a townhouse without a garage. With two bikes I either had to keep them at my moms in south side or put them in a rental shed. Once you get your new home you will appreciate the new bike shop. If by chance the HVAC is in the garage .... Do like I did. Vent the system to the garage and make it heated and cooled.
Sounds like you are having a good time.... however , keep an eye out for moose. They're everywhere up in that area and to hit one is a no win situation.

Ride safe!!

Old 08-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #16941
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,720
Hope you guys are ok up there. House shaking wind ,rain and thunder here in Norfolk 30 min ago. Tornado alerts on the home alarm panel.. Be safe fellas.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #16942
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
if there are any here interested in golf. they need to go watch those ladies next year. they are impressive.
Did you see Lyberty Anderson out there? She had a gallery of close to a hundred following her on her second round day on Saturday. Two years ago at 13 she won the Richmond Womens Golf Association Championship. She plays regularly at Meadowbrook CC where I play. She is an incredible high school player and as a rising junior has already secured a scholarship and committed to play at UVA in a couple of years. Watch for her on the LPGA in the future.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #16943
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Hope you guys are ok up there. House shaking wind ,rain and thunder here in Norfolk 30 min ago. Tornado alerts on the home alarm panel.. Be safe fellas.
Been out all morning in the driving rain in a field at Pocahontas State Park at my boys first Cross Country Meet of the season. Soaked to the bone and glad to be home in the warmth. At least I wasn't in my running gear. Those kids are tough!!
Old 08-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #16944
skychs
chuck smith

Today's Ride

Wow ....
I just rolled into St John Canada. I wish I had looked at all the post earlier. After I unwind I'll look over the posts then get out the map and plot my course for tomorrow. I'm going to play around the Bay of Fundy a day or two then I'm going to explore Nova Scotia and Halifax. The weather has been awesome. Sunny .... Mid 80's. Actually kind of cool around sunset. The seafood is awesome! Taking lots of photos. No way to post yet.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #16945
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow ....
I just rolled into St John Canada. I wish I had looked at all the post earlier. After I unwind I'll look over the posts then get out the map and plot my course for tomorrow. I'm going to play around the Bay of Fundy a day or two then I'm going to explore Nova Scotia and Halifax. The weather has been awesome. Sunny .... Mid 80's. Actually kind of cool around sunset. The seafood is awesome! Taking lots of photos. No way to post yet.

Sounds like BIG FUN Chuck!! Rock on! Keep posting.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #16946
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Wow ....
Check out Heckman's Island in Lunenburg Nova Scotia (Cool Fisherman's Museum there as well in Lunenburg). Home to the Bluenose Schooner. Still have several relatives in Lunenburg and Halifax.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #16947
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,933
Quote:
Wow ....

at the top of the Cabot Trail, Meat Cove...BWDR sticker on the cafe door.

jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #16948
skychs
chuck smith

Nova Scotia

Good Morning

Jeff .... I approached the shore of Maine via Bangor then Ellsworth so I missed the Bath, Rickland and Belfast area. From Ellsworth I took Hwy 1 all the way around to Stephen where I entered Canada. Very nice area. Nice people and great food. Sorry Guy ... No moose sightings yet. Not real impresses with the campgrounds up here. They have everyone camped on top of each other. Need more SPACE!

Today I leave St John (not St John's with an S) and head up to Moncton where I will take Hwy 101-103 all the way around to Halifax. I have an old skydiving buddy who lives in Shelburne which I will try to locate. After all that I have to start heading home. No iron Butts going home so it should take a couple long hard days. I'm still planning on WV by next Sat.

I'll check into the ferry out of Yarmouth. That sure would help for the ride home.

John ... Lunenburg is on my path. I'll be sure to stop and look around.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #16949
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Did you see Lyberty Anderson out there? She had a gallery of close to a hundred following her on her second round day on Saturday. Two years ago at 13 she won the Richmond Womens Golf Association Championship. She plays regularly at Meadowbrook CC where I play. She is an incredible high school player and as a rising junior has already secured a scholarship and committed to play at UVA in a couple of years. Watch for her on the LPGA in the future.
saw her at the putting green. She was on the other nine the first day, she started on #1, we started on #10. Saturday, I saw her following at #9, when we we're teeing off #4.

she missed the cut. But, got great experience playing against that caliber of players.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #16950
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,755
had a great ride to Damascus and back Friday and Saturday

except for doing the back stroke for 80 miles yesterday coming home
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote